Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #11
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Washing routine-What's wrong with mine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammacandoit View Post
I've just noticed that if I don't soak, then they really stink. what do you think the bleach would do to the diapers? Besides....1/4 cup vs 1 tbs is a big difference. I wonder about the soap. I looked and it's ECOS FREE AND CLEAR.
I could be wrong, so someone please correct me if I am, but I think the bleach will break down the elastic and cotton more quickly if you soak in it fo too long. I have never used that detergent, but I have hard water and have yet to find an eco friendly one that will get our diapers clean. We stick with tide or gain for the most part. I could probably bleach less often really (I missed several loads a while back and they still smelled fine with just gain) but I am afraid to ruin a good thing. I think cottonbabies recommends 1/4 cup bleach monthly as well, I know I got the idea from a manufacturer.

I don't soak anything not stained because all I can think about is the diapers marinating in filthy water overnight, so they get exposed to more stink. This is my made up rational btw that comes from way overthinking everything.

Advertisement

Last edited by s@hmommy; 02-21-2013 at 01:50 PM.
s@hmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #12
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think if you wash in hot (at night) you won't need to worry about soaking them. Or, if you do still want to soak, I'd do a quick rinse/prewash and then do an overnight soak in hot or warm water.

ETA - and maybe try upping the bleach. I just can't see 1 T being effective...

Last edited by sisu; 02-21-2013 at 01:49 PM.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #13
mammacandoit
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@hmommy View Post
I could be wrong, so someone please correct me if I am, but I think the bleach will break down the elastic and cotton more quickly if you soak in it fo too long. I have never used that detergent, but I have hard water and have yet to find an eco friendly one that will get our diapers clean. We stick with tide or gain for the most part. I could probably bleach less often really (I missed several loads a while back and they still smelled fine with just gain) but I am afraid to ruin a good thing. I think cottonbabies recommends 1/4 cup bleach monthly as well, I know I got the idea from a manufacturer.
I have hard water too....and I always had soft water when cloth diapering before. I bet that might be the problem! I'll try tide.

mammacandoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #14
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I normally do a quick cold wash/rinse followed by a hot wash with detergent/bleach and extra rinse at the end to get out any possible soap residue.
s@hmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #15
mamatoclaire
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I think hot water and a regular detergent should do it, hopefully! And I agree with PP that soaking in bleach can break down your diapers, but you probably aren't using enough to do much harm. I think adding a 1/4 cup to your wash will be more effective than soaking in 1 tbsp.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 02-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #16
mammacandoit
Registered Users
seller

well I'm totally going to try some new soap. How often should I add the bleach? Adding that much doesn't stain the pul?

mammacandoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #17
mamatoclaire
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you get rid of your stink, then I'd say bleach once a month. Or as needed. It doesn't stain the PUL, I just try to wait until the water is halfway then add it through the bleach dispenser. I'm afraid of getting too concentrated bleach on my diapers, lol.

I forgot to ask what kind of diapers you're using? I had stink issues with microfiber but haven't had to strip or bleach since I switched to stuffing my pockets with prefolds.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #18
wifey09
Registered Users
seller

I would rinse before you soak, if you soak. I would drop the soak completely. My advice is similar to pps but I would:
run cold wash/rinse no detergent
wash warm with tide
go to bed
rinse again
hang to dry
20 min in dryer to soften
and I wash every night
and use open dry pail you're creating a smell by keeping it closed

Last edited by wifey09; 02-21-2013 at 06:41 PM.
wifey09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #19
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I hear lots of issues with diaper detergents. try just like ride our dreft. I like qwerty pistol. do you wash poop out first before ? what type of water do your have?
Old 02-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #20
AHASRADA
Registered Users
seller

I have city water, so I have no idea if it's hard or soft, but I was having awful ammonia issues. I use Charlie's soap and have been happy with it. I considered changing detergent, but didn't want to try multiple kinds plus I have a lot of Charlie's stocked up.

I have always soaked on cold with Bac-Out for about 30 min. and added vinegar once the ammonia issues started. The hot wash with Charlie's worked for most things, but overnight diaps and anything with hemp (and some fleece pockets) would smell of ammonia when peed on.

It may sound like overkill, but this is the wash routine I've been using lately that seems to finally work:

- Medium-length cold wash with 2 big squirts of Bac-Out, 1/2 cup vinegar and a quick squirt of blue Dawn. Cold rinse.
- Long hot wash with full scoop of Charlie's and a capful of bleach. Cold rinse.
- Short hot wash, cold rinse (nothing added, these are for rinsing).

I don't know if any of these ideas would help you or anyone else, but it's solved our ammonia issues.

Last edited by AHASRADA; 02-21-2013 at 08:37 PM.
AHASRADA is offline   Reply With Quote