Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
shoebert
Registered Users
seller

Breastmilk storage bags?

What kind of bags does everyone use to store their milk? I've been using Lansinoh but have just had it with the leaks in the bags. At first I thought it was just because I had dropped a couple out of the freezer (when frozen) and it caused a hole, but I've had several now that have leaks in various places on the side, and today one right out the top! And these are bags that I haven't put much in - maybe 3-4oz per bag. Does anyone have bags the use that work better?

Advertisement

shoebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I use that brand. Have for years. Never leaked. Not once. Are you freezing them flat? That's a huge help.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
Re: Breastmilk storage bags?

Yeh I always used lansinoh without more than the occasional leak. If you have a full box of bags that leak you should return them to the store as defective. I tried using medela bags for a while because they had a hook to allow you to pump directly into the bag, but the bags themselves were stiff and the hole in the top made them impossible to pour.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

All bags have occasional leaks. I actually think that Lansinoh bags are some of the better ones. I used to use those all the time. I use Honeysuckle bags exclusively now. They are the cheapest, by far. I buy them in bulk online. They are just like the Lansinoh bags, only thicker. They have occasional leaks too.

I donated 750oz privately, back in Oct or Nov. That milk was in 4 different kinds of bags. I talked to the recipient about leaks recently. She said that 3-4 of those bags have leaked. She said they were all different brands and that they were usually bags with around 4oz in them. I used to think that only the fuller bags leaked. Apparently this is not the case.

The only real solution I have found it to thaw the bags inside of a sealed ziplock baggie. Then the milk is salvageable if the bag leaks. You can reuse the same Ziplock baggie over and over again until a milk bag leaks inside of it.

Last edited by ashley84; 02-19-2013 at 09:55 PM.
ashley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
shoebert
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the feedback. I do freeze the bags flat. I'm not sure how many bags I've had a leak with but maybe a dozen? Not more than 20. And that's out of... I'm not sure... 10 weeks of ~4 bags a day. So I guess percentage wise maybe it's not that much. The last month I've been putting ~8 ounces per bag so I hope that doesn't cause additional problems.

I'll have to check out the Honeysuckle bags! Where do you buy them online? Amazon?
shoebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #6
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I only use the lansihol bags. I hate the medela bags. I used them but couldnt' get more than 4oz in the bag and with the hole in the top it is a PITB to pour out. I have never had one leak in the freezer, but like anything frozen in a bag, you can get a hole if they get banged against something. I always thaw in a cup or bowl so if it does leak I can still use the milk.

Infact the bags I pulled out for monday's bottles one had a tiny hole.

I started putting 10oz in each bag to save bags and by the time I need this milk I will need more than 3 or 4 oz at a time.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #7
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I only use the lansihol bags. I hate the medela bags. I used them but couldnt' get more than 4oz in the bag and with the hole in the top it is a PITB to pour out. I have never had one leak in the freezer, but like anything frozen in a bag, you can get a hole if they get banged against something. I always thaw in a cup or bowl so if it does leak I can still use the milk.

I started putting 10oz in each bag to save bags and by the time I need this milk I will need more than 3 or 4 oz at a time.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:28 AM   #8
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Old 02-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I thinking overfilling the bags is a huge part of it. I don't think you should ever put more than 6oz in a Lansinoh bag. Even 6oz might be pushing it. That's stretching the bag way beyond it's capacity. The bags are stretched further when they freeze.

I honestly can't even imagine being able to fit 10oz into a single bag. I guess if you're committed to always thawing them out in Ziplock baggies, it wouldn't be as big of a deal. If the seams are split the milk will turn bad much faster though.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #10
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm surprised no one has recommended honeysuckle. these bags rock! order one pack and you wont be disappointed you can literally feel how thick they are!