Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #21
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: My DD has a rash no matter what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencrunchymama View Post
Well, a pediatrician said it is "contact rash". Not sure how to deal with it, but I'm thisclose to burning all my diapers and just doing sposies. I can't tell you how upset I am
My son had "diaper dermatitis"

As much as you might want to only use "natural fibers" etc, your DD's skin might need that stay-dry. I found that suedecloth was better than fleece for stay-dry. Not only did my son need the stay-dry, though, he had to have a breathable fleece or wool cover. PUL always gave him a rash in that front area, and wetness from natural fibers would also make him red.

Give her only stay-dry against her skin, and only the wool, for a few days. Don't mess around with anything else, keep using whatever detergent you love. I can't tell you how frustrating it was for me to try detergent after detergent...I think that if the rest of her skin looks okay it's probably not the detergent.

Don't burn your stash yet

ETA -- > give her a break from all the creams, too. The rash needs to dry out. If you don't have her in a stay-dry liner/breathable cover, try for naked time! I would only apply an ointment IF her skin clears, to protect it, or for the long stretch at night.

Advertisement

Last edited by boysniris; 02-21-2013 at 11:03 AM.
boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #22
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris View Post
My son had "diaper dermatitis"

As much as you might want to only use "natural fibers" etc, your DD's skin might need that stay-dry. I found that suedecloth was better than fleece for stay-dry. Not only did my son need the stay-dry, though, he had to have a breathable fleece or wool cover. PUL always gave him a rash in that front area, and wetness from natural fibers would also make him red.

Give her only stay-dry against her skin, and only the wool, for a few days. Don't mess around with anything else, keep using whatever detergent you love. I can't tell you how frustrating it was for me to try detergent after detergent...I think that if the rest of her skin looks okay it's probably not the detergent.

Don't burn your stash yet

ETA -- > give her a break from all the creams, too. The rash needs to dry out. If you don't have her in a stay-dry liner/breathable cover, try for naked time! I would only apply an ointment IF her skin clears, to protect it, or for the long stretch at night.
Thank you. I am going to go buy some suede cloth today!
Old 02-21-2013, 11:45 AM   #23
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Well, a pediatrician said it is "contact rash". Not sure how to deal with it, but I'm thisclose to burning all my diapers and just doing sposies. I can't tell you how upset I am
I have so been there. I did actually sell almost all our stash and used disposables most of the time for a good 6 months because of it. If you have been using only natural fibers, I agree that trying stay dry might be an option. Just remember at the end of the day, they are only diapers and are just a tiny bit of the overall parenting gig. No judgement here with whatever your choice is
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #24
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We're in the same boat right now

If OP (or I or other PPs) switch to, say, Country Save, what about the junk that's already on the dipes from the previous Tide use? Will it wash out?

Does boiling remove all that stuff or no?

Last edited by zeotwoski; 02-21-2013 at 06:06 PM.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #25
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So how's she doing?

Old 02-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #26
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh jen, so sad to see this
Somehow i missed it. Not sure whats going on with your dd but i use tide f&g powder and i have found if i dont use enough detergent my daughter will get a lil rashy. If i use bleach, she will also get rashy..esp if i dont do like 5 rinses..

I finally found the perfect amount of detergent for us..but if i JUST rinse then the water wont run clear....so now i do a short rinse then a long hot wash with the detergent then a short wash on cold with nothing. The water will run clear then and its not so much washing/rinsing.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #27
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
So how's she doing?
Well I went and bought some disposables yesterday It's been over 24 hours in them and no improvement. I'm still hanging on to hope that this will get her clear so we can get back in cloth! If I don't see any improvement when the sposies are gone, I'll just put her back in her cloth. Thanks for asking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhillcranes View Post
Oh jen, so sad to see this
Somehow i missed it. Not sure whats going on with your dd but i use tide f&g powder and i have found if i dont use enough detergent my daughter will get a lil rashy. If i use bleach, she will also get rashy..esp if i dont do like 5 rinses..

I finally found the perfect amount of detergent for us..but if i JUST rinse then the water wont run clear....so now i do a short rinse then a long hot wash with the detergent then a short wash on cold with nothing. The water will run clear then and its not so much washing/rinsing.
Thanks Tia! I bought some BumGenius detergent to try and I'm hoping that will help. Hopefully we'll get this figured out. It's frustrating because I feel like I've tried everything.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #28
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Well I went and bought some disposables yesterday It's been over 24 hours in them and no improvement. I'm still hanging on to hope that this will get her clear so we can get back in cloth! If I don't see any improvement when the sposies are gone, I'll just put her back in her cloth. Thanks for asking!

Thanks Tia! I bought some BumGenius detergent to try and I'm hoping that will help. Hopefully we'll get this figured out. It's frustrating because I feel like I've tried everything.
Well if it's not getting WORSE then that's a silver lining, right? Good luck

Old 02-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #29
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Were you using scented tide? The bg detergent might help. Hard to tell why shes having an issue esp if shes having issues in sposies too, :/
Old 02-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #30
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Well if it's not getting WORSE then that's a silver lining, right? Good luck
YES! That is true! I felt like such a failure buying sposies but I didn't know what else to try. I may go buy some eczema cream or CJ's unscented to try. Who knows what it is But I will say I feel better that the rash didn't magically go away in sposies bc now I know it's probably not a problem with my diapers.

But I'm thinking after the sposies I'll just keep her in fitteds and wool because it's the most breathable.