Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2013, 01:05 AM   #1
desikay92
Registered Users

My Mood:
Cloth diapers or disposies?

This is my first time on this site, and my first baby. She due to be here in May, and I am the only income provider. I'm trying to decide on the cloth diapers or disposies...I need some help because I don't want to make the wrong decision, and I am extremely tight on money.. I'm terrified! Can someone PLEASE, help me understand whats so great about cloth diapers? I have a friend whose completly against them but the only reason they have given me is more work..? also , clothdiaper . com is where I was going to buy my cloth diapers if I decided upon them. Is this a good choice? The total for 3 dozen diapers and 2 diaper covers came out to 82.95$ but I've been trying to compare prices. Is this a good deal?

Please help, I'm so lost. And extremely stressed out!

Advertisement

desikay92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:28 AM   #2
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cloth diapers or disposies?

forwhat you are looking at in coat I spent in like month on disposables for my second girl who I changed a ton in an hour. my stash will go through potty training for girl as she's a light wetting kids but boy is already at few Weeks olds powering as much as she is. 300 to 400 for my stash for 2 kids. would have saved money. water isn't much and same with other things like detergent as I had bought on sale and need for baby clothes anyway. you can be creative too and not but 80.00 wet pail. people think cloth is unsanitary our just are not informed I think as I have seen many ads on craigslist asking for help in being cloth started as one lost a job and they can't aired disposables. I user old shirts for queries. towels some for inserts. no dryer for most is things for my cloth.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:35 AM   #3
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

clothis cite and doesnt droop when wet like disposables. if you want a read I think Kellywells.com book called changing diapers: modem cloth diapers says lots there.... I found good to read but I got after I started Anne loan or to people interested in cloth. I startedout by asking proposer I saw with them. we I think leaked more in disposables. you don't have to worry on winning out of diapers I cloth. if you have towels is good temp fix or we never lots is towels so we actually use like all our towels and wash cloths we don'tuse otherwise.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:41 AM   #4
starbeam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i think cloth diapers are a little bit more work, but if you start out with a lot of information and good diapers and covers, it's not very much more work at all, especially once you get used to it and get into a rythm.

first of all, there are lots of different types of cloth diapers...from most to least expensive (on average, it varies by brand) they are:

AIO (all in ones) - these are waterproof outers with a diaper inner all sewn together. you put it on, take it off when wet/soiled, and put on a new one. they are easy to use, but take a long time and lots of water/electricity to wash and dry, because they are all sewn together, and usually wear out sooner than other types of diapers

Hybrids/AI2 (all in twos) - these have a waterproof outer shell/cover with some sort of flap or pouch that you put an insert diaper into. when they get wet/soiled, you can just change the insert and re-use the cover unless the cover has poop on it. you can usually reuse the cover several times between washing, so the covers last longer than AIOs, and since the inserts and covers come apart, they wash and dryer more thoroughly and faster, and in my opinion they're just as easy to use. after all, how hard is it to lay an insert into a cover? these diapers usually have covers and inserts made by the same brand that fit well together and are designed to go together, but you can buy different diapers and use them as inserts, such as folding prefolds or flats into pads and using them as inserts in hybrid covers.

Pockets - these have a waterproof outer shell with a fleece or suedcloth inner, that is open on one end like a pocket, so you can stuff an absorbant diaper insert into the pocket. some people reuse the shell and just stuff a new insert into the pocket a few times between washing, but most babies get diaper rash from doing this. you SHOULD throw the whole thing in the laundry and use a whole new shell AND insert each time you change the diaper. just like with All in Twos, you don't have to use the same brand shell and insert. you can fold a prefold or flat into a pad and use it as an insert to stuff into the pocket, or even use things like dishtowels folded into pads, or receiving blankets. the only benefit of pockets over All in Ones is that they come apart, so they wash and dry faster. i HATE pocket diapers. stuffing inserts into pocket diapers is so time-consuming and annoying, but some people love them.

Fitteds - these are just a diaper made out of an absorbant fabric like cotton, hemp, bamboo, etc. they usually have snaps or velcro to close them. you have to use a cover to go over these, or when they get wet, the urine will soak onto your baby's pants. you can use PUL (polyurethane laminate - the most common waterproof diaper cover material) Covers, Fleece Covers, or Wool Covers over fitted diapers. they wash and dry pretty quickly and are easy to put on and take off.

Prefolds - these are rectangles of an absorbant fabric like cotton, hemp, or bamboo, etc in several layers, with the middle third of the rectangle having more layers than the two outside thirds. you can either fold them around your baby in a diaper shape and pin them or fasten them with a Snappi (a new style of diaper closure), or you can just fold them Hot-Dog style into thirds and lay them into a regular diaper cover, a hybrid/AI2 diaper cover, or stuffed into a pocket diaper, and then close the cover...no pinning or wrapping around baby involved. these come in different sizes - some brands have 3 sizes - infant, standard, and premium - and other brands have more sizes - newborn, small, medium, large, and toddler. depending on how yours are sized you just have to fold them a little differently. there are millions of youtube videos showing you how to fold prefolds, and how to use them padfolded into thirds to lay or stuff into a cover. you CAN just get 2 - 3 dozen each of infant and standard sized prefolds and use them padfolded into thirds without buying any other diapers - just you have to buy covers in different sizes, OR covers that adjust to different sizes (some covers have snaps to make them taller or shorter, and smaller or bigger). this is a very cheap way to diaper and you can easily find infant (use until about 4-6 months) and standard (use from about 6 months through potty training) prefolds on boards like this for sale used for very cheap. prefolds wash and dry VERY quickly and VERY well and are very easy to use, in my opinion

