Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2013, 04:22 AM   #41
MarryChristopher
Registered Users

Re: Homeschool check in Feb 14th-28th

I was telling my girls I watched and read the series when I was growing up.

Advertisement

MarryChristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #42
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

For those of you feeling bad that your houses aren't clean, you would probably feel better if you came over to visit at my house. I hate cleaning, so it gets put to the back burner a lot.

Add me to the order-curriculum group!! We don't even need ours for a LONG time because we're only on like day 80 of MFW 1st. But they said the prices were going up, and we were going to buy it with our tax refund anyway, so might as well go ahead, right? Unfortunatly since I live in MO (just about an hour from the MFW place) I had to pay taxes so that was an extra $33. You win some, you lose some.

As far as school, it's been going well this week. For math we've been working on adding and subtracting with money. Keegan is doing a little better reading this week, although yesterday's Bible reader was four pages long so we had to take a couple breaks and I still wanted to pull my hair out. I did have him read an early reader today, it was a step into reading book called Bug Stew. He did fairly well with that, but it seems like when he starts having trouble he does loads better if we take a break and then come back to it. Sometimes that upsets him, but he's done well with it this week at least. I also had Rachel read a step into reading book (Piglet Feels Small) and it was just about too easy for her so I feel like we've made good progress.

Right now they're outside trying to shoot birds and eating up some of yesterday's sleet. I wish it was snow instead of sleet so I could take them sledding. Hope everyone else is having a good day too!
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #43
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got a HUGE blessing yesterday, at least IMO LOL. my friend, a single HSing mom, was out a vehicle, so DH and I decided to lease her our little sad truck. It gets the job done, but it's 25 yrs old and smells like old man and oil she works her tail off, but can't really pay us for the lease. so we agreed to take it out in trade. my trade yesterday....she cleaned my house (can you hear angels singing...cause I can!!!). I can not even tell you how nice it is to not have to vacuum or mop or clean toilets today <3

as for HSing....today we are taking off. went to a free movie w/the boys and some friends. had a good time there. DH & older boys are about to head out so it will be just DS3 and me for the weekend. so i'm looking forward to a quiet weekend

as for curriculum.....I'm afraid to start looking. I know what works for us, but I'm always sucked in with the lure of other things arrrgghhh!!!
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #44
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I thought I had my curriculum plan all done and then I started reading several reviews of LLATL and decided not to do it. I think I'm still going to use their booklists, and do some book studies, but I need a writing program for DDs and spelling for all 3. I really like the splashes from the river spelling that we're using now, but it's a 6th grade level course only and I've got both DDs doing it, so we'll need something for next year. Anyone use Spectrum? It's cheap, but I am wondering if it's any good at all.

DD2 also asked if she could do Latin and French next year. I originally planned to do Prima Latina this year, but was worried that with hsing being new, I would bite off more than I could chew, so I didn't buy it. As a 5th grader, will DD2 be too old for it now? Should I go ahead and get Latina Christiana? Suggestions would be great. Thanks.

AFU: DS is out of prek today. DH took him to the dr. and he has tonsilitis for the 2nd time in 5 weeks. Yay! He seems fine, so he's outside playing in the snow with DD2. DD1 is still in bed--she's exhausted (or so she told me when I tried to get her up). All we have on tap today is a few pages of grammar, spelling test and the next chapter in religion, so that should be easy. Should being the operative word-we'll see.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #45
Britches~in~Stitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sorry, I don't know a whole lot of the acronyms, what is LLATL?

As for us, another basic day. We're finally getting some weather here, but it's only rain. I need to run out and pick up some pre-folds, and some school supplies that we're run through already.

I'm also printing up the rest of the LOTW curriculum for DD2. I'm planning to start back at A after her birthday next month, since she has shown a lot of progress with her writing. Hopefully, this will keep DH and I from going mad from all the laminating and cutting...right .

Last edited by Britches~in~Stitches; 02-22-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Britches~in~Stitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #46
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Learning Language Arts Through Literature. It's an allinclusive language arts program grades 1-8 (I think). I liked the idea that everything was taught through actual books-like find the adjectives in this excerpt of "x" book. But the general complaint was that it was really weak in spelling and didn't offer much in the way of writing.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #47
FormallyMichele
Registered Users
Formerly c****f
seller

My Mood:
Still studying ocean life. We read a book on octopuses today and a package came in the mail filled with packing peanuts so we strung them with needle and thread and made impromptu octopus eggs
FormallyMichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #48
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Kristin, we use Progeny Press for literature, but there isn't a lot of grammar in it or writing. We use Rod and Staff for grammar (twice a week starting in 7th grade) and we haven't really done any writing. I just ordered the student stuff for Institute for Excellence in Writing after asking around and hearing you can teach it without the actual teachers part, so long as you watch the student videos. In regards to the Latin, when I get back on the actual computer, I will try and remember to link you to some info I got about programs, as I recently asked about that on a couple sites. If you want,pm me a reminder.

AFU, we went to Friday lunch and did a fairly light day of schoolwork. YDD's birthday is tomorrow, but we let her open her gifts early. She got a big Lego set, so her and DH are putting it together.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #49
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse View Post
Learning Language Arts Through Literature. It's an allinclusive language arts program grades 1-8 (I think). I liked the idea that everything was taught through actual books-like find the adjectives in this excerpt of "x" book. But the general complaint was that it was really weak in spelling and didn't offer much in the way of writing.
oooh....i'm intrigued...DS1 loves to read, but hates all the other stuff. i think if i could incorporate them all together he would go for it. as for spelling...oi....i'm a colossal failure in that dept. we've tried sequential spelling, and I do like it, but honestly, i don't know if our homeschool world is regimented enough for it. some friends are looking into all about spelling and spelling workout. i used a reason for spelling part of this year, and I'm not over the moon about it. i've gone back to it recently, but only for the word list, not for anything else.
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #50
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Tallanvor-I would love those Latin links. I'll try to remind you sometime next week. We'll see if I remember.

Here is the link for LLATL if anyone is interested.

I looked at Sequential Spelling and I'm on the fence. I used A Reason for Spelling when I taught 1st grade and thought it was horrible. So much so that I refused to order the books for the 2nd year I was there.

I really wish that I had access to check out some of these curriculums. I know that I could leaf through them and say yay or nay right off, but lookiing at a sample page online, I just can't get a good feel.

Jen, where is that curric lending library in Springfield? We are spending a couple days in Bolivar in late March-maybe I can talk DH into going into Springfield and checking out some curriculum. Is that vacation fun or what?