Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #431
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: ****Winter**** Chicken Moma chat thread. Join in the chat!

The boys? That aren't so little anymore? LOL The female I sold, these boys are a crack up they think they're dogs. They really haven't changed a lot. Still mostly black and white, starting to get their rooster hackle and saddle feathers. Glossy green with gold for the 2 black/white and grey/white for the one that's my rooster's mini-me. Soon time to cull these guys. They're around 3 mos old now.

Advertisement

3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #432
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

oh and only one crows. He's getting pretty good tho. The new batch of babies are due on the 27th-28th.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #433
Melmonkey
Creator Of The Pixie Skirtie<br>www.hyenacart.com/Melmonkeyszoo
seller
seller

My Mood:

sounds like I am the only one who has noisy crowing all day roos!

Old 02-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #434
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

That chick in the jar still cracks me up.

OK so y'all this is the best you get for 9 more days.

Mel, in the corner of the incubator at the left I have a mason jar as a "heat sink" it helps stabilize the temp for the thermometer. I actually have 2. The tupperware on the bottom under the wire that has a green lid is full of water also. The one in front is the open water pan for humidity. you can see my temp/hygrometer to the right. It has a inside temp (air temperature inside) and the outside temp is what the probe is reading. The probe is set inside a water wiggler, I make the home made kind where I put water inside a ziploc baggie and tape it into a tube. I set that inside the jar and stick the temp probe inside it. Thats at the other corner at the top. That gives you a liquid read which will simulate the temperature that the inside of the eggs are holding. Ideally, the air and liquid temp will never waver more than a degree apart. It helps with maintaining temps SOOO much. The carton is something new I'm trying from Sarah's advice. Last time I just laid them on their sides but this is supposed to be better for shipped eggs.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:58 PM   #435
RJ6Mommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
Duh, meant to ask.....will you be selling eggs? Are you starting a breeding program?
If I know they are fertile and figure out how to ship them I may. I am going to hatch some and sell the birds I do not need locally for sure. Maybe once I figure outhow to ship eggs I will keep you posted. I may need another rooster to garentee a good hatch rate since this rooster will have 11 hens because of my seven laying hens in the coop too.
Erin married to Justin since 3/2/02 , EBF, CDing, BWing, vaxing, SAHM to 7 Kids, 6 on earth and 1 in heaven. Ruben James 9/10/99 , Robert Justin 10/5/02 , Rebecca Joy 12/5/03 , Raychel Jolee 3/30/05 , **Russell Jack RIP 12/14/06**, Rylan Josiah 7/3/08 , Ramsee Jayce 4/24/11
RJ6Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:47 AM   #436
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
oh and only one crows. He's getting pretty good tho. The new batch of babies are due on the 27th-28th.
Can't wait to see the new lo's!!!! I know you're excited. I bet the boys are handsome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmonkey View Post
sounds like I am the only one who has noisy crowing all day roos!

Yay!!! Thanks for sharing the pics. LOVE them.What a precious little sweetie you have there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
That chick in the jar still cracks me up.

OK so y'all this is the best you get for 9 more days.

Mel, in the corner of the incubator at the left I have a mason jar as a "heat sink" it helps stabilize the temp for the thermometer. I actually have 2. The tupperware on the bottom under the wire that has a green lid is full of water also. The one in front is the open water pan for humidity. you can see my temp/hygrometer to the right. It has a inside temp (air temperature inside) and the outside temp is what the probe is reading. The probe is set inside a water wiggler, I make the home made kind where I put water inside a ziploc baggie and tape it into a tube. I set that inside the jar and stick the temp probe inside it. Thats at the other corner at the top. That gives you a liquid read which will simulate the temperature that the inside of the eggs are holding. Ideally, the air and liquid temp will never waver more than a degree apart. It helps with maintaining temps SOOO much. The carton is something new I'm trying from Sarah's advice. Last time I just laid them on their sides but this is supposed to be better for shipped eggs.
That one little silkie. Aw! Keep us posted with pics when they atart to peep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ6Mommy View Post
If I know they are fertile and figure out how to ship them I may. I am going to hatch some and sell the birds I do not need locally for sure. Maybe once I figure outhow to ship eggs I will keep you posted. I may need another rooster to garentee a good hatch rate since this rooster will have 11 hens because of my seven laying hens in the coop too.
Yea, you possibly may want another roo. Keep me posted for sure.I'd like to have a cpl to keep the onesI will be getting from Fodie late summer company. BYC had some great info and pics on shipping eggs. made easy, lol. And you will get the hang of it!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #437
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Ok here's the trio this morning. Hanging out by the back door LOL. The one on the far left is the one that crows.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #438
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs
Ok here's the trio this morning. Hanging out by the back door LOL. The one on the far left is the one that crows.
Oh I love them! Do not all roosters crow? I didn't realize that!

A little OT but I'm excited! A mama here on DS made me this! I cannot wait to get it and see how long it takes DH to notice! He's always a bit self conscious about how he smells, he's a farmers and the smell just kind of sinks in. I don't notice much anymore but it bothers him. So I think he'll love this!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #439
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

That's cute! They'll all crow eventually, he's just an early bird. He started at 7 weeks old! Normal is around 18-20 weeks old. Plus with any group of roosters there is a hierarchy. Many times the lowest roosters on that hierarchy will behave more like hens, no crowing no mating simply because they aren't "allowed" those privileges. The one in the middle is the one we were thinking of keeping. He's started yawning when the other crows. He's practicing the feeling, so I know he'll do it soon too.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #440
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs
That's cute! They'll all crow eventually, he's just an early bird. He started at 7 weeks old! Normal is around 18-20 weeks old. Plus with any group of roosters there is a hierarchy. Many times the lowest roosters on that hierarchy will behave more like hens, no crowing no mating simply because they aren't "allowed" those privileges. The one in the middle is the one we were thinking of keeping. He's started yawning when the other crows. He's practicing the feeling, so I know he'll do it soon too.
Oh that makes sense. silly question, but should you always keep 1 rooster? I'm not sure what we'll do if/when we end up with a few :-/