Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
need help getting DS to eat more table food

Please, no flames
DS just made 2 this month, but he won't eat table food. He does eat oatmeal, bananas, raisins, sometimes apples, applesauce. I can get him to eat chicken, turkey, stew, but it has to be mixed a little with applesauce. He mostly eats that or oatmeal mixed with fruit.
I keep offering new foods, but for the most part he spits it out. He did eat a chicken McNugget (yeah, not the best choice but I was thrilled he bit it) and he will try french fries (again, not the best)
I want him to eat more variety, and more texture. We are going on a trip in June and it would be nice to not have to pack him special food.
He does have allergies to dairy, egg whites and peanuts

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I would keep offering. They seem to prefer blander at first mostly. My DD2 goes nuts for noodles, fruits like peaches and melons, you can try different flavor applesauce too.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
OHIOFIFI
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: need help getting DS to eat more table food

I am in same boat with my 18 mo old. He eats tomatoes and just about any fruit as well as noodles, mac & cheese, rice, carrot chips, avocado, and cheese as well. Last week he only wanted to eat his tomatoes, today he wants nothing to do with them. Very frustrating. I tried something different today and made mini pizzas on english muffins -- english muffin, 2 spoonfuls of Ragu pasta sauce, pepperoni, mushroom and a slice of mozzarella cheese. I put it under the broiler for about 6-8 mins. He surprised me and gobbled it up. Then ate a yogurt. I really want to get him to eat more veggies and consistent meals. I never thought of mixing it with applesauce because he will eat that. If that is what you have to do to get him to eat, I would do it. In fact, I may try that with my DS.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
rebekka117
Registered Users
seller

my ds is the same way, just turned 2 and just isn't very interested in eating. everyone says ' he'll eat when he's hungry!' so i try not to stress about it and go with that. so long as you (and I!) are offering healthy foods then whatever he eats you know is good for him, no wasted calories on chips or cookies or crackers. make every calorie count!
rebekka117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
gigismomma
Registered Users
seller

Do you think he may have some sensory issues with textures?

If he does not have sensory issues, then I would just keep offering what you are eating and keep special meals to a minimum.

If he has sensory issues and is having a difficult time with textures, I don't think it is fair to play "tough love" and expect him to eat what you want. My oldest had sensory issues and would spit out most solids. She simply could not chew and swallow certain foods, no matter how hard we tried and no matter how hungry she got. She really was content to starve if she was only given foods she could not handle. So in some cases, I don't see the big deal over offering special meals in order to keep him eating SOMETHING. It's not like you will have to pack applesauce and oatmeal in his school lunches.....it will get better. If you do suspect sensory issues, I would get an OT evaluation. It helped my daughter tremendously......she is now 4 and eats everything! But given the texture-y foods he will eat (apples, oatmeal, raisins), I suspect he may just be being picky.

Last edited by gigismomma; 02-19-2013 at 07:35 PM.
gigismomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekka117 View Post
my ds is the same way, just turned 2 and just isn't very interested in eating. everyone says ' he'll eat when he's hungry!' so i try not to stress about it and go with that. so long as you (and I!) are offering healthy foods then whatever he eats you know is good for him, no wasted calories on chips or cookies or crackers. make every calorie count!
I completely agree.

No special meals required on your trip - you just offer what's there and if he's hungry, he eats. If he doesn't... well, then he doesn't. Of course, will help to establish this now before you're trying to relax on a vacation.

DD is not a picky eater.. BUT she is. In general, she eats what we eat, but she will not eat most 'toddler fare'. So, I have issues there and I do sometimes have to bribe her with her favorites in order to get her to eat the rest. Which includes things like 'you can have more salad if you eat a bite of spaghetti' or 'you can have more fruit if you eat a bite of your chicken'.

they will not starve themselves. They will, however, quickly learn that if they refuse what's on their plate, you will give them something else.

