Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Sick kiddo...

I know this sounds utterly rediculous, but what should I do for my ds? He's got a cough that's slowly gotten worse the past two days. Yesterday he had a runny nose, but it's gone now and no fevers. It's mainly just a cough that's slightly hacky. I have the humidifier running, but is there anything else?

He has rsv when he was 4 months old and spent 5 days in the hospital so I'm really nervous. Dh is gone working and I'm scared it's going to turn to rsv and he'll be hospitalized again. He had a flu shot a couple months ago too if that helps any.

Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I always do humidifier and vapor rub, and make sure they sleep with their upper body at an angle, usually by propping up one side of the mattress slightly with a folded towel beneath it. If they're under 2 I buy the liquid menthol stuff you can put in the medicine spot of the humidifier.
mibarra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
BigSamsMom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Sick kiddo...

How old is he Momma? My Ped told me that once they've had RSV that young, if they ever catch it again, it won't be any worse than a cold.
If he's old enough for Meds, use Mucinex to loosen/thin the congestion. If he's under 2, take him in the shower with you and suction his nose with saline really good afterwards. If you went through RSV, do you still have a nebulizer and Xopenex/Albuterol? A breathing treatment won't hurt. Other than that, what PPs have said Vicks, sleep elevated, humidifier. If he is under 1, use Baby Vicks and not regular Vapo Rub.
BigSamsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
He just turned 16 months we still have the nebulizer and lots of albuterol but idk if it stays good that long? My pedi said once they have it, it's easier to get again. This time he doesn't have the stuffy nose though. It was runny one day, but not even enough to where I could use a suction bulb.

Sleep is a hard one too. He's a insane wiggle worm and flops all over and sleeps with his butt in the air feet tucked under him. If I elevate one side I think his bum will just end up being extra high lol.

Last edited by MothyrGrimm; 02-16-2013 at 09:53 PM.
MothyrGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
painter412
Registered Users
seller

babys vicks makes my children cough more.. it can be dangerous. it uses a fragence. the less meds the better. i would ask your doc for more advice.
painter412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Seems like he's coughing mostly at night. During the day it's only every now and then. Still no fever. Hopefully it'll just go away without and worries.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
7mom7
Registered Users

I'm not one to rush the kids to the doctor for every sniffle but I do take coughs seriously. We do steam showers, therapeutic grade essential oils, albuterol, colloidal silver (drops in nose), GSE (mixed in juice) and immune boosters (vit D and briar rose) when my kids get coughs. They are rarely sick but coughs seem to turn to bronchitis quickly in my house.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #8
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mom7 View Post
I'm not one to rush the kids to the doctor for every sniffle but I do take coughs seriously. We do steam showers, therapeutic grade essential oils, albuterol, colloidal silver (drops in nose), GSE (mixed in juice) and immune boosters (vit D and briar rose) when my kids get coughs. They are rarely sick but coughs seem to turn to bronchitis quickly in my house.
Is there a site that explains how to do these things? His cough is pretty much gone now, but I'd like to know for future coughs.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #9
KdEMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Have you introduced anything new in the environment or his diet? My son just went through a bout of this, same symptoms but couldn't get rid of the cough (mainly at night/nap time). I was just trying to switch him over to regular cows milk. Removed the milk, the cough went away. It could just be an allergy to something that's causing more phlegm in the back of his throat cause him to cough more.
I also used a humidifier, vicks, and I added something I picked up from a local health food store called Eldertussin Elderberry Syrup good for baby that weight more than 24 lbs.
Good luck!