Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Steph_cain2002
Registered Users

My Mood:
AIO or AI2

What is the main difference between AIO and AI2. I saw some softbums that are called Echo and referred to as AI2 that have snaps and pockets. Also what AO/AI2 have you use? What do/don't you like about them?

Thank you.

Advertisement

Steph_cain2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: AIO or AI2

AIO are all one piece. Nothing more you have to do before putting them on baby.

AI2 is any system that you can reuse the cover. I originally thought (I would prefer it to be) systems where the insert snaps into the cover. If just wet, the inserts can be removed and replaced and cover reused. These days it seems that any cover with replaceable inserts (including simply tri-fold prefold or pat folding a flat) is generally considered a AI2.

For AIO I have used BG elementals, BG Newborn AIO...
For AI2 I have used Grovia, bummis covers with prefolds, and gDiapers

I like my AI2 insert to snap into place. Though I've seen newer covers that have upper and lower elastic to hold the insert/prefold in place that might work good as well. I like gDiapers when baby is younger because you can replace the insert and the pouch when pooped on and still reuse the outer cover.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 02-21-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
cathplyr
Registered Users
seller

AIOs get old looking really fast b/c the outside gets washed everytime. so it gets pilly, gets relaxed elastic and is not as economical as an AI2 where you only wash the cover after you use it 3 or 4 times. I no longer use AIOs. I have 3 AI2 systems I have used:
1)flip covers w staydry and also with organic inserts. the flip inserts were so hard to get clean and they were bulky so I sold the inserts but kept the covers.
2)PUL covers w/padfolded flat diapers. This system isnt as trim as I like but I use it for long car rides and overnight with a doubler. This is the most economical system out there.
3) best bottoms with hemp inserts. This is my favorite diaper. good luck.
cathplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

What PPs said.

Softbums have an Echo AI2, and an Omni that has the option of being a pocket diaper.

I like AI2s because there's volume to wash, because you just use inserts in covers. You can also use different inserts. I'm a HUGE Grovia fan. Flips were huge on my girls, and Best Bottoms weren't very stretchy so I had trouble getting a good fit. Softbums were ok. In my Grovia AI2 shells I use their stay dry inserts, but you can also use prefolds, flats, other inserts, really anything you want.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote