Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #11
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Starting, totally overwhelmed.

Most people I know just let kiddos learn through play and reading good quality books when they are that young.

I have a two year old and we are working on colors and counting but not from any program. When she is playing with something I just mention the color to her. We count steps,birds,books etc. DD is VERY interested in what she calls "Maf" but that is because her 6 year old brother has stated traditional *school* with actual textbooks this year and he loves math (I actually do not do schooling using textbooks until my children are older.If I could wait legally until they were 7 or so, I would.)

At 2, if you really want some direction in teaching, I'd look at My Fathers World, Heart of Dakota and also Before Five in a Row (which I did actually use some with 3 year old kiddos)

Advertisement

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #12
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Thanks everyone. Maybe I didn't word it correctly, but I in no way expect her to sit for 2 hours and do anything formal. I'm looking more for activities/play that also teaches. Now we do books, coloring, painting, chalk, bubbles, free play, play dough and she "helps" me. But she is so so bored with it all. She is extremely active and if I'm not constantly engaging her she's destroying and getting into stuff. I guess I also am looking for some basic structure to our day as opposed to just fly by the seat of our pants. We have a park close that we walk to all the time as well.
This is what a day roughly looks like:
Breakfast with sesame street. Yes I am that bad mom too. It distracts her so that she actually eats and I can take care of DD2.
Then free play while I do chores.
Play dough/coloring/books
Lunch
Some craft or park time/outside time
Busy bags/dress up/music/flash cards
More free play while I do dinner
Dinner
Bath
Books
Bed

Plus snacks and randomness all the time. What I really want to encorporate is basic learning. Colors, shapes, numbers, letters... am I being unrealistic?? I can tell she's looking for something more
Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:46 PM   #13
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Honestly I think at 2 it is also time to start encouraging her to learn to play alone and entertain herself. You don't want her to feel that she needs you to constantly engage her. I'm guessing you have some good open ended play toys, set her up with something and let her know that you are going to be just in the other room (assuming her bedroom/playroom is safe for her to be alone in) or on the other side of the room cleaning the kitchen or relaxing for a moment. Start out with just 5 minutes and work up to a nice 20minutes or more of her playing by herself and really exploring her own imagination. I think all children need to be able to entertain themselves.

If you like the idea of teaching letters I recommend spending a week teaching each letter (maybe longer) and just cycle through them. Each day you can do something having to do with the weeks letter. You could draw the letter big and let her color it or paint over it. You can find everything in the house that starts with the letter, make the letter out of play dough, cover the table in shaving cream and draw the letter with your fingers. Go outside and look for things that start with the letter or better yet hunt for the letter on a walk (buildings, houses, car license plates ect). You can do similar things to teach number skills. Introduce a number and then do all you can with it. Draw it, paint it, make it out of clay, count everything of that number, find it places ect. Introducing colors is fun too and very natural. But please don't underestimate the importance of free play and even being bored. Perhaps now is a good time to introduce a new type of play like blocks or tea party.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #14
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110
Honestly I think at 2 it is also time to start encouraging her to learn to play alone and entertain herself. You don't want her to feel that she needs you to constantly engage her. I'm guessing you have some good open ended play toys, set her up with something and let her know that you are going to be just in the other room (assuming her bedroom/playroom is safe for her to be alone in) or on the other side of the room cleaning the kitchen or relaxing for a moment. Start out with just 5 minutes and work up to a nice 20minutes or more of her playing by herself and really exploring her own imagination. I think all children need to be able to entertain themselves.

If you like the idea of teaching letters I recommend spending a week teaching each letter (maybe longer) and just cycle through them. Each day you can do something having to do with the weeks letter. You could draw the letter big and let her color it or paint over it. You can find everything in the house that starts with the letter, make the letter out of play dough, cover the table in shaving cream and draw the letter with your fingers. Go outside and look for things that start with the letter or better yet hunt for the letter on a walk (buildings, houses, car license plates ect). You can do similar things to teach number skills. Introduce a number and then do all you can with it. Draw it, paint it, make it out of clay, count everything of that number, find it places ect. Introducing colors is fun too and very natural. But please don't underestimate the importance of free play and even being bored. Perhaps now is a good time to introduce a new type of play like blocks or tea party.
Yes, thank you. She will play by herself for up to 30 minutes while I do chores or cook etc. She comes to check in frequently but will always return. The one problem with it is that she almost always does something naughty too. Like, climbing into the windowsills or pulling everything down & out from dressers etc etc. Which I'm guessing is because she's bored!
Old 02-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #15
7mom7
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara'sMommy View Post
Yes, thank you. She will play by herself for up to 30 minutes while I do chores or cook etc. She comes to check in frequently but will always return. The one problem with it is that she almost always does something naughty too. Like, climbing into the windowsills or pulling everything down & out from dressers etc etc. Which I'm guessing is because she's bored!
Looks like another teaching opportunity to me! In my house we'd do a timeout and make the child help clean up. Your DD reminds me of my oldest son and he needs LOTS of time outside. Even from birth he's preferred being outside. I'm all for kids climbing and exploring but I'm pretty strict about not destroying things. We don't have a ton of money and I explain to the kids that we need to take good care of our stuff because it is expensive to replace.