Flats - these are very large squares of an absorbant fabric in just one thin layer. you can use these like prefolds - fold and wrap the around your baby in a diaper shape and pin or Snappi them closed, or just fold them into pads to lay into a diaper cover or stuff into a pocket diaper. Youtube has tons of videos of how to use these also. i think flats are harder to use than prefolds because they take more folding and the folds are more complicated, but once you get good at it, it is easy. the great thing about flats is they are the cheapest type of diaper you can buy, and you only need ONE size from birth through potty training. also, they wash and dry very quickly and easily since they are only one layer.

if you want an easy, cheap diapering system, i recommend either buying 2-3 dozen prefolds each in infant size and standard size and padfolding them into thirds to lay into covers. get 4-6 covers for each size. i don't think the adjustable-sized covers that say they work from birth through potty training fit really little or really big babies very well, but there are also adjustable-sized covers that come in 2 sizes, so the size 1 fits babies in Newborn and Small sizes, and the size 2 fits babies in Medium and Large sizes, so you can buy just 2 sizes of covers (4-6 each) instead of 4 sizes. these usually do fit all babies pretty well. i recommed the Thirsties Duo 2-Size Cover system, they are great covers. you should be able to get all the prefolds (with no holes or rips...try not to worry about stains, all diapers get them and they don't affect anything other than looks and noone sees it once the cover is on anyway) and covers (make sure the elastic and snaps or velcro is still all in very good condition and make sure they are still waterproof) that you need used on this forum for around $100

i don't recommed clothdiapers.com that you were looking at. Osocozy diapers are not that great, they leak and wear out fast. get better brands used on here, they will fit better and last longer.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:53 AM   #5
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

thereare lots of suggested places to but cloth too off you diy a search on here from mamas. start beam AIDS great job at describing types.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:52 AM   #6
NewMommy7
Registered Users

I agree with starbeam. The least expensive way to go is to buy prefolds and covers used on this site or even on ebay.com. I like rumparooz covers (some people list them as "Rar" in the forums). They don't seem to leak and you can't feel wet throught tje baby's clothes.
I would also make another suggestion since you are a working mom. Buy at least six pocket or all in one (AIO) diapers for overnight. They are much faster and easier to put on and they will help you get back to sleep faster. Feel free to personal message me with any specific questions!
NewMommy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:45 AM   #7
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For price compare, check out cottonbabies.com, kissedbythemoon.com, and diapersafari.com all free shipping. Other good places are diaperjunction.com and nickisdiaper.com they have free shipping at certain price points.

I would say that it is debatable whether or not it is cost effective to cloth diaper a newborn, but after the cord has fallen off and the babe has got a little bigger there is no question it is more cost effective.

I would say its different work. There is more laundry but less trash and midnight runs for sposies. Most will agree that there are less pooped on baby clothes to clean and/or throw out. If your friend hasn't tried it than she really isn't a good source of information.

Good Luck
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 02-19-2013 at 06:07 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:24 AM   #8
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Another thing to remember, to continue, is that in general newborns don't fit in small or one size diapers (no matter what the lower weight claims). My first was 8.5lbs at birth but didn't fit into SM and OS diapers until his third week. If your baby is smaller they may use newborn diapers longer though.

Since I cloth diaper from birth I like to use the DUO diapers, they generally fit newborns and go up to about the Med size, fully into the One Size. (thirsties is a popular brand but there are others)

For #2 I am getting mostly duo sized covers with newborn and infant prefolds. A smattering of fitteds and AIO that are duo sized or smalls that actually fit larger newborns. Then when babe starts out growing these at 3months-ish I will start looking into what I prefer for older children which is the AI2 style diapers with snap in inserts, they are One Sized.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 02-19-2013 at 06:09 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:42 AM   #9
kittenbaby77
Registered Users
seller

Cloth diapering really saves money. It also help with environment. I chose prefolds and covers and they are so easy to wash. Fast to dry in the dryer. Cheap. No stink. Fit any baby well. My lo had bad rash with pampers disposables but rash cleared with right away with cloth diapering and cloth wipes. I haven't had blowouts coz how well those prefolds fit on baby as baby grows...... i would suggest buying 24 premium prefolds and 4 flips covers (one size fits all) try and see if u like cloth diapering. You can start cloth diapering when you r settle down with baby... Like the second month. Assuming you will get plenty of disposable during baby shower . Good to use them up for the early days for cord healing and stuff. ( flip covers on sale are like 7-10 dollars each. Premium unbleach prefolds are 1.75 each or so on cottonbabies.com.. With a little over $100 you got a full time cloth diapering system that last till baby potty trained!!) even if you don't like cloth diapering later on, you can totally sale it for half the price. Doesn't hurt to try.
kittenbaby77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:15 AM   #10
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The hardest part about cloth diapering is deciding what you will use. After that, its a breeze.

See if you have a cloth diaper store (brick and mortar) in your city. You can get tons of info by visiting there.

Also, u mentioned you are the only income provider. Will your child be going to daycare? If soclotsa daycares have rules about cloth diapers. So, before u move any further with your research, I would see what your daycare even allows.
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote