Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Mini Minimalist Challenge: 2/25-3/1

The Mini Minimalist Challenge runs each week from Monday-Friday. Weekends can be used as catch up days, and would be a great time to drop off donations. Before & After pictures (or any other progress photos) are encouraged!

I will post the entire 5 days all at once, in case you would like to plan ahead or work out of order. Keep in mind that not all challenges will be relevant for every person or every home. If you find a challenge that does not need to be done, or is in an area of your home that you do not have, either consider it a day off or focus on an area that you really do need to work on.

If you're feeling extra motivated, this is also a good time to wipe down surfaces or vacuum areas that don't usually get much attention. You can consolidate items, eliminate packaging, or reorganize while working on the challenge in that area... but it's okay if you don't!

The goal will be to purge 5 things from each area. You may find more and you may find less, but you want to aim for at least 5 whenever possible. If you stick to just the minimum, you will purge 25 things from your home every week! Comment with your progress and to encourage others, and share with us your successes and struggles.

If you are new, feel free to jump right in where you are! Don't feel like you need to backtrack or catch up to us.

Week #8

Monday 2.25.13: Purge 5 items from your own craft or hobby areas. Be honest about any unfinished projects you may have; perhaps you can decide to commit to finishing something, or toss something that likely won't ever be completed.

Tuesday 2.26.13: Purge 5 items from your candles, Scentsy items, air fresheners, and things of that nature. Keep what you love. Toss scents you don't care for. Pare it down to things that make you happy.

Wednesday 2.27.13: Purge 5 knick-knacks or other decorative items (picture frames, artwork you don't care for, vases, etc.) from around your house.

Thursday 2.28.13: Purge 5 things from your toys and books (again!). I know I'm not alone in needing to revisit this. Again. *cough*

Friday 3.1.13: Your choice! Purge 5 items from a problem area. Focus on an area that you've been procrastinating on, that you pretend doesn't exist, that has gotten out of control, or that feels like it is too big for you to tackle because it overwhelms you. We can do it.

BONUS TASK: Let's take everything off of our refrigerators, wipe down the outside (don't forget the top!) and be pickier about what goes back on the fridge.

Advertisement

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
Dancy Baby
Registered Users
seller

Oh am so on board with this! I can't wait to start!
Dancy Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Re: Mini Minimalist Challenge: 2/25-3/1

Joining in!
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
ArronDalesMama
Registered Users

Half done with the bonus. Got everything cleaned out of the fridge. Tomorrow will wipe it down. I try every Sunday to clean it out. So much nicer having little stuff in there. Plus our fridge is small so no room for junk.

No Scentsy or candles in the house. So that task is done. will replace with finishing up painting the living room/dining room. And hanging new curtains.
Due with #2 2/14/16
ArronDalesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
junvwekt
Registered Users
seller

Ooh! Totally doing this! I definitely like the lower level of stress that comes with having less stuff.

DH & I are married less than a year & this is our first apartment on our own so we haven't had decades to accumulate "stuff", but there's definitely still some unnecessary junk lying around.

Whenever I go over to my parents or grandparents houses, I'm inspired to rid my own house of clutter.
junvwekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
sweetest
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm in! I already did some work in my sewing room yesterday but I'm sure I can find 5 more things today (and I'm going to try to organize a bit too!)
sweetest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

For "hobby" stuff, purged an old pair of skis, ski boots, a ski bag, and two duffel bags. Also got rid of a bagful of clothes and two books, (constantly working on these). Don't really have candles, but I tossed an old candle holder I found.
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #8
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great job you guys! And welcome to the newcomers.

I was/am a Scentsy consultant, but I decided not to pursue it any longer (aside from using it for myself, but to be successful I'd need to put more time and energy than I'm willing to, especially since I was so excited about it when I first started but then it flopped when other people didn't have the parties they had said they wanted to, and there just wasn't much support for it). No big deal, I still love the products but now that I've decided not to continue trying to sell it, it's time to declutter. So I want to go through all of those supplies and see what I want to keep and what can be tossed.

I did find 5 Scentsy bars from my own collection to toss (just stuff that I'm not a fan of). When my son wakes up I am going to get the big tote of my consultant stuff so I can start sorting it.

I'm almost done with my closet project from this weekend (if you didn't read about it in the last thread, I took everything out of our utility/kitchen closet, repainted it, and did an entire reorganization of it). I'm so glad I did it! It looks great. I got rid of lots, and have decluttered even more in there today so far, as I am putting things away. My kitchen is slowly getting back to normal now, too, thank goodness.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
MSmith88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Double post... oops

Last edited by MSmith88; 02-25-2013 at 12:47 PM.
MSmith88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
MSmith88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Week #8

Monday 2.25.13: Purge 5 items from your own craft or hobby areas.

Done. A bag full of scrapbooking stickers and embellishments.

Tuesday 2.26.13: Purge 5 items from your candles, Scentsy items, air fresheners, and things of that nature.

Pitched two candles that are almost gone and two we don't love. That leaves us with three.

Wednesday 2.27.13: Purge 5 knick-knacks or other decorative items (picture frames, artwork you don't care for, vases, etc.) from around your house.

We only have two picture frames in the whole house. NOT on purpose but just because we haven't put them up yet!!

Thursday 2.28.13: Purge 5 things from your toys and books (again!). I know I'm not alone in needing to revisit this. Again.

I reluctantly let five more books go. *SIGH*

Friday 3.1.13: Your choice!

Kitchen is done I went through each of the cabinets and removed the extras. We left four plates (big and small), four bowls, four big cups, four little cups, only necessary pryex and tupperwear. I did keep wayyyy to many baking sheets but I just am not ready to get rid of those yet. I probably got rid of about 100 items

I also cleaned out our medicine cabinet

BONUS TASK: Let's take everything off of our refrigerators, wipe down the outside (don't forget the top!) and be pickier about what goes back on the fridge

Done. It looks sooo much better~

Last edited by MSmith88; 02-27-2013 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Finished tasks!
MSmith88 is offline   Reply With Quote