Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
emrosediapers
Registered Users

Thinking about homeschooling

My DD is only 16 months old, but I've been thinking about homeschooling her. I'll admit that in the past I said I would never ever home school. And that was probably b/c of the home schoolers I was exposed to...non vaccinating and religious based. That is what I pretty much thought home schooling was all about.

But as more school shootings happen and crime in schools etc, DH and I have been considering it. I don't want to keep DD in a bubble, but I do want to keep her safe and her mind challenged. I hated school b/c I was terribly bored...I remembered back to grammar school that I didn't like school. I didn't enjoy learning until high school when I was placed in advanced classes...and then of course college since I studied Biology and Animal Behavior.

I do not have any friends around who have children, so I've been looking at enrolling her in a "play type" pre-school twice a week. She really enjoys playing with other children and I'd like for her to have some social interaction with children.

Does a evolution based home schooling program exist? How do you expose your children to other children? Are there pre-school home school programs?

I appreciate any advice

Advertisement

emrosediapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thinking about homeschooling

Mother's Day Out or a homeschool co-op that includes younger kids might be a good option or socialization. There is every type of home school program you can imagine - including evolution. We go to a homeschool co-op 1 day a week where the kids are around other kids, we go to church where there are kids programs...that works for us right now for socialization - we are going to do a 2-day tutorial program next year so the kids will be in a more 'school like' environment, but on a much smaller scale more. There are lots of pre-school homeschool programs Bob Jones University and Abeka are 2 of the big ones...Calavert too - most of these are pre-k. CLE has workbooks starting at around 3 years of age you can get and the some readers to read to your DD. There are also free online programs for pre-schoolers like Easy Peasy - search for her homeschool blog...and I think ABC Jesus or something like that...but they are out there...GL!
Old 03-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think a 1 or 2 day MMO program or MOPS would work well for you. My kids are older, but they get plenty of socialization. DS (5) is enrolled in a spring soccer program, but mostly he tags along with whatever his sisters are doing. He's got friends at 4H, Girl Scouts, Basketball, etc. Most of them are either his age or a year on either side of him. We also attend library events (story time or movie night) and things at our local nature center.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Forgot to add pre-k sites:

1+1+1+1=1 This has a Christian focus, but I think it would be easy to take what you want from it and leave the rest.
Letter of the Week by Confessions of a Homeschooler
Here's the link to Easy Peasy Homeschool
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
nehunt
Registered Users
seller

We started Brightly Beaming Toddler and Letter of the Week not lomg ago with my 1.25 year old and 3.25 year old. We are not following a rigorous schedule, but so far, it is working for us
nehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
emrosediapers
Registered Users

Thanks for your insight :-)
emrosediapers is offline   Reply With Quote