Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #21
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thrifty kids shoes?

I would go up two sizes for winter from now....so exactly what you said...11 now, 13 next winter. Now for snow boots it's not as important if they are big IMO as you can wear thick socks and boots are more clunky walking as opposed to a lighter summer shoe that has to fit well.

Of course your DD could go either way with no growth or huge growth. Most likely she would be a 12 or 13 though IMO.....probably depends how long she has been a 11? I think in general my kids grow two sizes a year? I should keep track of it. For example....I have some size 8 soft star boots that should def fit my LO next winter...he is a 6 going on 7 probably by summer.

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #22
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh....I suppose I do keep track a bit as I have kept a lot of their shoes, currently destashing due to move, but in general the kids have gone from 5(new walkers, age 1), to 7(summer sandal/18m), to 9, to 11....

not sure why, but that seems to be the pattern....I have one pair of 8's but barely worn ecco's, think they were too big so stuck with the 7's. Summer sandals are the hardest as if you are off they get the least wear...so might not fit a 7 until august etc....fall/spring shoes you get more chance to wear in a few seasons.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #23
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

She was in 10s for a long time (I want to say 6-9 months) but the other 11s that she has are already tight on her so I think she's ready for 12s. She's never actually skipped a size but it seems like every other time her foot grows she goes through a size in only two or three months. So, 5 then 6 but only for 1 month, then 7 for a couple of months then we were in 8 for a while, 9 was only a short time and 10 for a while. I went ahead and got the 13 Keens, didn't want to miss the deal and because I think she's having a growth spurt she was complaining of not being able to get a size 5 shirt over her head today that was just fine a couple days ago plus she's been eating a lot more than usual.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #24
Ducko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I find mine are in a size for about 6 months so that's how I judge, my buying ahead. It may not work out exactly but I've never not used any I've bought.

Wife to Eric. SAHM to Gray (6/08) and Seth (4/10)
Ducko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:09 AM   #25
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ross dress for less or burlington coat factory.... Check the clearance sections.

(I bought DS's shoes on Amazon with giftcards I earned from swagbucks... so I got his free in January!)

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #26
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernHollow View Post
When we've needed cheaper shoes I usually look at Target. They frequently have knock offs of nicer brands that have held up okay and fit nicely..
So I went to Target today, not really optimistic about finding anything and they had a huge shoe clearance. I signed up for their Red Card (debit not credit) too. I picked up both play shoes and dress shoes for super cheap. It's funny though because there were only one pair each left in the size 12 and they were exactly the styles I was looking for.

Now I don't feel quite so badly over spending the money on the Bogs (rain - the Target ones crack way too quickly for us) and Keens (snow) for her that took a ginormous chunk out of the budget. I will say though, those high end shoes better last and be hand me down worthy. Despite getting both for about half their retail value, I never thought I'd pay so much for children's shoes. I guess I got spoiled by hand me downs and consignment sales.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:46 AM   #27
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Kids feet do not skip sizes, parents miss sizes.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #28
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Target has Converse which my kids love. They don't wear as well but it seems that they're always on sale. Also, Journey's is having shoe sales right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
I agree to a point. DS1 said his shoes were tight one Monday. I bought him new shoes and two weeks later those were too tight. It was his foot, I measured. If for those two weeks, I had made him wear his rain boots (because we didn't really go anywhere anyway) then he would have 'skipped' sizes. My kids also wear sandals and my DD wears crocs, which seem to fit a larger range. So I wouldn't have noticed a size skip.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #29
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Sometimes different brands of shoes size differently.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #30
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlmrs View Post
So I went to Target today, not really optimistic about finding anything and they had a huge shoe clearance. I signed up for their Red Card (debit not credit) too. I picked up both play shoes and dress shoes for super cheap. It's funny though because there were only one pair each left in the size 12 and they were exactly the styles I was looking for.

Now I don't feel quite so badly over spending the money on the Bogs (rain - the Target ones crack way too quickly for us) and Keens (snow) for her that took a ginormous chunk out of the budget. I will say though, those high end shoes better last and be hand me down worthy. Despite getting both for about half their retail value, I never thought I'd pay so much for children's shoes. I guess I got spoiled by hand me downs and consignment sales.

Love when that happens! Sounds like it was meant to be

Quote:
Yes probably.....but growth spurts seem to happen to everyone. My DS2 is really strange how his feet grow. I swear his feet only grow in October and February. I used to bring him in to get his shoes measured for back to school and was shocked one year when his feet hadn't grown since previous time. I give up now on back to school buying and buy when they need instead. I do buy bigger....like if the store says a 12.5 then I'll get a 1 if I expect it to do him for awhile, like for winter or summer. But same with clothing....many kid can go from a age 4 pants to age 6 without doing a 5....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Laura~ View Post
Target has Converse which my kids love. They don't wear as well but it seems that they're always on sale. Also, Journey's is having shoe sales right now.

I agree to a point. DS1 said his shoes were tight one Monday. I bought him new shoes and two weeks later those were too tight. It was his foot, I measured. If for those two weeks, I had made him wear his rain boots (because we didn't really go anywhere anyway) then he would have 'skipped' sizes. My kids also wear sandals and my DD wears crocs, which seem to fit a larger range. So I wouldn't have noticed a size skip.
Shoes are SO different. I had a big problem with crocs too, just fit way too big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
Sometimes different brands of shoes size differently.
^^^^ Pumas are smaller/more accurate, crocs are huge, keens are normal to big I'd say? I usually go by the kids cues, they tell me if it's tight etc. I have a problem with this myself.....I could go up or down a size depending on the brand, very annoying....