Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #11
saturn
Registered Users

Re: Wipes?

Terry works great. I cut up some old and thrift store bath towels and just zigzag stitched around the edges. The terry was plush enough that I didn't back them with anything. Also, another Joann's tip: when flannel is on sale, check the remnant bin. The remnants are 50% off of the sale price, so usually around $1.50 per yard. I can pretty much always find a cute flannel remnant, and since wipes use such small pieces, remnants work just as well as a larger cut.

Advertisement

saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #12
~KittyKat~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well so far this is what I got out of the stuff I already had laying around the house. Not a perfect stitch job on all of them and I totally played around with my machines different stitches but they are all turned and topstitched and who cares if they are perfect they are for wiping up poop right? I am all out of flannel and the jersey knit at this point but I have like 25 wipes made so i think that is a pretty good start. I love that most of them have tie dye too, I had dyed the pieces a long time ago but never used them and decided this would be a great opportunity. I don't really want to do double sided velour that just seems too thick and probably too soft to get out icky messes if need be. I am going to check out the sewing shop in town and see if they have any remnants and also the thrift store as well. Thanks for the tips .

~KittyKat~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #13
lalalion
Registered Users
seller

I personally like terry wipes best. I think a little texture helps clean better. I'd go for some terry.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #14
eflannery
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Kitty, your wipes turned out really cute! Did you mostly use terry cloth or do you have other things mixed in? Also, what size did you make them? I'd love to get some wipes made up.

Another quick question - do you store yours wet or dry? For some reason I keep thinking I would prefer to have a container of wipes all ready to go - but not sure how to do that without them being stinky. KWIM?

Mama to Regan Louise Born July 5, 2007
and Quinn Annmarie : Born March 30th, 2013
Baby #3 expected to arrive June 14th, 2015!
eflannery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #15
~KittyKat~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflannery View Post
Kitty, your wipes turned out really cute! Did you mostly use terry cloth or do you have other things mixed in? Also, what size did you make them? I'd love to get some wipes made up.

Another quick question - do you store yours wet or dry? For some reason I keep thinking I would prefer to have a container of wipes all ready to go - but not sure how to do that without them being stinky. KWIM?
Thanks I am quite excited. I wound up using a lot of flannel, cotton velour, some jersey knit (on one side with the other side one of the others) and some terry. I found some discount whinnie the pooh and cars flannel that I have also used to make up some more as well. I have about 3 dozen now. I made them all right around 8 X 8 though sometimes my seam allowances were a little smaller than I cut for so they aren't all exactly that size.

As far as storage, I think I am going to try to do wet. I am going to use a container from disposable wipes and use a mix with tea tree oil. It's supposed to disinfect. I will probably only keep like 10-12 wipes in there and just refill and rewet as needed. With DD I have always used disposable wipes (don't know why totally) so cloth wipes is a whole new venture for us around here. Good luck with yours. They are honestly really easy.
~KittyKat~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #16
eflannery
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Awesome! I think I'm going to try the same thing. Not sure if I have enough wipes yet, I picked up some flannel wipes and also terry washclothes. I guess I'll just see what works. But it sure would be fun to try and make some!

I'm going to try wet too. I think 10-12 sounds like a good number so I'll give that a try.

Mama to Regan Louise Born July 5, 2007
and Quinn Annmarie : Born March 30th, 2013
Baby #3 expected to arrive June 14th, 2015!
eflannery is offline   Reply With Quote