Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Wondering what clued you in to an issue...

My youngest had feeding issues from birth, I had to pump for months and feed her with the models SN nipple. By 7 months she was at the breast doing good (still nursing now at 15 months)

She did have laryngomalacia but it was mild (ds had it severe) and is almost cleared up (she only squeaks while in a deep sleep)

But she chokes on any liquid in a sippy cup. She takes a sip, turns red and then coughs. She isnt phased by it much but I am thinking it can't be normal.

She eats table food without incident.

Early intervention is coming next week. What are we in for?

Thanks!

ETA: she also coughs and gags when she cries sometimes. She will start crying then just start coughing, then gag and be fine.

Advertisement

Last edited by ktmelody; 02-20-2013 at 11:10 AM.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone have a child with dysphagia?

Have you done a swallow study yet? I would ask for one. At the study, they will try thin liquids, and then gradually thicken them til they are a consistency that the child can safely swallow without aspirating.

For our son, who aspirated, they had us use one of these isntead. It changes the shape of the mouth, and the opening is better for thickened liquids.

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 02-20-2013 at 12:59 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola
Have you done a swallow study yet? I would ask for one. At the study, they will try thin liquids, and then gradually thicken them til they are a consistency that the child can safely swallow without aspirating.
Not yet.

We were with early intervention for my 3 year old until she aged out. With OT, speech and developmental therapy. The slp we worked with is a feeding therapist as well and she is doing the evaluation next week, along with the same developmental therapist. She isn't speaking at all as well so we were concerned there. (No words at all at 15 months)

I assume she will tell us if we need a swallow study done. I just don't know who does the swallow study....maybe I need to make a Ped appt and get a stupid referral.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
Eph&Ella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD had layngiamalcia, tracheamalacia, and subglottic stenosis. She nursed fine, oddly but anything from a cup, spoon etc was a struggle. We did use Simply Thick for a short time but she hated it. I just had to play around till I found something that worked. Sitting up or slightly leaning back was a major requirement.

Our ENT did a swallow study and a bronchio scope which really helped to see what we were dealing with.

Good luck mama!
Eph&Ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eph&Ella
My DD had layngiamalcia, tracheamalacia, and subglottic stenosis. She nursed fine, oddly but anything from a cup, spoon etc was a struggle. We did use Simply Thick for a short time but she hated it. I just had to play around till I found something that worked. Sitting up or slightly leaning back was a major requirement.

Our ENT did a swallow study and a bronchio scope which really helped to see what we were dealing with.

Good luck mama!
Did she outgrow her problem?

She nurses fine now which is great, but she is a throat clearer. I spoke to our slp and she said she would recommend the swallow study. So I am putting in a call to the Ped.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It will be done by an SLP in a hospital radiology dept. Very easy, and pleasant for the child. If kiddo is upset, you get a false reading, so kiddo has to be in a compliant mood. The whole thing takes about 10 minutes.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola
It will be done by an SLP in a hospital radiology dept. Very easy, and pleasant for the child. If kiddo is upset, you get a false reading, so kiddo has to be in a compliant mood. The whole thing takes about 10 minutes.
Thanks, our slp said that's sometimes the ent does it, just depends on the pediatricians referral. I am anticipating a hearing test anyways since she isn't talking so hopefully we can just get it all done.

Last edited by ktmelody; 02-20-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #8
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Your pediatrician should be able to arrange the swallow study and I agree that that is the route to go. How long has your DD been using a sippy cup? I'm sure you have already, but experiment with a lot of different kinds of slow-flow sippys and see if there are any that might help. My son has had dysphagia his entire life due to a combination of medical issues and acquired behavior, although for him liquids are ok but he has trouble with solid foods. He also had laryngomalacia, though, but he seems to have outgrown that now at 3. I can tell you from experience that the earlier you negotiate feeding issues the better off you will be - when babies/toddlers continuously encounter something that is unpleasant/uncomfortable/painful, even if it is something routine like drinking, they will learn to avoid it and the avoidance behavior is very difficult to contend with as they get older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
DS has had three done, 2 by a SLP in a hospital setting as well and one was supervised by an ENT. Unfortunately they were definitely NOT easy nor pleasant for him. He hates every moment of it and they have to force the stuff in to his mouth in order to see anything at all - the last two times they were only able to get the first (liquid) in before he was so upset they had to stop. They usually go in stages - liquid, syrup, paste, cracker? or something to that affect. BUT, DS has severe oral aversions too (thanks to the acquired avoidance behavior I was talking about earlier). Hopefully OP your experience goes smoother though and that you get the answers you need!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #9
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeinstarrz
Your pediatrician should be able to arrange the swallow study and I agree that that is the route to go. How long has your DD been using a sippy cup? I'm sure you have already, but experiment with a lot of different kinds of slow-flow sippys and see if there are any that might help. My son has had dysphagia his entire life due to a combination of medical issues and acquired behavior, although for him liquids are ok but he has trouble with solid foods. He also had laryngomalacia, though, but he seems to have outgrown that now at 3. I can tell you from experience that the earlier you negotiate feeding issues the better off you will be - when babies/toddlers continuously encounter something that is unpleasant/uncomfortable/painful, even if it is something routine like drinking, they will learn to avoid it and the avoidance behavior is very difficult to contend with as they get older.

DS has had three done, 2 by a SLP in a hospital setting as well and one was supervised by an ENT. Unfortunately they were definitely NOT easy nor pleasant for him. He hates every moment of it and they have to force the stuff in to his mouth in order to see anything at all - the last two times they were only able to get the first (liquid) in before he was so upset they had to stop. They usually go in stages - liquid, syrup, paste, cracker? or something to that affect. BUT, DS has severe oral aversions too (thanks to the acquired avoidance behavior I was talking about earlier). Hopefully OP your experience goes smoother though and that you get the answers you need!
We have tried all kinds of sippys and bottles and nipples since 6 months and its always the same. Any thin liquid gets choked on. But she is not avoidant. She takes a sip, inhales it, coughs for a few seconds then takes another sip. She has no sensroy behaviors (i have orally sensitive kiddos in my home) and she isnt like that at all. Just does not do good with liquids. Mealtimes and never a battle so hopefully the swallow study is painless for us.

Calling the ped tomorrow for a referral. Our slp said she is bringing a few cups next week for us to try out (medical grade I guess). Thankfully we have a great relationship with our slp, ot and dt and have gotten in super quick. Although I probably should have done this after she was born and having so many issues nursing and nippling feeds. Her weight gain was great so we were not too concerned.

Thanks for your insight mama. Will update later!
Old 02-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #10
Eph&Ella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody

Did she outgrow her problem?

She nurses fine now which is great, but she is a throat clearer. I spoke to our slp and she said she would recommend the swallow study. So I am putting in a call to the Ped.
She still has what we call "flare ups." She calls them "frog in my throat" days. Any cold or allergies and she swells in her throat. Our Doc will just call in prednisone for her and 3 days later she is fine. She had intervention services for 2 years but now talks pretty well. She still kind f breathes funny and will choke occasionally.

Keep us posted on the swallow test.
Eph&Ella is offline   Reply With Quote