Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
Lanolin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What is the minamalist color?

White? I am thinking about doing some painting in our main living areas, I do want something light. I was originally thinking cream, but would white be better? These are low light areas with only a few windows. So I can't wait to brighten them up. Also would a gloss or semi gloss reflect the light better? Painting tips for making the room look bigger and brighter? TIA

Advertisement

Lanolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
dalynnrmc
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What is the minamalist color?

We are doing some painting in exchange for lower rent in the house we moved into this past fall. The color I chose for the big part of the walls is a little darker than I'd thought, but it works pretty well. It's a sandy color, and then the trim is a darker chocolate brown. I like neutrals and then to add color pops with the furniture, curtains, etc, just for practicality's sake.

Yep, I'd normally say white but, for us, white just shows the dirt. With little kids who sometimes color on the walls, often touch walls, switches, knobs with dirty hands, and a momma who doesn't have time to keep up with it all... I just wanted to steer away from white this time and do something "different". So, tans and browns it was!

I have some pictures if you'd like to see. If I can upload pictures? I'm not even sure....
dalynnrmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
Lanolin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd love to see pictures! I am worried about white showing dirt especially with little ones. I just love how clean and fresh it looks. I don't really want to do brown or beige though....
Lanolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #4
dalynnrmc
Registered Users

My Mood:

YES! Showing dirt, exactly my issue. I'll see what it will let me do with pictures! New here....
Old 02-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #5
dalynnrmc
Registered Users

My Mood:

Old 02-19-2013, 04:50 AM   #6
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:

What about pale yellow or green? I would also go for a satin paint for the inside. Gloss is used more for trim, like baseboards etc, because its sooo SHINY.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:27 AM   #7
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have a light creamy yellow on our entryway with white trim - it really brightens up the area and we continued it into the kitchen (not like we had a choice, the whole downstairs is tiny and each room kind of spills over into the next).
We also have a small amount of accent in the kitchen - a midrange warm orange, kind of pumpkin color. It really makes the space feel warm and cozy, coupled with the yellow.
I would do flat or eggshell unless your walls are pristine - semigloss is going to show every. single. flaw in your walls and you will have to look at them forever. The previous owner did semigloss in the living room and I highly regret not painting over it before we moved in.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
dani_p
Registered Users

A trick I learned from my old boss (I worked for an interior designer) to make a room look brighter/ bigger: paint the two walls opposite the windows/doors (where the most natural light shines) one or two shades darker than the other two walls. The light will make those walls appear the same color as the other two walls; eliminating shadows and visually expanding the room.
Expecting number two (04/14)!
dani_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #9
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

Behr Linen White!!!! It absolutely *transformed* both my older early 80's house and my current 1939 Craftsman farmhouse. They both were dark and dingy looking before. Linen White is like a warm sunshine-y hug for your walls. Literally the first thing people ever say when coming into our homes was something about how bright and inviting it was or complimenting the beautiful paint color. We went with Linen White throughout our current home with crisp white trim (Behr Decorator White) and a few splashes of color. LOVE it.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
I like grays. I have a nice light grey in the living room now

Your not a woman until people come out of your vagina and step on your dreams. Louis C.K.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote