Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #21
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Early walker poll

I have the opposite. Both late walkers (17 months) and I have one that super uncoordinated but he is very tall/skinny all arms and legs (think gumby) and one that is on the shorter stockier side and very athletic/coordinated.

But who knows. The older will eventually grow into his height and could end up being the more athletic of the two.

I don't think it really matters

Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #22
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
I have 'late' walkers. Dd1 at 18mos, dd2 at 18.5mos. Dd1 was a teeny tiny thing, not even on the growth charts. Dd2 was massive, born over the growth charts and stayed there until 3yo. Dd1 is a perfectionist, never attempting anything until she's confident she will succeed. Dd2, i feel, was worried of falling b/c of her height lol. They both just stood up one day and walked like pros. No toddler waddle, no falls, just perfect.

Now at 8 dd1 is a klutz-just like her mama! Dd2 (5)is very coordinated, catches on to gross motor activities very quickly, but doesnt have the desire to play group sports. If it involves more then sissy, mom, dad, and friends she is not! interested.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).

Last edited by my2sweets; 02-22-2013 at 10:54 AM.
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #23
CCRMSS
Registered Users

My Mood:

both of mine were early walkers (9-10 months) i guess. By a year they were "masters" at walking, though DS STILL falls a lot, lol.

both kids are very ACTIVE, if that is what you mean. We do not have either enrolled in any sports, but I could see both being good at them once they start, as they are both pretty corrdinated, and seem to pick up those skills fast.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #24
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD1 took her first steps at 9 months. She's almost 3 (1 week away) and she's pretty athletic yes. However DH and I have always been athletic as well. Now we have a 14 month old who just started walking so we'll see about her.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #25
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmyann View Post
Not really. My son walked confidently at 10 months and was running shortly thereafter. Personally, I think walking early has more to do with the childs weight and the abilitly to carry their own weight. My guy was a lightweight at 10 months old.
Yup. I mean, obviously my son is also incredibly intelligent, not to mention the world's most athletic 13 month old (we have a baby gymnastics pit happening in our living room most nights)... but he is also not even close to being on the weight chart for his age.
First steps at 7.5 months, and I have a video of him walking between hubby and I (about 7 steps from one to the other) that was made 5 days after he turned 8 months. It was lots of fun, but he also weighed only 13-14 pounds at the time. So it's not like he had a lot to carry.

Regarding personality, I do think that has something to do with things too. If I had to pick a word for my kid it would be "undaunted." I mean, if he's hungry or wants mama, yeah he gets upset. But if he wants to do something then he will try with all his might and seemingly never get discouraged. And if he can get a chair or table to budge just an inch then he will spend the next 20 minutes trying to move it across the room. He also has no concept of the word No, he just laughs if I say it, so that's fun.

Last edited by Palooka; 02-24-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #26
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
I don't think weight plays much of a part in early walking either. 6 of my 7 kids have been super fat babies and they all walked early. 8-10 months. Didn't slow them down at all.

Sunny was walking at 9 months and was 26 pounds.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #27
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UVASahm
I wasn't sure if this belonged in parenting or here so I decided here. Feel free to move if needed. I have an early walker. Walked at around 10 months and is a very confident walker at 12 months.

My question is, if you had an early walker/climber, a physically advanced kid, are they athletic? I really want my little guy to be athletic. I was a d1 athlete, but my husband is soooooo not athletic. I'm just curious if my son will take after me or my husband.
My oldest is only 7 so it could change I guess but here is my experience. I have one early ish walker and 2 late walkers. My oldest walked at 10 months and confidently as 12 months and she is far from athletic. She can barely climb a fence and well let's just say she isn't going to be a track star anytime soon. DS started walking right at 18 months and YDD started walking at 18 months and now at almost 20 months she still does not walk confidently and she falls down a lot. However YDD and DS are both amazing climbers.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #28
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My oldest walked just after his first birthday, so not early, not late. He is not athletic at all but he has some motor problems stemming from SPD and growth hormone deficiency. He is quite good at Taekwondo but he isn't a stellar athlete and probably never will be. He is very musical though.

My youngest was climbing at probably 7 months and walking at 8months. He was full out running by 9 months. We put skates on him at 3 and you can't stop him now. I don't know that I would necessarily call him athletic as we are not a particularly athletic family (we don't do football, soccer, baseball or any of that) but he is a phenomenal skater and he gets better by the day. It is like skates were what was missing from his feet all of his life. He has always had very defined muscles and a strong core plus impeccable balance. He can pick up new skills just by watching other people doing them. So he is very comfortable on his feet and in his skates and well on his way to being a roller derby player which I guess is a type of athlete. His goal is to get Men's Roller Derby to the Olympics. He is very determined at it, it is unfortunate he won't be allowed to compete with his team for another 11 years (have to be 18 for insurance reasons). They all love him though and he is very lucky to have some of the greatest guys in the MRDA training him.

For those who mentioned weight, Tharen was my heavy baby. He was 8lbs 9ozs at birth and well over 25lbs at 8months. I would have to look through my records to be sure as he may have been closer to 30lbs, I know he slimmed down after he started walking. He was just a tank of a baby. Kearnan was barely 17lbs at 1 year and FTT at 2 because he hadn't made 22lbs. I think most of it is determination and balance. Kearnan has to be sure he will be good at something before he does it. If there is even a chance he could mess up or "look stupid" he won't even try. He spent a lot of time pulling up and cruising before walking because he wanted to know he had the skill down before trying it for real. Tharen just powered through it, he didn't care if he fell he was just going to get right back up and try it again, and again and again. HE was like that with skating too. He fell over and over but he just kept getting up. There is no stopping him when he decides he wants something he is going to get it. He was only on his second day in skates when he decided he could jump in them and he has not looked back. Almost 4 years later and Kearnan still skates like a little old man.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #29
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
I don't think weight plays much of a part in early walking either. 6 of my 7 kids have been super fat babies and they all walked early. 8-10 months. Didn't slow them down at all.

Sunny was walking at 9 months and was 26 pounds.
agreed.

Magnolia was walking unassisted at 11months and weighed 25lbs. She never cruised, she just started walking holding our fingers and then held up herself. She was walking quite adeptly on large rocks at 12 months and running by 13 easily.

she's only 28/29months now, so no knowing if she's going to be athletic.. but she's definitely a gross-motor child. She's also a very cautious gross motor child.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #30
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah I don't think weight is an issue, both my babes were quite chunky