Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #11
mamaspice
Registered Users

We are getting a lot of wear out of Speedo water shoes for play- flexibility is really important to me and these fit the bill for way cheaper than some of the other softer-soled brands.

ETA: I even have some for myself!

Advertisement

Last edited by mamaspice; 02-20-2013 at 01:01 PM.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Thrifty kids shoes?

When we've needed cheaper shoes I usually look at Target. They frequently have knock offs of nicer brands that have held up okay and fit nicely. I try to stick with buying one pair of decent shoes (they wear crocs in the summer and mud boots in the winter for play) if I can afford it, but that isn't always possible. I am not usually willing to spend the money on a more expensive brand especially for my littler kids if I think they may outgrow them really fast. I usually go with Target shoes for them. My older kids tend to stay in the same size longer so I buy them nicer shoes (Merrells, Keens, etc) on Zappos.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #13
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands&Fire Pottery View Post
Ebay and CL- search by size-
Haven't found anything I especially like on either site, most of the stuff looks too worn.

Thanks for the heads up on 6pm.

Turns out my mom has a coupon to Payless so we'll be heading there tomorrow or Friday.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #14
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernHollow View Post
When we've needed cheaper shoes I usually look at Target. They frequently have knock offs of nicer brands that have held up okay and fit nicely. I try to stick with buying one pair of decent shoes (they wear crocs in the summer and mud boots in the winter for play) if I can afford it, but that isn't always possible. I am not usually willing to spend the money on a more expensive brand especially for my littler kids if I think they may outgrow them really fast. I usually go with Target shoes for them. My older kids tend to stay in the same size longer so I buy them nicer shoes (Merrells, Keens, etc) on Zappos.

I can never catch shoes on sale or clearance at Target. And the quality of the shoes makes it really painful to pay full price when I know that for the same amount or a few more dollars I've been able to find high quality shoes gently used. Now that gently used doesn't seem to be an option any more I'll have to start looking at Target again.

So far Ladybug has been able to get away with a pair of play shoes, a pair of church shoes and a pair of boots. Itsy hasn't needed shoes and won't for a long time because of hand me downs.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #15
ambieone
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Kmart has some sneakers for $9.99, I saw them in the sale flyer for this week.
ambieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:07 PM   #16
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
IME size 12, 13, and sometimes 1 are very difficult to find on sale, especially in brick and mortar stores. Often I have had to buy them online at payless and ship to store for free. My suggestion is to go ahead and buy your size 13 and maybe even 1 shoes (depending on how fast she grows) in the offseason clearances. I see size 2 and up on sale and clearance in stores all the time but not 12,13, and 1.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #17
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Try ebay out of season......few months ago I sold euc keens for very low, maybe about $12-14 as I just need them gone. In the summer they would be bid up like crazy.

I'm currently on the lookout for winter stuff for next year......looking for a snowblower on clearance, snow boots for myself and probably DS1 as he doesn't have any....moving to slightly colder climate.

Also garage sales....cheap enough so you can stock up for ahead and not the worst loss if they don't fit.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #18
Ducko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I try to find brands i know fit my kids and buy ahead on clearance. I have several pairs just waiting in the closet to size up. My boys picky about how their shoes fit. My youngest has SPD. So keeping with ones I know they like it important. January I spent $75 and got four new pairs of See Kai Runs and Kai's for my guys. Great deal when they run $40-60/pair.

Wife to Eric. SAHM to Gray (6/08) and Seth (4/10)
Ducko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #19
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Ditto on Keens from 6pm. We never wear them out, only outgrow. But consignment stores have been better, since we're at an age of not wearing them for long.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #20
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

For those of you who buy the next size up, how do you figure out which size to get? For example, Ladybug will need winter boots next winter and there's a pair of Keen boots in size 13 for which the price is right. She's at size 11 now and is down to one pair of shoes that fit but I'm not sure for how long. Is it a safe bet to go ahead and get the size 13?