Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #11
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: In need of good books for 8 year old girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Redwall
Where the Red Fern Grows
Nancy Drew
Narnia
Dark is Rising series
Hank the Cowdog
Left Behind Kids (based on the Left Behind books, but featuring kids)
Elsie Dinsmore
Esperanza Rising (and other books by the same author)
Misty of Chincoteague and others in that series

I could probably come up with a few dozen more if you need, but those were the ones my oldest liked most at that age. You should also check out the Newberry Award books and ask the librarian.

There aren't a lot of long books at that age. Mostly you have to look for more challenging content, not longer length.
Yes! Omg. Love it. Sometimes when I'm running, I get into the rhythm of that rhyme, "when the dark comes rising, six shall draw it back".

OP, what about poetry as well? 8 is when I started to get really into poems beginning with stuff like "The Highwayman", "The Smuggler's Song" and "Tarantella/Do you remember an inn, Miranda?"

Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #12
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam's mum
I absolutely love Rumer Godden's novels for children (her grown up fiction too).

Of hers, I love:
The Dragon of Og (my favourite)
Listen to the Nightingale
The Diddakoi

Noel Streatfield, Ballet Shoes (and others)

Frances Hodgson Burnett:
A Little Princess
The Secret Garden

And my absolute, all-time favourite book that my mother took away from me because she worried I was becoming obsessed:

Elizabeth Goudge, The Little White Horse.

And for a fantastic contemporary children's author, Hilary McKay. I particularly like the Casson Family series, which starts with Saffy's Angel.
Did you watch the movie they did off the Little White Horse? The Secret of Moonacre. I enjoyed what they did with it.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #13
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

How mature is she?
My boys love Harry Potter (especially the first books which aren't as scary)
and Percy Jackson
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:26 PM   #14
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The Boxcar Children
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:06 AM   #15
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Shel Silverstein could be a good choice, too, though it is poetry.

ODD enjoyed books by Jean Craighead George.

Dear America books are okay. There is another historic fiction series about various princesses. I don't recall the name of the series, but if you ask at the library, they should know. There's a book about Cleopatra, and Anastasia, and Eleanor of Aquitaine and others.

We found some of the Cornela Funke books to be a bit dark, though Igraine the Brave was greatly enjoyed.

Peter and the Starcatchers might be a good option. I don't recall how many books are in that series -- 3 or 4, I think.

PPs mentioned quite a few books I had forgotten. Definitely a good list among the posts.

Oh, and yes, Redwall is a bit dense. The audiobook of it is 10 hours or so, so it's definitely lengthy. My oldest, though, fell in love with the series at 8 and owns just about all the books.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:38 AM   #16
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dd1 is a bit sensitive and just can't handle too dark or too sad of a book. She reads extremely advanced for her age. Some of the books listed here, she emotionally couldn't read yet.

Some of her favorites:
Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew (she doesn't like how dated the original namcy drew and trixie belden are but loves the clue crew books)
The Frog Prince series by ED Baker (actually she's liked all the books she's read by ED Baker)
Dd loves fairy tale type books so there are several retelling of stories like snow white, rapunzelm etc - I think they are called Twice upon a time or something like that.
The Narnia series
The American girl doll books (fast reads but she enjoys them)
She currently loves comic books (baby blues is her favorite)and books written a bit more like a comic - so she enjoys Bad Kitty (super fast read for her), Nate the Great, Diary of a Wimpy kid
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:21 AM   #17
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom1mg
How mature is she?
My boys love Harry Potter (especially the first books which aren't as scary)
and Percy Jackson
She is very sensitive and I would say immature for her age. There was even a point in one of the Ramona books she stopped reading and I had to encourage her to read past it
She enjoys fantasy and funny books.

She is a very fast reader though. She gets through books so fast and she wants more.
I'm not complaining but our local library has had bed bugs. ( yuck) I would love to be able to buy her a book and have it last her a couple days instead of a couple hours. Lol

Nothing better than seeing your child giggling away at something they are reading.
mommy24babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #18
NYCVeg
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy24babes View Post
She is very sensitive and I would say immature for her age. There was even a point in one of the Ramona books she stopped reading and I had to encourage her to read past it
She enjoys fantasy and funny books.

She is a very fast reader though. She gets through books so fast and she wants more.
I'm not complaining but our local library has had bed bugs. ( yuck) I would love to be able to buy her a book and have it last her a couple days instead of a couple hours. Lol

Nothing better than seeing your child giggling away at something they are reading.
Keep her away from Where the Red Fern Grows, then! It's one of my favorite books from childhood, but I was a wreck for DAYS after reading it.

I also wanted to add Encylopedia Brown books and The Westing Game. Rebecca Stead's books, Liar & Spy and When You Reach Me are also great.
NYCVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #19
cheezpoofs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Books I loved around that age:

the Bunnicula series by James Howe
Little House on the Prairie series
Goosebumps
Old Yeller

The Ramona books are terrific!
Veann - Libertarian, atheist, bookworm, heavy metal Mommy to all boys: Lucius (2-13-09), Orion (4-22-11), and Castiel (3-4-13), wife to Matthew - Anti-circumcision, babywearing, somewhat AP, natural birthing/ homebirthing, don't care about being "green", doing things my own way...
cheezpoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #20
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I liked little house. box car children. American girl. my daughter likes subsumes therainbow fairies our books by daisy Meadows I think. Disney fairy books. jessicanashville here kids like Junie b Jones.