Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
BabySnickerdoodles
Registered Users
Formerly: Generalsgirl08
seller
seller

My Mood:
Some questions for our sweet Mamas of multiples :D

Hi ladies! I know I"m totally crashing here, but I have a very interesting circumstance...
Because I am a VBAC mama, and our state is very UNfriendly towards homebirths, I am planning to birth this time at home, with a lay midwife (3rd time doing this...)..but no ultrasound clinic will take me without an official care provider.

SO...can't have an ultrasound unless we travel hours to the nearest homebirth friendly doc and pay $300 or so to have the US.

I have had a weird intuition that I'm having twins this pregnancy, and then have had odd symptoms *for me* this time around since that initial feeling. Early ms than normal, earlier breast tenderness, weird combinations of cravings, both of my ovaries aching (which usually only the one that ovulated aches after I get pregnant, due to ovarian cysts) and most lately, rapid uterine growth.
I should be 12 weeks right now, but my uterus is about 3" below my belly button, so measuring about 16 weeks. I have never measured big, even with my 4th child which I did "show" sooner, but my uterus wasn't measuring ahead.

May I ask, as twin mothers, if any of you had these symptoms? I of course will not base anything certain on an unofficial appointment/ultrasound, but I just want to know if I should possibly go ahead and foot the bill for the ultrasound if its likely that I may be pregnant with twins?

1) What did you measure (fundal height) at 12 weeks?
2) Did you experience earlier symptoms, like ms kick in sooner, breast tenderness sooner, and getting larger than normal?
3) did you have a "mothers intuition" about them being twins, and when did that feeling start?
4) If you had a midwife, was she able to pick up the heartbeats on the doppler?

Thank you ladies for ANY advice! I definitely realize I could just have one little munckin in here, and that is fine with me, but I have always wanted twins and even being teased with the possibility before, always "knew" it was just one, and have been right about 3 out of 4 of my babies' gender. This time I just feel is different in so many ways...I feel like its twins. <YesI'mprobablyafreak>

Advertisement

Ready to Shop for Woolies? Check out Baby Snickerdoodles on Hyena Cart
BabySnickerdoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Some questions for our sweet Mamas of multiples :D

I had many of those symptoms with my twin pregnancies, measuring larger then normal is the most compelling symptom you gave just now. We had the same issue in our town with u/s, if you were having a homebirth then you had to drive 2 hours away and pay out of pocket health care sucks in this nation!

Other symptoms I had that were different, with twins I was VERY hungry in the first trimester and not sick. With this singleton I was the opposite, I could barely make myself eat and was throwing up 3 times a day until 16 weeks. Also, I tested at 10dpo with both pregnancies, with twins my test line was darker then the control line and showed up as soon as the pee hit the stick. With singleton it was a faint pink line, a squinter. Hope that helps and best of luck, we love our twins!
Old 02-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
BabySnickerdoodles
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you so much, that does help! I am pretty much starving constantly this whole first trimester...in fact, most of my sickness feels like its because my body instantly consumes whatever and everythign I put on my stomach. I would vomit like 15 minutes after a hearty meal, and it would be ONLY dry-heaving and bile...the hunger pangs always bring on the vomit...rarely do I vomit from eating food...its always because of horrible hunger, lol! I feel like I am eating SOO Much, but not gaining much weight at all! Whatever this baby is, its a food monster...
Old 02-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm crashing, but I had similar symptoms along with a feeling it was twins and there's just one in there There are no elective 3D womb places close? Is there a reason you wouldn't want an official care provider, even if you only see them once and then once for the U/S?
Old 02-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
BabySnickerdoodles
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mostly lack of insurance right now, so we'd have to pay OOP for an appointment, and then the ultrasound. I think there are some cheapo places that do it for just a gender-check, but, they require I have an official care practitioner, so back to square one.

Another concern, is if it was twins, there is a possibility they would be required to report us to CPS if we chose to leave their care to have a home birth.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabySnickerdoodles View Post
Another concern, is if it was twins, there is a possibility they would be required to report us to CPS if we chose to leave their care to have a home birth.
Yep. You can find midwifes who are totally fine with homebirthing twins but many OBs will be a pain in the *ss about it. Technically CPS cannot get involved until the babies are born, your body, your birth, your choice. It's just annoying so it's better to stay out of an OB office if you are planning a homebirth if you can help it.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #7
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have no clue how I ended up in this thread must have somehow clicked into it on accident, but since I read it, I had a thought. We have places around here who do ultrasounds for fun, many are in the mall. I called around with one of my pregnancies and none of them asked for a care provider. Here's a link to one that's local to me: http://www.fetalstudio.com/ Try googling "3D ultrasound" and your state name and see what you find. Some are actual medical ultrasound places, but there is one local to me that's a lady in her home with a 3D machine and she just does pics and dvds for families for fun.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
BabySnickerdoodles
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72 View Post
I have no clue how I ended up in this thread must have somehow clicked into it on accident, but since I read it, I had a thought. We have places around here who do ultrasounds for fun, many are in the mall. I called around with one of my pregnancies and none of them asked for a care provider. Here's a link to one that's local to me: http://www.fetalstudio.com/ Try googling "3D ultrasound" and your state name and see what you find. Some are actual medical ultrasound places, but there is one local to me that's a lady in her home with a 3D machine and she just does pics and dvds for families for fun.
Oh really? That is super cool! I think it might be something with our state law but I'm not sure.

I am curious if maybe those pregnancy recource places that are pro life might be able to do a scan, if since they are privately run they don't require younto have a cp yet or something? I can try to call them to at least ask...
Old 02-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #9
BabySnickerdoodles
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpossible View Post

Yep. You can find midwifes who are totally fine with homebirthing twins but many OBs will be a pain in the *ss about it. Technically CPS cannot get involved until the babies are born, your body, your birth, your choice. It's just annoying so it's better to stay out of an OB office if you are planning a homebirth if you can help it.
Yes, *sigh* why why why is it so crazy these days? I wish there was a better balance. Crazies scare me too, but homebirth just isn't as crazy or dangerous as they think it is. Praise God for them when things DO get complicated or dangerous, but until then, I wanna be home if I can :-)
Old 02-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabySnickerdoodles View Post
Yes, *sigh* why why why is it so crazy these days? I wish there was a better balance. Crazies scare me too, but homebirth just isn't as crazy or dangerous as they think it is. Praise God for them when things DO get complicated or dangerous, but until then, I wanna be home if I can :-)
Agreed. I just do not feel that birth is an illness that needs a trip to the hospital. Now if I had a complicated pregnancy and needed to be monitored then thank God they are there BUT I am on the younger side, healthy and have no issues so really a hospital would be a dangerous place for me to go if I want a natural birth!

Good idea about the pro life places, we have one here called Compassion Pregnancy Center. They don't have a u/s machine but maybe you will have one in your area!