Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: My DD has a rash no matter what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeGreen2011 View Post
Is it a rash or perhaps excema? I thought my son had a rash so we started using baby powder at every change. Baby powder is frowned upon since it can be harmful, but I was desperate. It worked for a bit then stopped. I took baby to the doc and found out its excema (which we knew he had) that's aggravated by the diapers. So basically he'll have it until he's PL'ed. It's not serious and doesn't seem to bother him, but we've been bathing him in Cerave wash and that seems to have helped some.

From my iPhone, probably while BF'ing.
It might be. My DH says it's normal for babies to have rashes all the time I disagree but wonder if this is the case with DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris View Post
Where is she getting this bumpy rash? Have you tried any type of regular ointment in the area, just a thin layer to help protect her skin? My son always had to have stay-dry as well as breathable covers or he'd be rashy too. I think you're doing the right thing w/the breathable wool. What kind of stay-dry liners are you using?
It's above her labia. We're using fleece liners right now. I left them off today and just have cotton on her and I put Earth Mama Angel Baby Bottom Balm on her. Hope it helps. I also put some CJ's BUTTer Plus thinking that might help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiechick77 View Post
We found that an oatmeal bath soak like Aveeno helped short term and DS had eczema and other rashes. We had a lot of rash issues so for us Tide seemed to help plus occasionally boiling or small amount of bleach to get them extra clean. It took a long time to figure out that for us it was not a rinse issue but getting them clean enough.
I started adding a little bleach to every wash load but wonder if maybe I need to strip them now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernHollow View Post
I have so been there I loved CDing my other 4 (for the most part), but it has become such a struggle with my 18mo. I actually sort of hate cloth at this point and wish he was PLed. It is working for him right now though, so I stick with it despite not enjoying it I have found that he absolutely cannot handle detergents with optical brighteners and enzymes. I know we talked about it before, but Country Save (with a vinegar rinse) has been a total lifesaver for us. He is fine even in PUL now that has been washed only ever in Country Save, which is a huge deal for us. He still gets rashy if I don't change super frequently or if he poops during nap (which is daily it seems). Just FYI, but when I tried switching to natural disposables he had just as many rashes. Some kids are just sensitive.

I've had the best luck sticking with plain organic cotton, making sure he is cleaned and fully dried at each change and then using coconut oil as a barrier. We actually have had better luck with Pampers sensitive wipes over natural sposie wipes or even cloth with gentle wipes solutions. They work better for him than even plain water actually. I know that I've met a few other mamas that have found the same.
Thanks for the tips! I will have to look for those wipes next time I go to the store. I've been using coconut oil plus a little Dr. Bronner's baby mild in our wipes solution.

Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Another vote for Country Save with vinegar rinse. My childhood pediatrician who is still a good friend says she sees more skin problems from Tide than anything. It does not have enzymes or a number of other ingredients that coat and stay on the fabric.

So sorry you're dealing with this!

Lanolin is truly amazing, but yeah its sticky. We use Target brand Up and Up Sensitive wipes (purple package) that have lanolin.

You might skip the soap in the wipe solution, and only use it for poops. For us it breaks down the skins natural barrier too much. I also don't over wash at baths, using Cerave once a day and soap only if he pooped that day.

I LOVE using neti pot rinse packets (or 1/4 tsp each baking soda and sea salt) in 8 oz water for wipes. It's antibacterial, anti stink, and matches skin more closely than water (water itself can dry skin, lol).

We actually don't wipe at every change, either. With frequent changes it just wears skin down. Fresh urine from a healthy body is sterile and healing. Weird but true.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #13
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrennaII View Post
Another vote for Country Save with vinegar rinse. My childhood pediatrician who is still a good friend says she sees more skin problems from Tide than anything. It does not have enzymes or a number of other ingredients that coat and stay on the fabric.

So sorry you're dealing with this!

Lanolin is truly amazing, but yeah its sticky. We use Target brand Up and Up Sensitive wipes (purple package) that have lanolin.

You might skip the soap in the wipe solution, and only use it for poops. For us it breaks down the skins natural barrier too much. I also don't over wash at baths, using Cerave once a day and soap only if he pooped that day.

I LOVE using neti pot rinse packets (or 1/4 tsp each baking soda and sea salt) in 8 oz water for wipes. It's antibacterial, anti stink, and matches skin more closely than water (water itself can dry skin, lol).

We actually don't wipe at every change, either. With frequent changes it just wears skin down. Fresh urine from a healthy body is sterile and healing. Weird but true.
Thank you so much for all the tips! I will definitely give it a try. And I'm going to go to Target tomorrow!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #14
mollypeters
Registered Users
seller
seller

if u can get a liquid lanolin, go with that. then u can just dribble it on her skin and u don't have to touch it
mollypeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #15
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Grapefruit seed extract! I used this with plain distilled water for the wipes solution -- 10-15 drops per oz of water. Could also add an oil if you feel its needed. I think this helped us alot! Have you considered using a gentler detergent?

this is what we use
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../dp/B000M7OOPS
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 02-13-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #16
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
Grapefruit seed extract! I used this with plain distilled water for the wipes solution -- 10-15 drops per oz of water. Could also add an oil if you feel its needed. I think this helped us alot! Have you considered using a gentler detergent?

this is what we use
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../dp/B000M7OOPS

Interesting! I have some of that. I've thought about switching to Country Save. I JUST bought a big jug of Tide and decided to just use it on all of our laundry. *sigh*
Old 02-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #17
AmandaA
Registered Users
seller

Not to hijack this thread... but it has me wondering something. We fight a similar sounding rash on and off. It is only on her "front half" and the little bit of the thigh that ends up inside of the diaper. Pediatrician assures me at every visit that it isn't yeast or anything to be worried about. I've thought it looked like heat rash and attributed it to the pul in the diapers keeping things too moist, even when using a stay dry. We did use sposies for about a week when I had the flu and the rash wasn't miraculously better then either. But now I am questioning my detergent after reading some of the responses (we use Tide F&G). If it were the detergent though, wouldn't I be seeing the rash on her entire diaper area- or other parts of her body since we use it for all of our laundry? When I first started trying to diagnose the rash I thought about detergent issues, but ruled it out for that reason. So frustrating! Cloth, sposies, coverless, all cotton, all synthetic, stay dry, barriers of lanolin, CJ's, Grandma El's and still the rash won't leave town for good! Feel like I have tried almost everything. I don't think it bothers her, but just doesn't seem right. Never had this problem with my son who we know has super sensitive skin and is allergic to all kinds of diaper wipes and creams.
AmandaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #18
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

We have horrible reactions with grapefruit seed extracts... Essential oils are highly risky and don't have as much upside as many milder things, when it comes to skin health.

Www. Beautypedia. Com is a great resource for looking up safety and beneficial qualities of all things skin related.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #19
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

FWIW we get nasty rashes here with regular white vinager however I can use ACV in my first rinse and not get a reaction.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #20
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well, a pediatrician said it is "contact rash". Not sure how to deal with it, but I'm thisclose to burning all my diapers and just doing sposies. I can't tell you how upset I am