Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #11
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: How much have you spent and saved?

Oh I'm sorry I forgot about the dozen - 15 pairs of wool pants...

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #12
Gabe'sMommy
Registered Users

$220 on my newborn stash, prefolds and covers, some boosters, snappies and 8 expensive covers. And 2 pail liners which ill have throughout his diapering years. The xs prefolds will be used as boosters later on. Ill need more sized pf's and OS covers but I'm hearing such raves I think I'll get Diaper Safari covers for the OS and save some money there. I bought 5 LilHelper AI2's and a couple extra liners for $130. So currently at $350. I'm figuring that I'll spend another $80 on pf's as DS grows and 6-8 Diaper Safari covers (keeping my fingers crossed they'll do B1G1 again before I need them!). A couple wetbags and another 5 "easy diapers". I made my cloth wipes which cost me about $7 total for 30 and I need to pick up some micro fleece or suede cloth for stay dry liners. Hopefully my total expenditures for CD's will stay under $650.
Gabe'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #13
QuartzandPyrite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

After buying and selling and buying and selling it's hard to say exactly how much I've spent...but I would estimate that once I'm done stashing in the next couple months (haha) it will be about $1K? I know I've left money on the table with all the buying and selling, but a thousand bucks to diaper two kids to potty training and save for the next kid ain't half bad! I wish I would have had more direction in the beginning, I had no idea what I wanted and I was so overwhelmed by the options. Turns out cotton and covers is what I like best! None of those AIOs or pockets or "systems" or whatever. If I had just started with the stash I have now I could have totally splurged on everything I wanted and still only spent $5-600 for a NB stash AND a OS stash. Oh well. Live and learn!
QuartzandPyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #14
March
Registered Users
seller

No idea how much I've spent, but I know I haven't spent anywhere close to $12,000 on diapers for four kids only to throw them all away.

Last edited by March; 02-21-2013 at 04:48 PM.
March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #15
sweetest
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was keeping track of my buying and selling for a while... my total spending was around $550 after I accounted for all the money I got back from selling. I stopped keeping track because I was doing so much buying and selling... it was just too much to keep up with

Since I stopped tracking, I've probably spent $200 or so out of pocket... Now I'm trying only to buy diapers with paypal money I have from selling.

So overall I would guess I have spent around $800 or $900... I spent so much just trying stuff out to see what I liked... I've been meaning to add up how much my current stash is worth, just to see how much I could have spent if I hadn't had to go through all the trial and error to get here.

If I have another baby (unlikely but not out of the question) I would need to buy a newborn stash but would be able to use my current stash again (BG 4.0, flats, ME Sandys in Small and Large, some assorted doublers, and a few covers)
sweetest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #16
Lanolin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by March View Post
No idea how much I've spent, but I know I haven't spent anywhere close to $12,000 on diapers for four kids only to throw them all away.
good point. this is me exactly.
I did try almost everything. If only I just bought the stash I have now, I would have saved alot more. I guess I learnt alot along the way , I probably wouldn't have started cloth if it was just flats and wool soakers. I started with pockets, thinking it was the easiest system around, and stuck up my nose at the "old fashioned/gramma cd way". I did learn that what is "new and in" isn't always the greatest(this took a few years, lol). Gramma did know best. The money I spent wasn't wasted in my opinion, I gained tons of knowledge.
Lanolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #17
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have no idea. I've cd'd for coming up on 5 years & I have tried most type/style of diaper.

Spent a ton, saved not that much!

I thought it was funnt that most mamas that answered that they spent a little haven't been here very long & have very few if any iTrader ratings. Those that have been here a while (with loads of posts & many many iTrader ratings saved little.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #18
Gabe'sMommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickshep19
I have no idea. I've cd'd for coming up on 5 years & I have tried most type/style of diaper.

Spent a ton, saved not that much!

I thought it was funnt that most mamas that answered that they spent a little haven't been here very long & have very few if any iTrader ratings. Those that have been here a while (with loads of posts & many many iTrader ratings saved little.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k

Wow, I didn't know I had to be here a long time or have iTrader rating to partake in a cloth diapering community. Guess some "crunchy, earthy mama's" are just a judgy as the sposie mama's that think I'm nuts for doing something so "gross".
Gabe'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #19
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've kept a spst of diaper costs since before my twins were born. I've tracked what we paid when we purchased, how much we cleared when we sold, etc. At 2 years 8 months we've spend approximately $900 on diapers (BGE for daytime and Flips for nighttime) including GroVia disposables for vacation. Hopefully we'll be PTing soon and we're not going to be getting much of that $900 back. The vast majority of our diapers are worn worn worn! But $900 for say 3 years of two kids sounds pretty good to me!
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #20
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

there was another thread on this. i think i said there 400 or so & yes saved at 6mo with one kid & 2.5 weeks with new baby... older one in dipes i had to change with the slightest wetness so big econ9omy lasted a little over a month.... lots of $ thrown away. i wish i switched earlier.