Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
7mom7
Registered Users

Sensory or Personality?

I think DS2 has some sensory issues and as much as I hate labels I don't know how else to put it. I had him evaluated about a year ago and there weren't any red flags, his speech and development were right on track. I feel like part of it is just his personality but he's extremely picky. Also, we weren't aware of his vision issues for a couple of years and I think that could have played a big role in him being overly sensitive in other areas. DH and I are very consistent with our parenting style but we found ourselves giving in on things that we wouldn't have allowed from our older child. I'm okay with simple stuff like cutting tags out of his clothes but there are some things that we need to put our foot down on. Any tips for helping him be less sensitive? It would take forever to explain all the sensory things I notice with him but a few are food, colors, tags, public places (sometimes, but not always), clumsy, doesn't handle embarrassment well AT ALL, inability to "let things go," doesn't like to try new things. Overall he plays well with other kids and seems "normal" but I feel like giving in over time may lead to OCD tendencies. What's the best way to handle it?

Advertisement

Last edited by 7mom7; 02-20-2013 at 11:22 PM.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I might take him for an Occupational Therapy evaluation. Even if he doesn't need services they can give you great tips.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
7mom7
Registered Users

Re: Sensory or Personality?

Thanks, I'm hoping I can get some tips from moms on here and try that first. I really feel like some of the stuff is minor and I need to put my foot down...if he throws a fit so be it. For example, he's super picky about having certain bowl/cup/plate/silverware at home but when we are at a restaurant, family, or friend's house he could care less. I'm considering throwing away the other options at home just so I can quit having battles about it.

Our older DS has some physical special needs and we raised him to be "tough" because we knew he could possibly face ridicule down the road. We didn't really do that for our second, we've definitely babied him. I'm wondering if we've given in too much and caused him to be this way?
Old 02-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

If it's a sensory issue then it wasn't anything you've done, and probably needs a little different handling than if it's behavior/personality, KWIM? That's the only reason I recommended an eval For tags, if they really bother him sensory wise they just have to come off. As for the plates etc, I personally don't usually pick those battles if I can help it cuz there are plenty of others! Hope someone has some good tips for you mama!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
rottenapple
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS has a very strong preference to yellow (plates, cups, shirts, etc.) but like you said when we're out somewhere it makes no difference to him. My DD refuses to wear jeans or any pants that have a snap or button, and her socks must cover her ankles and the toe seems must be perfectly straight across her toes.
That being said, DH had all the same tendencies when he was growing up and he's a well adjusted adult now (for the most part LOL!)
Some kids are super sensitive about a lot of things, but if you feel like your gut's telling you something it's definitely worth it to get him rechecked, like PP mentioned.
Good luck mama!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
Mommy2JandS
Registered Users
seller
seller

My son has SPD. We spent the first few years of his life wondering what was going on and if we were doing something wrong. We knew he wasn't just misbehaving, but it wasn't until I took him to an OT that the pieces started to fit. He also has a connective tissue disorder which causes quite a bit of physical issues too. Like you, we were unaware of his extremely poor vision for several years as well. Every child with SPD is different and I know it's impossible to list everything, but if there's a few main things you'd like to address it might be easier to give advice on some specific needs rather than tackling everything through posts.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #7
7mom7
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenapple View Post
My DS has a very strong preference to yellow (plates, cups, shirts, etc.) but like you said when we're out somewhere it makes no difference to him. My DD refuses to wear jeans or any pants that have a snap or button, and her socks must cover her ankles and the toe seems must be perfectly straight across her toes.
That being said, DH had all the same tendencies when he was growing up and he's a well adjusted adult now (for the most part LOL!)
Some kids are super sensitive about a lot of things, but if you feel like your gut's telling you something it's definitely worth it to get him rechecked, like PP mentioned.
Good luck mama!
This sounds exactly like my kiddo. I'm also particular and I can understand why he has some of his preferences. My gut tells me that it's something we need to be a bit more firm on. In some cases us giving in on his preferences isn't the fair thing for DS1 and that needs to stop. In other areas I'm okay with him being picky.

I did go through some mild OCD stuff for years and I didn't really know what to call it...I used to count things all the time, without really realizing what I was doing. I also had some issues with being overly critical of food preparation. It was never anything that had control over me, I just sort of did it without any thought that it was weird. My mom tells me all the time that he's just like me at that age and I think there's a lot of truth to that. Maybe it's a bit more OCD than sensory...interesting. Thanks for getting my wheels turning!