Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #21
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by babykp08
I'm glad this board exists so I can get support from other sane people
Great quote! If I only listened to my family (parents, siblings, grandma), I'd currently have a house full of junk.

Advertisement

Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:42 AM   #22
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: 27 baby dolls.....geez

Quote:
Originally Posted by babykp08 View Post
I have no desire to spend my life cleaning square footage full of crap we never use and never seeing my family because they are all off doing their own thing in our vast house.
Exactly my thoughts. Whenever a 3/4 member family says "our house has 4 bedrooms" I resist my immediate urge to ask "what for?"

It is a sad testimony that with all the current face-in-comp/face-in-ipad/whatever, and rooms to themselves, parents and kids dont see each other much, let alone ask even mundane "how are you today?"

One of the main reasons for my insistence that the old & only comp be placed in the hutch in the dining room and not out of the way in some room. I dont see my boys needing privacy to browse for another 10y atleast. And the tablet isnt used at home (dh used to, but I've made him stop that)
Old 02-22-2013, 01:57 AM   #23
wyatt09
B/T with caution

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys2teach View Post
I feel much better about my house after attending a birthday party this weekend. The little girl had 27 baby dolls and atleast 40 more small size dolls intended for her doll house. She also received 2 more at the party. There were so many I just had to count out of curiousity I saw atleast 15 bags/pocket books and I won't even get into the rest of the house! They have 3 kids so you can imagine what the house looked like. Just a little something to make everyone feel a little better about their own houses this morning! LOL

some people arent super organized or have a minimal amount of things..i have three kids and I try everyday to declutter but knowones perfect!as long as the are loved..nothing else matters
Started off with 1 and we call her "sum",next was baby number two...I was buying "blue",baby number three I was "seeing more pink" and by this Christmas 2013.. a NEW gift for me! We are a Breast-feeding,baby wearing,cloth diapering,mama clothing,circ'ing,vaxing kinda family!
wyatt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #24
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeAMom View Post
I wasn't being snarky; I honestly wondered how the space would be used. So is it 5 bedrooms or 6? I'd love to have a guest room/office, so I can understand wanting some more room. I've lived in places smaller than 800 sq ft so that must be a huge room!
Sorry, I'm sick and hormonal, I know you weren't being snarky. It is 5 bedrooms and a computer/sewing room, a great room (living/dining/kitchen), a basement rec room, a laundry room, and 3 baths. We also lived in less than 800 sq feet apartment before, and have friends with 3 kids in 600 sq feet (not by choice) so I know what you mean. The house we had before this was 1283 sq feet and just right for our family of 4 at the time.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #25
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeAMom View Post
What do you even do w/ 3500 or 5000 sq ft of space? We have 1600 and it's feeling like a good size for us now that so much extra stuff is out of here.
4 bedroom (girls' room, playroom, guest room, bonus TV room), master bedroom, 3.5 bath, kitchen, dining room (empty except one piano), breakfast room, office (fishtanks and bookshelves), living room (TV, couch), laundry room. Plus 3 car garage.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #26
happyhats
Registered Users
seller

Slight hijack-those of you with larger homes, was this before you became minimalistic? What drew you to your home? Again, Im not judging Im just curious because I wouldn't be drawn to a house that large. Of course it would be out of my price range so thats another reason I never consider it, lol.
happyhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #27
drabekgirl
Registered Users

as a family of 4 we have 4 bedrooms 1 (1 isn't used), another is the craft room so rarely used, and the other 2 we actually do use. we have only 1 bathroom (the other is plumbed in we've just never finished it in the 10 years we've been here), and we are working on finishing the basement family room which we probably won't use for much. the house is about 1800 sq feet. I do have a larger area for my canning supplies and jar storage and I have multiple closets. But as my boys grow out of the clothing those bins are not being refilled. B/c I'm figuring by the time they finish the size 14 clothing they will have developed their own tastes (they are in 10/12s right now). We keep eliminating toys but really how much do an 8&9 year old play with they are between teen stuff and older than preschool things. they have 6 small bins of toys, but they do have an entire book shelf of books (they love reading).

But I get you, I hate seeing the clutter it feels so overwhelming. we have been given so much b/c people think we need it, it just goes right back out the door. Take Christmas, from one side of the family we got 4 candles, I gave them to the other side of the family in a white elephant exchange.