Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
amf78
Registered Users
seller

Need input on destashing

My youngest has been out of diapers for 2.5 years (he will be 5 on Sunday ) so it's FINALLY time to destash some of the diapers. Here's my question: I think a few of the ones we tried to CD overnight with had some ammonia issues. I definitely know which ones we DIDN'T have any problems with, but there is a pile of them that we tried to use overnight that potentially could have ammonia stink. It's been so long that I can't remember exactly which ones, or how bad it was. Obviously we are way beyond being able to test them out. Clearly I would disclose the fact they may have ammonia stink and price them lower than I normally would, but as a buyer would you be scared off? We didn't use any of them overnight for very long because we just couldn't make it work.

Advertisement

Baby Boy #3 EDD 1/14/15
amf78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need input on destashing

Why can't you test them for ammonia stink?
Old 02-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you wet them you will probably be able to smell it. Honestly I would wash them with a lot of detergent and oxygen bleach. Rinse them on HOT. Smell them. As long as they seem not too bad, sell em.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
AHASRADA
Registered Users
seller

A little bleach should take care of it if they're natural fibers. If they're synthetic, strip them.
AHASRADA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

I'd get a box of washing soda, and soak the diaper overnight at 2T washing soda per gallon of warm water. Then a rinse cycle, a hot wash with detergent and 1/4 cup bleach, and some rinses. Then disclose that they will smell like bleach because you just used 1/4 cup on them to prep for sale.

I did this on Grovia AIOs with Country Save detergent and the buying mama said they were very fresh.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
mozartswannabe
Registered Users
seller

I would just strip them then sell them for whatever you can get! But if I were going to buy used diapers I would strip them before using them anyway...
mozartswannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
amf78
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post
Why can't you test them for ammonia stink?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
If you wet them you will probably be able to smell it. Honestly I would wash them with a lot of detergent and oxygen bleach. Rinse them on HOT. Smell them. As long as they seem not too bad, sell em.
I didn't think putting plain water on them would "activate" the ammonia smell, but I will give it a try. I was thinking I would have to get somebody to pee on them and I don't think anybody here would be up for that .

Baby Boy #3 EDD 1/14/15
amf78 is offline   Reply With Quote