Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Dancy Baby
Registered Users
seller

Where do we start?

My husband and I just bought our first home and we move in May (yay!). We both agree we need to declutter and go more minimalist, but I have no idea where to start!

Advertisement

Dancy Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Where do we start?

Clothes was the easiest for me to start with. Get rid of anything you haven't worn in a year.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
Dancy Baby
Registered Users
seller

Hmmm, I was thinking that, but I have triple the wardrobe now, from maternity clothes, post baby and nursing clothes, and regular wardrobe. We are planning to try for #2 when our ds is a year. Also, we are both in the military and have whole other wardrobes and tons of kit from that!
Old 02-24-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
deezee02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Kitchen....

Just pick a spot. I moves fast from there
Old 02-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

Get rid of stuff as you pack. You have an opportunity to start with a clean slate in the new home.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
babynme8
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimb96 View Post
Get rid of stuff as you pack. You have an opportunity to start with a clean slate in the new home.
I agree with this. If you find stuff you are on the fence about toss it all into one box and don't unpack it. After a set number of days if you haven't had to fetch something out pitch or donate the whole box.
babynme8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
Dancy Baby
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by babynme8

I agree with this. If you find stuff you are on the fence about toss it all into one box and don't unpack it. After a set number of days if you haven't had to fetch something out pitch or donate the whole box.
That's a great idea. We should start with the garage that is full of boxes of stuff we haven't even unpacked from our last move! I can't wait to get rid of all the crap I fell like its weighing me down.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
lalaith
Registered Users
seller

I started with clothes. Anything that doesn't fit (not maternity clothes, like things from high school), has holes/rips/tears, or that you absolutely hate and never wear.

It shouldn't be too difficult to part with those things, and it'll get the ball rolling.
and the joy my munchkin brings!
lalaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #9
Dancy Baby
Registered Users
seller

Yup, I've decided clothes and shoes. I'm not so bad except for the shoes, DH really does have clothes from High school!

The thing is, how do you decide what to keep or get rid of if stuff still fits? Should have a max of a certain item for example? I can think if an example, race t-shirts from running that I probably have 40 of, some of them have sentimental value.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #10
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancy Baby View Post
Yup, I've decided clothes and shoes. I'm not so bad except for the shoes, DH really does have clothes from High school!

The thing is, how do you decide what to keep or get rid of if stuff still fits? Should have a max of a certain item for example? I can think if an example, race t-shirts from running that I probably have 40 of, some of them have sentimental value.
Do you wear them? Do you love them? Do they get used? I would probably keep 1-2 as long as it gets WORN. Take pictures? That helped my sister let go of some things.

To me 40 of ANYTHING would be too much, I don't know that I have 40 pieces of clothing in total.