Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
7arrows4God
Registered Users
seller
seller

100% wool pull on covers?? Sbish Underwoolie but not their soaker? Others?

Okay I am looking for 100% wool pull on covers that are trim and fit under clothes. I have used WCW in the past which is interlock but not 100% wool. I am looking for 100% wool and that fits under regular clothes.

Now I looked at my sbish underwoolies and was shocked to see they are 100% wook, which seems strange since their soakers and pants are not -- they have a little bit of poly?

But the underwoolies are very stretchy like their soakers and pants, do you think they are truly 100% wool, while their pants are not?

Is there any other pull on soakers out thier that are 100% wool and work trim enough to go under sleepers and also good at not getting compression leaks?

My underwoolies can get damp fast.

thanks hugely.

Advertisement

Canadian mama to 13 blessings ds(18), ds(17), ds(15.5), ds(13.5), dd(11.75), ds(10), ds(8.5), ds(6.5), dd(5.5), dd(3.5), dd(2.5) , ds(15 months) and #13 due end of AUGUST. And yes that is while nursing night and day. :O)
7arrows4God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Woolybottoms has some that are a thinner wool.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:13 AM   #3
keithmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Loveybums pull on soakers. I also like royal bums.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:37 AM   #4
McDMom
Registered Users

Loveybums and WCW make up my wool stash. I love these two!!!
Old 02-20-2013, 06:40 AM   #5
McDMom
Registered Users

Loveybums and WCW make up my wool stash. I love them both!!!
Old 02-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #6
klevmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: 100% wool pull on covers?? Sbish Underwoolie but not their soaker? Others?

So, here's the thing with this. Anything that is a pull-on style (soakers, shorties, pants) needs to have "memory". This means that it will retain its original shape. Otherwise, over time, the waistband will stretch out and will no longer hold the article up. This can be accounted for with ribbing (why knit items often have ribbed waistbands), because knit ribbing is tighter / stretchier than "regular" knitting (which is really called stockinette). This is the reason you often see drawstrings through ribbed waistbands of handknit wool items. The ribbing helps hold the article up to some extent, and then the drawstring sort of doubles that effort.

Another approach to adding memory to wool are to add elastic within the waistband. In this case, the memory is provided by the elastic. This is the case with your underwoolies. The are able to be 100% wool effectively, because they have elastic in the waistband that will hold them up. They really are 100% wool (with a piece of elastic sewn inside).

One other approach to adding memory is to blend the wool with a small bit of elastic material - most of the time lycra is used for this. It's usually a 95 / 5 or 97 / 3 blend. The whole purpose of this small amount of lycra (the poly you are referring to) is to allow the garment to retain its shape, especially in the waist. This is the case with sbish longies, shorties, and soakers.

All knits are going to be stretchy - it is the nature of knits. The small amount of poly is what brings the piece back into its shape after you are no longer stretching it :-)

So, if you want something trim enough to go underneath pants, you pretty much want an interlock soaker, or possibly a recycled sweater soaker with interlock waistband / cuffs (like woolybottoms). In this case, you will either find items with elastic sewn in (a la sbish) or with a small amount of poly, probably lycra, added. It is possible to find them made out of 100% wool, but most people won't make them that way because customers are displeased when they stretch out over time.

Loveybums does make a trim interlock soaker - I can't find on their site they are 100% wool or a blend though, so you would have to ask them. I'm pretty sure woolybottoms use 100% wool in the body but a blend in the waistband and cuffs (though I'm not 100% sure on this either). Another one to look at is the Engel organic merino virgin wool nappy pants (hard to find, but they have them at littlespruceorganics.com). These are very much like the underwoolies in style. I don't know if they have elastic or not, and you would also want to write the store to confirm they are 100% wool (though I think they are).