View Poll Results: Which was more painful, including birth and recovery
Unmedicated vaginal 7 26.92%
C-section 17 65.38%
They were different but equal 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #11
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Which was more painful overall...

As others are answering for others I will answer for my sister as i have had 2 labors and 3 sections. She said an unmedicated delivery of a 10lb 13oz baby was equally as painful as a c-section. However it was a much, much shorter recovery time. So she said it was totally worht it. She also said delivery of a 7lb baby, also unmedicated, was just as painful when the doctor roughly yanks baby out without allowing the body to adjust.

Her preference is an unmedicated, midwife attended, home birth if this is an option. Her youngest it just wasn't due to prior knowledge of medical issues with baby. Hence the rough doctor delivery.

A friend also had both. She said the natural delivery was less painful. She wished she hadn't let the doctor convince her it would be best to deliver her youngest by c-section.

Advertisement

Last edited by qsefthuko; 02-23-2013 at 10:43 PM.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #12
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I accidentally voted wrong. I thought it was which is better. Sorry I am sick so not registering what I am reading correctly. I voted unmedicated vaginal birth when I meant to vote c-section.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #13
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've only had vaginal, but I've made an interesting observation - most people I've talked to that have had both say that vaginal was so much less pain overall, but many of those that I've talked to that have only had c-sections said they have no desire to have a vaginal birth and they prefer scheduled c-section, the risks of vbac aside.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:22 PM   #14
mhschool6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

C-section was sooooo much worse. My 6th baby was born via c-section, and it was horrible!!!!(the first 5 were vaginal) With the c-section I got pp infections that landed me in the hospital for 10 days total!!! And then 6 wks of home heath nurses coming out to change my bandages. It was a nightmare. So for my 7th, I searched high and low for a doc willing to do a v-bac. Thankfully, I found one, and enjoyed another natural, med free, vaginal delivery!!!! My vote is, c-section is more painful!!!!!!
Hannah- married to M for 14 yrs: Mama of 7 amazing children! Ages 13yrs down to 23mos And expecting #8 January 2014!!!
mhschool6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:39 PM   #15
kirst
Registered Users
seller

I've never had a C-section and was really against them prior to having my son, unless medically necessary. I figured the healing time after a C-section would be really painful.

I had a midwife-attended natural, non-medicated vaginal birth. My son was a frank breech and the pain of delivery was as bad as I expected but you are so high off wanting to see your baby that it's really fine.

However, because my son was a surprise breech in a hospital setting, the midwives had to follow protocol and page a doc. This young obgyn came flying in, panicked when she say my son's butt, pushed my midwives aside, and gave me a huge epsiotomy....

edited to add: I didn't vote because I haven't experienced both, but just wanted to say that vaginal births can hurt for months, too.

I sat on ice packs for a week straight pretty much. It was 8 weeks before I could walk more than a block without pain, 8 months before the daily pain and feeling of ripping when I moved went away.

My son is 10 months old and I still have considerable pain that stops me from doing things recreationally...not sure it will ever go away?? Scared to contemplate ever having sex again, frankly.(yes, it's THAT bad.)

He is worth it and I am am glad his head didn't get stuck but if I ever have another baby (not likely) it will be by elective C-section.

Last edited by kirst; 02-24-2013 at 12:29 AM.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:30 AM   #16
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

not have c setion but yes back labor was bad but after having no meds i think rather vaginally over c setion for me as less pain...i riped first time & not that i felt as i was medicated but it took a while to heal from rip as im a slow healer vs njo rip with even with my 3rd. my sil shook from being sewn up from her rips from different kids i hear but i think she would stay with vag less pain. i just dont like thought of big scar on my midsection as i scar easy....
Old 02-25-2013, 07:54 AM   #17
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've had three unmedicated hospital births and the c-section was, by FAR, more painful than the other births combined. And my vaginal births aren't exactly textbook easy-peasy, lol.
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:06 AM   #18
blossomgoat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was lucky enough to do both. The C sec hurt a LOT more in the recovery period. It took me about 3-4 weeks to feel like I could even function (like control my body temperature, regulate my blood sugar, think straight without writing everything down, go without the prescribed pain meds.) I actually asked for another week of the prescribed pain meds bec ibuprofen wasn't keeping me funcitonal enough to feed myself and the baby, much less do the rest of it.

With my natural birth, it was closer to 2 weeks and I was functional again. If I remembered to use my peri bottle and sit on a boppy, I was largely pain-free within a few days. This was my VBAC, too. I could manage my overall pain levels with just ibuprofen/tylenol as long as I stayed on top of it. And I had tearing that required stitches.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #19
sweetpeamami83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have had one c/s and one natural unmediated birth. By far the recovery from the c/s was way worse then the pain from having the baby and the recovery of the natural. I would choose unmediated any day over a c/s. my c/s scar still bothers me years later.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #20
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
I've only had vaginal, but I've made an interesting observation - most people I've talked to that have had both say that vaginal was so much less pain overall, but many of those that I've talked to that have only had c-sections said they have no desire to have a vaginal birth and they prefer scheduled c-section, the risks of vbac aside.
I completely understand this line of thought! My first was a c-section after a couple days of labor, my second was a failed VBAC after being in labor for the best part of 3 days. I don't know whether I'm going to try for a VBA2C with the next one; as much as I want/wanted an unmedicated vaginal birth, I don't love my odds at this point. I'd rather be well-rested for a scheduled c-section than end up having a c-section after 3 days of labor and no sleep whatsoever.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote