Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #31
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Seats in Cars, is it safe to install a rear facing one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
I wouldn't feel safe taking one out of a totalled car, personally. However, you can usually buy new ones from the manufacturer and have them installed aftermarket. I would do that.
I was kind of thinking that too. But I do know you can have seatbelts replaced. After our wreck we had the seatbelts replaced in our truck just to make sure that they would still hold the weight they need to. It was a little over $100 a belt.

Advertisement

slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #32
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4boys1girlforme View Post
In our case there was only damage to the front of the car and the seat was in the middle of the car- well protected. I think overall it's more important that you are installing a seat directly and securely into the frame of your vehicle- the way that it was safety tested originally. This is the reason after market additions aren't safe. Crash forces are unbelievable and securing a seat (made of God knows what) to your vehicle with plywood would make me very nervous!
There was still strain on the seats. Think about the parts of the seat that were made to hold it to the frame of the car. Even if the wreck was in the front there was still strain on these areas especially if there was someone in the seat at the time of the wreck.

Now I will say that a "totalled" car doesn't always mean smashed to heck. My car was "totalled" after a 5mph wreck that only damaged my trunk lid, bumper and a tail light. It was my Altima vs a big pickup truck. He literally rolled into me at a stop sign. I barely felt it. Everything would have been fine to use in my car but a car that was in a head on collision..not so much.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #33
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkinBoutMyGirl View Post
There was still strain on the seats. Think about the parts of the seat that were made to hold it to the frame of the car. Even if the wreck was in the front there was still strain on these areas especially if there was someone in the seat at the time of the wreck.

Now I will say that a "totalled" car doesn't always mean smashed to heck. My car was "totalled" after a 5mph wreck that only damaged my trunk lid, bumper and a tail light. It was my Altima vs a big pickup truck. He literally rolled into me at a stop sign. I barely felt it. Everything would have been fine to use in my car but a car that was in a head on collision..not so much.
We were actually surprised that it was totaled too- there wasn't very extensive damage at all.
We don't have the car anymore- we traded it in with both the "new" and old seats.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #34
blessed1018
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4boys1girlforme View Post
We were actually surprised that it was totaled too- there wasn't very extensive damage at all.
We don't have the car anymore- we traded it in with both the "new" and old seats.
In highschool a friend's car was totaled when she ran over a deer. Not hit it - she just ran over one that was already hit. The antlers totally messed up the underside of the car when it hooked on something, but the outside of the car looked fine apart from some fir in the front grill down low. So not all "totaled" cars are wrecked in a way that would impact the seats/belts.

Also - she never lived it down...totaling a car that looks perfect.