ETA: also, DD doesn't like nuggets... but she will eat chicken strips more readily. To be fair, nuggets are sorta gross. She doesn't readily eat kraft mac&cheese but she will skarf down the Annie's cheesey shells....

you can TRY the whole 'dipping' thing where you give them applesauce or yogurt or ketchup or whatever to dip things into.. with the idea that they will bite whatever they're dipping.. but that has never worked for my kid.

and try to remember the things that set them off. For instance.. DD likes waffles hot off the waffle iron.. plain with no butter or syrup. But if we give her waffles or pancakes on her plate, she won't eat them. If someone puts syrup on them, she REALLY will not eat them (thanks FIL for adding syrup last time we visited - why don't people listen to parents??? lol)

and finally, remember that to maintain their weight and gain appropriately at the age of 2, a child needs to eat approx 1/4 of what an adult needs to eat. So, if you eat 4 carrot sticks, then 1 carrot stick is all that should be expected of a 2yo. Of course, you can give them more - you don't have to regulate to that amount.. but you also can sorta figure in your head what they've eaten and chances are pretty good even if it looks like they haven't eaten enough.. they probably have.

Last edited by EmilytheStrange; 02-19-2013 at 07:33 PM.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigismomma View Post
Do you think he may have some sensory issues with textures?

If he does not have sensory issues, then I would just keep offering what you are eating and keep special meals to a minimum.

If he has sensory issues and is having a difficult time with textures, I don't think it is fair to play "tough love" and expect him to eat what you want. My oldest had sensory issues and would spit out most solids. She simply could not chew and swallow certain foods, no matter how hard we tried and no matter how hungry she got. She really was content to starve if she was only given foods she could not handle. So in some cases, I don't see the big deal over offering special meals in order to keep him eating SOMETHING. It's not like you will have to pack applesauce and oatmeal in his school lunches.....it will get better. If you do suspect sensory issues, I would get an OT evaluation. It helped my daughter tremendously......she is now 4 and eats everything! But given the texture-y foods he will eat (apples, oatmeal, raisins), I suspect he may just be being picky.
Yeah, since he will eat certain things, I think he's just being picky and well, 2. It's frustrating though. He just spits things out

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
I completely agree.

No special meals required on your trip - you just offer what's there and if he's hungry, he eats. If he doesn't... well, then he doesn't. Of course, will help to establish this now before you're trying to relax on a vacation.

DD is not a picky eater.. BUT she is. In general, she eats what we eat, but she will not eat most 'toddler fare'. So, I have issues there and I do sometimes have to bribe her with her favorites in order to get her to eat the rest. Which includes things like 'you can have more salad if you eat a bite of spaghetti' or 'you can have more fruit if you eat a bite of your chicken'.

they will not starve themselves. They will, however, quickly learn that if they refuse what's on their plate, you will give them something else.

ETA: also, DD doesn't like nuggets... but she will eat chicken strips more readily. To be fair, nuggets are sorta gross. She doesn't readily eat kraft mac&cheese but she will skarf down the Annie's cheesey shells....

you can TRY the whole 'dipping' thing where you give them applesauce or yogurt or ketchup or whatever to dip things into.. with the idea that they will bite whatever they're dipping.. but that has never worked for my kid.

and try to remember the things that set them off. For instance.. DD likes waffles hot off the waffle iron.. plain with no butter or syrup. But if we give her waffles or pancakes on her plate, she won't eat them. If someone puts syrup on them, she REALLY will not eat them (thanks FIL for adding syrup last time we visited - why don't people listen to parents??? lol)

and finally, remember that to maintain their weight and gain appropriately at the age of 2, a child needs to eat approx 1/4 of what an adult needs to eat. So, if you eat 4 carrot sticks, then 1 carrot stick is all that should be expected of a 2yo. Of course, you can give them more - you don't have to regulate to that amount.. but you also can sorta figure in your head what they've eaten and chances are pretty good even if it looks like they haven't eaten enough.. they probably have.
Thanks. I may give the dipping thing a go.
And the nugget thing, yeah, they're kinda gross. THey're only a sometimes treat as I try to limit them. I only offered it because i just wanted to see if he would eat it. I was completely shocked that he did, and honestly, I was a bit pleased. not that he was eating crap, but because he actually ate food.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #8
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

oh, I'm not saying anything was wrong with offering the nuggets - I've offered them, that's how I know she doesn't like them

just that little things like 'nuggets vs strips' can sometimes be important to them.

and fish sticks? gross to me.. but she eats those better than chicken nuggets as well.