Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
TooBusyBearcubs
Registered Users
Formerly: K**ten
seller

My Mood:
DIY Prefitteds from PFs?

So, DH and I want to CD on the cheap for any future babes. I have this fantastic sewing machine now, and I've gathered several diaper-making tutorials. We've got all the stuff we need for an older infant/toddler (two previous kiddos), so I'm looking mostly at newborn/small stage.
I really just want some advice on which PFs to use. I'd like good quality, but not too expensive. Do you realistically really need 4x8x4 for a newborn, or is 4x6x4 perfectly sufficient? Is there a brand that lends itself well to the process? Would a wider-fit PF work better/worse?
Any other advice on this?

TIA, mamas!

Advertisement

Last edited by TooBusyBearcubs; 02-24-2013 at 05:54 PM.
TooBusyBearcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
kirst
Registered Users
seller

Re: DYI Prefitteds from PFs?

http://www.diapersewing.com/prefold_to_fitted.htm

I used this tutorial and found it very easy. I used Kawaii Baby prefolds (4 X6x4) and they are not absorbant enough for my heavy wetter, but the little doubler flap can be left open and then stuffed with a washcloth or small microfiber towel.

I would say use the largest prefolds you can find (easy to fold down a prefitted at the top), and the softest ones- Kawaii's are large and very soft (and also cheap)...then leave the flap open as a pocket and add a doubler, even a padfolded receiveing blanket.
I have several different kinds of prefolds and some are just not soft enough to use except inside a pocket.

Last edited by kirst; 02-23-2013 at 12:38 PM.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
TooBusyBearcubs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirst View Post
http://www.diapersewing.com/prefold_to_fitted.htm

I used this tutorial and found it very easy. I used Kawaii Baby prefolds (4 X6x4) and they are not absorbant enough for my heavy wetter, but the little doubler flap can be left open and then stuffed with a washcloth or small microfiber towel.

I would say use the largest prefolds you can find (easy to fold down a prefitted at the top), and the softest ones- Kawaii's are large and very soft (and also cheap)...then leave the flap open as a pocket and add a doubler, even a padfolded receiveing blanket.
I have several different kinds of prefolds and some are just not soft enough to use except inside a pocket.
Thanks!
Which ones are the not-as-soft ones? I was looking at Osocozy (Amazon has them cheaper right now), but heard they do not soften up as well so some of the others. I considered GMD, because I know they are good quality...but expensive compared to some of the others.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
TooBusyBearcubs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: DIY Prefitteds from PFs?

Any other thoughts, mamas?
You think this thread might perhaps be better reposted in Extra Fluffy or Craft Chat?
Old 02-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #5
ladybuglove
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: DIY Prefitteds from PFs?

Swaddle bees is the softest I've felt, I have gmds which I also love and cotton babies these I just bought seem very durable haven't washed enough to tell on the softness yet. I've made a few prefitteds and they were pretty simple good luck!
ladybuglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:46 AM   #6
kirst
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooBusyBearcubs View Post
Thanks!
Which ones are the not-as-soft ones? I was looking at Osocozy (Amazon has them cheaper right now), but heard they do not soften up as well so some of the others. I considered GMD, because I know they are good quality...but expensive compared to some of the others.
Well, I only have three kinds of cotton prefolds- Kawaii, some no-name DSQ hemp preemie prefolds which are twill and very rough (but super absorbant) and can only be used inside pockets, and the old discontinued GMD dark-green edged infant pfs (not bad for absorbancy if you don't have a heavy wetter, but not very soft). I am not the best judge of prefolds as my son is a super soaker with sensitive skin, so wearing a slightly rough pf will give him a rash ( a lil prince, I know, LOL). The Kawaiis are soft (not very absorbant) but he will snuggle them as a blankie, so very comfy.

I have 7 WAHM made bamboo fleece prefolds which are the bomb for softness but too expensive to cut for a project
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:15 AM   #7
Ainmemphis
Registered Users
seller
seller

I used osocozy prefolds to make fitteds and to me the feel just as soft as the gmd workhorse.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
Alikhlas
Registered Users
seller

Id go with imagine bamboo prefolds..they're very soft and very absorbent and if you want to use these prefitteds full time, it would be great to not have to add a doubler every time. Plus they're not too much more expensive than cotton pf.
Alikhlas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #9
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Here is the one I used. http://www.kamsnaps.com/How-to-Turn-...Diaper-42.html
Old 02-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #10
QuartzandPyrite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm making some prefitteds from imagine bamboo prefolds, I have a variety of prefolds and those are by far the softest. I have patterns from BaaBaaBaby and ones that I made by tracing my workhorses. I'm just making them simple like the workhorses, but I think I'm going to dye them fun colors and have contrast stitching!
Have fun, post pics when they're finished!
QuartzandPyrite is offline   Reply With Quote