I send the kids out even when it's cold. Even if you don't have much space or money for a playset you can get a sandbox pretty cheap and put it on a small patio.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:41 AM   #16
Kristi26
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara'sMommy View Post
Thanks everyone. Maybe I didn't word it correctly, but I in no way expect her to sit for 2 hours and do anything formal. I'm looking more for activities/play that also teaches. Now we do books, coloring, painting, chalk, bubbles, free play, play dough and she "helps" me. But she is so so bored with it all. She is extremely active and if I'm not constantly engaging her she's destroying and getting into stuff. I guess I also am looking for some basic structure to our day as opposed to just fly by the seat of our pants. We have a park close that we walk to all the time as well.
This is what a day roughly looks like:
Breakfast with sesame street. Yes I am that bad mom too. It distracts her so that she actually eats and I can take care of DD2.
Then free play while I do chores.
Play dough/coloring/books
Lunch
Some craft or park time/outside time
Busy bags/dress up/music/flash cards
More free play while I do dinner
Dinner
Bath
Books
Bed

Plus snacks and randomness all the time. What I really want to encorporate is basic learning. Colors, shapes, numbers, letters... am I being unrealistic?? I can tell she's looking for something more
Oh, I'm so glad someone else does this too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mom7 View Post
Looks like another teaching opportunity to me! In my house we'd do a timeout and make the child help clean up. Your DD reminds me of my oldest son and he needs LOTS of time outside. Even from birth he's preferred being outside. I'm all for kids climbing and exploring but I'm pretty strict about not destroying things. We don't have a ton of money and I explain to the kids that we need to take good care of our stuff because it is expensive to replace.

I send the kids out even when it's cold. Even if you don't have much space or money for a playset you can get a sandbox pretty cheap and put it on a small patio.
Yep, absolutely the same in our house to the bolded! If my kids are being naughty, they get a warning and a time out (warnings are reserved for times I know they don't know they are being bad). 2 years old isn't too young to start consequences for her actions.
-Kristi,wife(5/02), , HSing, CDing,SAHM to Andrew(1/00), Lukas(2/03),Lily (1/06),and Ian (5/09) !Sweet Gwen, stillborn, 12/26/11, angel baby 7/08 Free History plans and more here: http://themommywriter.blogspot.com/
Kristi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #17
PurpleFluff
Registered Users

I'm doing a program called ABC Jesus Loves Me, which is online and free. I'm doing the 2 year old program with my three year old soon to be adopted daughter, because she came to me knowing nothing. No colors, numbers, ABCs etc. We are picking and choosing what parts of the curriculum we do so it isn't too overwhelming. It seems very laid back and play oriented, which is what we want and what works best at this age. We will start it the week after next, so I can let you know better what it's like then
PurpleFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #18
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Yes, we do time outs. A lot of them!!! And I always tell her afterwards why she was put in time out, what she could have done instead ("you pulled all the toys down. You should play nicely instead of destroying things") etc etc. I'll be honest, it really doesn't work.. We do outdoor activities every day for sure. I got the toddler busy book today and it looks like it has some great activities in it. I'm looking forward to trying some of them out
Old 02-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #19
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleFluff
I'm doing a program called ABC Jesus Loves Me, which is online and free. I'm doing the 2 year old program with my three year old soon to be adopted daughter, because she came to me knowing nothing. No colors, numbers, ABCs etc. We are picking and choosing what parts of the curriculum we do so it isn't too overwhelming. It seems very laid back and play oriented, which is what we want and what works best at this age. We will start it the week after next, so I can let you know better what it's like then
Thank you! Please do
Old 02-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #20
bonusround
Registered Users
seller

I like the idea of doing the letter a week thing, especially if you could incorporate other things into it that help reinforce it (every day that week have a snack that starts with that letter or something, draw the letter, find toys that start with that letter). Do you have a children's museum by you? That might be a nice way to get her out and running around, while also learning and being exposed to other children of different ages. :-)
bonusround is offline   Reply With Quote