Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #21
crunchyNurseMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Cas***29
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29
I did this as well, but found that even well-shrunk blankets and flats got wonky in the wash if they were sewn together, so I stuck with sewing flats together in 4 layers, and blankets together in 2-3 layers.

Birdseye will continue to fray a lot. Try to serge them somehow, and be sure to use wooly nylon thread.

After a TON of experimenting, I found that making inserts like this in 10x12" for newborn and small and 13x15" for medium/large works GREAT in Grovia covers. I could use them as soon as baby's cord stump fell off, with smalls trifolded the short way until about 11 pounds, then bifolded the long way to about 17 pounds. Around 18 pounds we switched to the larges and trifolded short way to about 23 pounds, then long way to 35 pounds. A small folded inside a large is awesome for toddlers at night!

I used the smalls as PP pads until baby's stump fell off, and she wore sposies for that first week--no need for a newborn stash

I bought flats off FSOT and blankets from the thrift store. Also used old sweatshirts (2 layers), flannel bedsheets (2-3 layers), old cotton tshirts (3-4 layers), and old towels sandwiched between flannel or old tshirts. Good luck!
This sounds like a great idea & super simple! Thank you for the dimensions too! Can you post pics of some (I am a visual person
I plan to use lots of snap in soakers on the medium & large setting but pad folding on the small setting. Do the 4 layer flats dry up quickly?

Advertisement

crunchyNurseMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #22
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Re: If this works ... I'll be excited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyNurseMommy View Post
This sounds like a great idea & super simple! Thank you for the dimensions too! Can you post pics of some (I am a visual person
I plan to use lots of snap in soakers on the medium & large setting but pad folding on the small setting. Do the 4 layer flats dry up quickly?
Ummm, I have no idea how to post pics. Sorry!

Four layer flats dry in the dryer in about 30 minutes. Flannel blankets take 45 minutes when sewn together. I could never get Grovia soakers to dry in less than 60 minutes, even the new staydry ones, so that's why I switched to these trifolds full time. We also needed more absorbancy.

One thing I learned, if dimensions are really important to you, they will somehow manage to shrink up a bit after sewn together. Not sure how, but anyway, make sure to cut them plenty big, don't skimp on it. Mine vary by a full inch in either direction and it drives me CRAZY. Good luck!

Last edited by Melinda29; 02-19-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #23
cajsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: If this works ... I'll be excited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29 View Post
I did this as well, but found that even well-shrunk blankets and flats got wonky in the wash if they were sewn together, so I stuck with sewing flats together in 4 layers, and blankets together in 2-3 layers.

Birdseye will continue to fray a lot. Try to serge them somehow, and be sure to use wooly nylon thread.

After a TON of experimenting, I found that making inserts like this in 10x12" for newborn and small and 13x15" for medium/large works GREAT in Grovia covers. I could use them as soon as baby's cord stump fell off, with smalls trifolded the short way until about 11 pounds, then bifolded the long way to about 17 pounds. Around 18 pounds we switched to the larges and trifolded short way to about 23 pounds, then long way to 35 pounds. A small folded inside a large is awesome for toddlers at night!

I used the smalls as PP pads until baby's stump fell off, and she wore sposies for that first week--no need for a newborn stash

I bought flats off FSOT and blankets from the thrift store. Also used old sweatshirts (2 layers), flannel bedsheets (2-3 layers), old cotton tshirts (3-4 layers), and old towels sandwiched between flannel or old tshirts. Good luck!
Great information Melinda! Thanks for sharing!