Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
Registered Users
Fixing prefolds?

I ordered 3 dozen unbleached prefolds from GMD. They're seconds. Of the 36 I received, 30 of them of near perfect - some I couldn't find anything wrong with and some that don't have straight edges or the stitching is a little off.

3 of them had issues with surging. There was a small (0.5-1 inch) section where the surging was coming undone. I hand stitched them and it seems like the stitching will hold up just fine (I washed them a few times after that).

2 of them had issues with the stitches in the center, holding the middle layers together. I stitched those closed and I think they'll be fine too.

1 prefold has a small hole forming. Is there any way to fix it? I'm afraid that if I continue to use and wash it without fixing it, it'll get bigger and eventually ruin the diaper.

Jen083083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Fixing prefolds?

I would just use it. It may not last as long as the others but I bet it will last a long time
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here, here & a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

I would just hand sew around and over the hole so it won't become bigger too soon. It might only help for a short time though.
Melissa Mommy to DS#1 11/13/07 and DS#2 9/3/10

Melissa Kittle's Knits for Littles~Hand Knit Items~MKsKnitsforLittles
mekjsk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
Registered Users

I woulds make one X stitch over it and then just leave it...too much stitching there could rub and irritate baby, and they're likely to last ages anyway. I'd be more worried about the ones with the incomplete serged edges fraying down.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote