Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
Texasmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: So sick of the paper pushing in public school...

I wouldnt wait I just pulled my kids out after the christmas break the best thing I ever did.

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I have huge respect for school teachers, but that doesn't change the fact that, however well meaning they are, they are very limited in what they can accomplish with so many children in a class. And all kids are at different levels. It's not a shot at ps teachers to say that some kids will have to work below their skill level while others aren't ready for certain material or activities.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #13
7mom7
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainandRedemption View Post
I have huge respect for school teachers, but that doesn't change the fact that, however well meaning they are, they are very limited in what they can accomplish with so many children in a class. And all kids are at different levels. It's not a shot at ps teachers to say that some kids will have to work below their skill level while others aren't ready for certain material or activities.

I agree...I think the worksheets are busy work to keep them quiet so the teachers can work more one on one with other students. I was in the GT programs in elementary. My teacher made me push my desk up next to hers along with a kid that was struggling. I'm not really sure what the purpose of this was. I remember my sister walking into my class one day because I forgot my lunch money and she thought I had gotten in trouble.

I also remember begging my parents to take me out of the GT program because none of my friends were in there and we'd be pulled out of something fun like PE to go do extra science experiments and math...they did. I can remember bubbling in fake answers on our first standardized test in elementary because they said we could go to recess when we were finished. I didn't even read the questions.

I'm not anti-public school but I just feel like homeschooling can provide a better education and allow my kids to learn at a level that they are capable of. I'd rather them be playing outside than doing busy work.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #14
croark
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainandRedemption

Right! That's what I was trying to day. I'm not knocking ps teachers at all. I have alot of respect for them.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #15
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was in a similar situation last year. I wanted to HS DS but we had a baby in Sept. and I started out HS'ing him for K, but we enrolled him in PS in September after I became overwhelmed. He finished out the year in PS, but I regretted the decision everyday. We are HS'ing this year and learning a lot about HS'ing...I will do things different next year . But, DS likes it better than PS and has admitted things like he was bullied and picked out, bored, and told his 5 year old sister that she wouldn't want to go to PS b/c it's so BORING!
Old 02-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #16
TooBusyBearcubs
Registered Users
Formerly: K**ten
seller

My Mood:

I say order some age-appropriate stuff and start HSing now. Find a co-op that you can get in to, and network with some other homeschooling families. I think you'll be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktoes View Post
*trim*

Something to consider, classrooms are limited in the number of qualified aides, have high class sizes and have to focus on certain skills so that testing goes well. That is politics. Teachers are limited in budgets and ability to make individualized tasks. Consider how much time you spend planning homeschool for 1 child. Now multiply that planning time for 30-40, then add behavior management (consider that many children in the classroom come from unstable homes) and the children with special needs - from cerebral palsy to autism to learning disabled and dyslexic and speech and language disorders. And don't forget IEP meetings, lunch duty, and a variety of other meetings.

Most teachers do an amazing job with one hand tied behind their back. Some teachers are so burnt out and stretched so thin, they are just trying to do the best they can.

*trim*

I don't feel it's fair to criticize teachers when so much of the picture is behind the scenes. If your child comes home with too many worksheets, ask the teacher why. If you ask in a non-threatening way, I'm sure the teacher would be happy to explain the rationale. (and often times, it's other parents that bring in the sugary snacks, at least that is what happens at our daycare)

Just some thoughts.
I didn't read the OP's post as critical of the teacher, with the possible exception of the worksheets not really being evaluated, and I agree with that part. Worksheets without follow-up instruction is just busywork. In this case, it sounds like it is also cutting into family time and play time, both of which are essential and should not be cut short for something that isn't a priority. If the teacher doesn't have time to go over all of the worksheets that she asks her students to complete, than it sounds like she may need to work on prioritization.
Sadly, mama, in your reasonable defense of public school teachers, you have outlined some of the major reasons why so many parents (even many former teachers who have first-hand knowledge) are choosing to homeschool. Teachers and students are almost universally over- or under-whelmed in our current system of schooling. No, it isn't the teacher's fault, but neither should the children be made to endure (some just barely) such failings in our structure.
Unfortunately, I have to ask...when a teacher's hands are so tied and she has so little say over what happens in her classroom, what expectations can a parent possibly have in talking to her?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainandRedemption View Post
This exactly! This is one of (if not the main) major drawback of the current PS system. The kids's needs aren't the priority anymore.

Last edited by TooBusyBearcubs; 02-22-2013 at 11:01 PM.
TooBusyBearcubs is offline   Reply With Quote