Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #11
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ideas, don't know what else to do.

do you swagbuck yet? both of you doing it a few hours a day (2 accounts) should be $100+

anything you can ebay?

can either of you tutor students? I know one teacher who got 3 times what the school paid. Here the teachers get almost 90,000 a year, they say it's poverty, seems OK to me

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #12
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

I would also REALLY play up his tutoring skills and SPED knowledge. I have a son with autism who has a tutor 4 hours per week. If he can run autism programs or tutor special needs kids that will help. Hit up local homeschooling groups - maybe he can run a mini-history class. What about if he works as a "manny" or special needs assistant to boys? I think he should be making flyers, putting ads on CL, reaching out on FB etc. Honestly I would LOVE to hire someone like your DH - males with SN's experience AND teaching skills are rare.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:13 AM   #13
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

^^ Totally. I have heard lots of people with teaching degrees offering tutoring. History may not be the easiest to find work, but what about remedial math and English? Maybe proof-reading skills? Freelance online writing in social studies might be something that he could look into as well.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:13 AM   #14
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Heck. the early morning shift at Starbucks would probably pay more than $300/month.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:42 AM   #15
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh hon, how I wish I could help you!!!

I've been wracking my brain myself trying to figure out how to bring in some extra $$ before DHs pay cut, I can't imagine how stressed you must be at the thought of going to nothing!! I'm just going to throw out any idea I can come up with here, maybe something will spark an idea at least?

Local churches - I know a lot have funds to help families get through a rough patch, which is exactly what you guys need!

Food banks - we survived by these a few times growing up!

YMCA/YWCA - sometimes have programs to help through tough times

Selling books/text books - I don't know if this would work with you being where you are, there are probably so many places there buying back books that finding them free/cheap (thrift stores, used book stores) may be impossible, but thought I'd throw it out there...

I'd say sell a bunch of your beautiful shirts/onsies, but I can't imagine you'd have time to work on them with a new born and the twins!

What about house sitting or pet sitting? It's something your DH could do...

Does your DH have anything outside his career he's really good at? Like painting furniture or cleaning or something you could market?

What about mowing lawns? Seriously throwing out anything here!

Anything you could easily fix up/upcycle to sell? I'm trying out towels with snaps, looking for EEUC hand towels at goodwill and putting snaps on them and selling them on our local shop n swap site... upcycled woolies? Pillowcase dresses? Unfortunately again that's you trying to make stuff with a (joyous) handful of LOs...

Tree blocks? I've thought about doing this. A year or more ago I found some tree branches on the side of the road and had DH cut them into tree blocks for my girls. I see branches listed as firewood for free on craigslist all the time... Maybe you guys could make up a couple batches of those and try selling them either locally or on etsy?

Go you have a fairly active craigslist in your area? I see really nice stuff in the free section all the time, maybe you could pick up free items and clean them up and sell them?

I'm so tired, but I'll come back if I think of more! My mom might have some ideas too, lord knows she got us by on nothing many times!

I also found this:
http://www.womansday.com/life/saving...-Money-at-Home
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:44 AM   #16
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh, you could also call the power company and see if they have any programs to help or if you can make an arrangement to put off payment a couple months?
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:11 AM   #17
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

*Hugs*

Been there, totally understand!

You've gotten lots of good suggestions, but if all else fails home depot is hiring right now for their spring seasonal positions and there's always waitressing. My good friend waited tables all while getting his PhD and by that point they had two kids. If you've got to work during the day, he can work at a coffee shop in the morning and a restaurant at night. It's hard work and odd hours but when something like this happens, you just gotta do it kwim?

At this point, I would pay the essentials: food, housing, utilities first. Just don't worry about your other bills until you have the money/work and then you can arrange repayment plans.

Are you an adjunct or full time? What's the situation going to be like once the baby comes, will you be able to take time off from the classes you're teaching?
Old 02-19-2013, 06:13 AM   #18
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

Oh and right now is the time for private test prep (ACT/GRE) tutors. Does not matter if he has no experience at all, it's a matter of publicizing himself.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:45 AM   #19
JellEBeanDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I do content writing, have him apply at textbroker and blogmutt.
JellEBeanDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #20
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlmrs View Post
You've gotten lots of good suggestions.

At this point, I would pay the essentials: food, housing, utilities first. Just don't worry about your other bills until you have the money/work and then you can arrange repayment plans.

Are you an adjunct or full time? What's the situation going to be like once the baby comes, will you be able to take time off from the classes you're teaching?
Yes I have, thanks ladies! He applied for a whole mess of jobs yesterday. We were hoping he could get his old tutoring job at Sylvan back but they seem to be really busy for some reason and are not returning his calls. He only left that job because they suddenly had no work for 3 months back between summer and fall sessions and he needed something!

We have been searching Craigslist for not just jobs but tutoring as well, good idea about putting up an ad for himself and letting people find him. I will do that today.

As for my job situation I get full maternity leave but I have to work up to the day I deliver unless I have a doctors note saying I need to leave early. It is sadly in my best interest to stay because if I go early I have to come back in 6 weeks for the end of the year but if I stay then my maternity goes right in to summer. I am on a one year contract that is up in May and I have had all sorts of issues with my job discriminating against for being pregnant. They tried to violate my contract and I had to hire a pregnancy advocacy lawyer to get them to follow my contract. We are considering a lawsuit once the baby is born, that university NEEDS to change their practices.