Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #21
boysniris's Avatar
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 13,925
My Mood:
Re: My DD has a rash no matter what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencrunchymama View Post
Well, a pediatrician said it is "contact rash". Not sure how to deal with it, but I'm thisclose to burning all my diapers and just doing sposies. I can't tell you how upset I am
My son had "diaper dermatitis"

As much as you might want to only use "natural fibers" etc, your DD's skin might need that stay-dry. I found that suedecloth was better than fleece for stay-dry. Not only did my son need the stay-dry, though, he had to have a breathable fleece or wool cover. PUL always gave him a rash in that front area, and wetness from natural fibers would also make him red.

Give her only stay-dry against her skin, and only the wool, for a few days. Don't mess around with anything else, keep using whatever detergent you love. I can't tell you how frustrating it was for me to try detergent after detergent...I think that if the rest of her skin looks okay it's probably not the detergent.

Don't burn your stash yet

ETA -- > give her a break from all the creams, too. The rash needs to dry out. If you don't have her in a stay-dry liner/breathable cover, try for naked time! I would only apply an ointment IF her skin clears, to protect it, or for the long stretch at night.

Advertisement

__________________
Hi I'm Melanie! I make EmotiBums FLEECE


Last edited by boysniris; 02-21-2013 at 11:03 AM.
boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #22
greencrunchymama's Avatar
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,751
Re: My DD has a rash no matter what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris View Post
My son had "diaper dermatitis"

As much as you might want to only use "natural fibers" etc, your DD's skin might need that stay-dry. I found that suedecloth was better than fleece for stay-dry. Not only did my son need the stay-dry, though, he had to have a breathable fleece or wool cover. PUL always gave him a rash in that front area, and wetness from natural fibers would also make him red.

Give her only stay-dry against her skin, and only the wool, for a few days. Don't mess around with anything else, keep using whatever detergent you love. I can't tell you how frustrating it was for me to try detergent after detergent...I think that if the rest of her skin looks okay it's probably not the detergent.

Don't burn your stash yet

ETA -- > give her a break from all the creams, too. The rash needs to dry out. If you don't have her in a stay-dry liner/breathable cover, try for naked time! I would only apply an ointment IF her skin clears, to protect it, or for the long stretch at night.
Thank you. I am going to go buy some suede cloth today!
__________________
Jen, married to DH mama to DD 01.22.12
greencrunchymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:45 AM   #23
FernHollow
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,397
My Mood:
Re: My DD has a rash no matter what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencrunchymama View Post
Well, a pediatrician said it is "contact rash". Not sure how to deal with it, but I'm thisclose to burning all my diapers and just doing sposies. I can't tell you how upset I am
I have so been there. I did actually sell almost all our stash and used disposables most of the time for a good 6 months because of it. If you have been using only natural fibers, I agree that trying stay dry might be an option. Just remember at the end of the day, they are only diapers and are just a tiny bit of the overall parenting gig. No judgement here with whatever your choice is
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #24
zeotwoski's Avatar
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 757
My Mood:
Re: My DD has a rash no matter what I do.

We're in the same boat right now

If OP (or I or other PPs) switch to, say, Country Save, what about the junk that's already on the dipes from the previous Tide use? Will it wash out?

Does boiling remove all that stuff or no?
__________________
Cathy
SAHM to B, 6 and S, 4 , H, 2 and baby M. R, 2 and baby A Missing babies N and L.

Last edited by zeotwoski; 02-21-2013 at 06:06 PM.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #25
boysniris's Avatar
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 13,925
My Mood:
Re: My DD has a rash no matter what I do.

So how's she doing?
__________________
Hi I'm Melanie! I make EmotiBums FLEECE

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #26
sandhillcranes's Avatar
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,804
My Mood:
Re: My DD has a rash no matter what I do.

Oh jen, so sad to see this
Somehow i missed it. Not sure whats going on with your dd but i use tide f&g powder and i have found if i dont use enough detergent my daughter will get a lil rashy. If i use bleach, she will also get rashy..esp if i dont do like 5 rinses..

I finally found the perfect amount of detergent for us..but if i JUST rinse then the water wont run clear....so now i do a short rinse then a long hot wash with the detergent then a short wash on cold with nothing. The water will run clear then and its not so much washing/rinsing.
__________________
I'm Tia... and I love my family so much they should pay rent in my mind
If I haven't left you feedback, please pm me .
sandhillcranes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #27
greencrunchymama's Avatar
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,751
Re: My DD has a rash no matter what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris View Post
So how's she doing?
Well I went and bought some disposables yesterday It's been over 24 hours in them and no improvement. I'm still hanging on to hope that this will get her clear so we can get back in cloth! If I don't see any improvement when the sposies are gone, I'll just put her back in her cloth. Thanks for asking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhillcranes View Post
Oh jen, so sad to see this
Somehow i missed it. Not sure whats going on with your dd but i use tide f&g powder and i have found if i dont use enough detergent my daughter will get a lil rashy. If i use bleach, she will also get rashy..esp if i dont do like 5 rinses..

I finally found the perfect amount of detergent for us..but if i JUST rinse then the water wont run clear....so now i do a short rinse then a long hot wash with the detergent then a short wash on cold with nothing. The water will run clear then and its not so much washing/rinsing.
Thanks Tia! I bought some BumGenius detergent to try and I'm hoping that will help. Hopefully we'll get this figured out. It's frustrating because I feel like I've tried everything.
__________________
Jen, married to DH mama to DD 01.22.12
greencrunchymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #28
boysniris's Avatar
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 13,925
My Mood:
Re: My DD has a rash no matter what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencrunchymama View Post
Well I went and bought some disposables yesterday It's been over 24 hours in them and no improvement. I'm still hanging on to hope that this will get her clear so we can get back in cloth! If I don't see any improvement when the sposies are gone, I'll just put her back in her cloth. Thanks for asking!



Thanks Tia! I bought some BumGenius detergent to try and I'm hoping that will help. Hopefully we'll get this figured out. It's frustrating because I feel like I've tried everything.
Well if it's not getting WORSE then that's a silver lining, right? Good luck
__________________
Hi I'm Melanie! I make EmotiBums FLEECE

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #29
sandhillcranes's Avatar
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,804
My Mood:
Re: My DD has a rash no matter what I do.

Were you using scented tide? The bg detergent might help. Hard to tell why shes having an issue esp if shes having issues in sposies too, :/
__________________
I'm Tia... and I love my family so much they should pay rent in my mind
If I haven't left you feedback, please pm me .
sandhillcranes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #30
greencrunchymama's Avatar
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,751
Re: My DD has a rash no matter what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris View Post
Well if it's not getting WORSE then that's a silver lining, right? Good luck
YES! That is true! I felt like such a failure buying sposies but I didn't know what else to try. I may go buy some eczema cream or CJ's unscented to try. Who knows what it is But I will say I feel better that the rash didn't magically go away in sposies bc now I know it's probably not a problem with my diapers.

But I'm thinking after the sposies I'll just keep her in fitteds and wool because it's the most breathable.
__________________
Jen, married to DH mama to DD 01.22.12
greencrunchymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.