Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #11
a_marines_wife03
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 5 1/2 year old lefty struggling with handwriting

I am a lefty so is my three year old make sure he is turning his paper to the right at an angle so he doesent start hooking his hand and its also just more comfortable and helps you see what you are writing easier. leftys also form some letters differently than a righty does. Like We cross a's t's ets from right to left instead of left to right.

Advertisement

follow my blog: http://mommaof3-littlebits.blogspot.com/
If you have a product youd like me to blog about send me a message.
a_marines_wife03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #12
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Thanks for all the ideas!! We did the salt yesterday and it was a hit! He did well and didn't get discouraged like when he is actually writing.

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #13
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the salt tray and other suggestions other than actually writing on paper. I also think tracing is great! And, I totally agree with working on one letter at a time. It doesn't necessarily have to be all week, but just working with one letter rather than a whole sentence or word will allow him to focus on that and not get overwhelmed.

My oldest was still really struggling at 5.5. My 2 next are 12/07 twins. They are better than he was, but still they wouldn't want to copy a whole sentence either. He is still young. Just keep working on it.

If pencil grip is a problem, I found this different style pencil grip. It is great for lefty's. My second son is a lefty. It works great for right handed kids too. I got it for my oldest because he was really struggling with grip. It really works great!

http://www.handithings.com/handiwriter.htm
Old 02-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #14
weesej
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have a 5 yo lefty born 10/3...I think the only letter he can write is a "T" We also are likely dealing with a significant dyselxia issue (family history and early signs lead me to think this) We have spent time working on pre-writing skills this year. I am not worried....we have worked through significant issues with big brother...it will take time and patience!

"It's not healthy to have spirochetes eating away at your brain" What do you know about Lyme?
weesej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #15
flobee76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a 5.5yo lefty and he has really benefited from HWOT. We use play-doh, salt boxes, and the letter block that HWOT makes. I am not even going NEAR copywork yet. I think if your DC is getting frustrated, you should scale back and encourage letter formation in other ways besides pencil and paper. Of course, if your DC is pulling paper out on his own and writing, I guess you can't really stop him.

My DS still gets letters and numbers backwards. He can read them, but sometimes writing is a problem. Everything he does seems to be "backwards" but I guess that comes with the territory of being a lefty. Gotta love 'em!
Mom to DD (5/04), DS (8/07), DD (2/09)DD (5/13), Blessing #4 in the arms of Jesus 11/2011

Jesus-follower, Traditional Foodie, Homeschooler, frugal-er
flobee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:18 PM   #16
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I feel so much better, thanks again!!

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #17
bonusround
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries416 View Post
My 4.5 yr old dd is a lefty and handwriting without tears has been great for her. She has a hard time with pencil grip, but I bought her sone special ones called the claw and they help a lot.
We use handwriting without tears and explode the code... Both work well for lefties. I have four year old twins, one left and one right.
bonusround is offline   Reply With Quote