Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #11
Bella Catalina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 16 month old in body cast

I'm sorry I hope your little guy heals fast.

My son was in a spica cast at 27 months after breaking his femur. We used disposables (cut the tabs off)--much easier to keep the cast dry, with an adult diaper over the top to hold it in place. The cast could potentially snag the fabric, too.

I have a flickr set here and you can see how the diapers work (though tuck it in much better than in my pic): http://www.flickr.com/photos/bella_c...7629350598205/

Comfort wise, I recommend the Cast Cooler to everyone who asks. It attaches to the vacuum and is great for drying out the cast in the event of any accidents (we only had one, after we'd left the adult diaper off and he'd squirmed so much the normal sposie had come out of the cast). It was so much quicker than the hair dryer, I didn't have to hold it, and it didn't get hot or uncomfortable for him (also relieved itching).

Once the pain eased and he was moving around more, within a couple of weeks he'd built the upper body strength to drag his body around. Until that point, we did a lot of movies, a lot of scribbling, play-doh on a cookie sheet, that sort of thing. He lived on two crib mattresses on our living room floor.

Our hospital didn't have any of the special car seats, so we ended up back and forth to appts via ambulance.

Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 11:55 PM   #12
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

I don't have any experience with little ones in casts at all, but I saw you mentioned car seats, so I thought I'd try to help. I know you said they said the occupational therapist would arrange that at discharge, but it'd probably be good to go ahead and contact them. Unless he's big for his age, a Britax Hippo should be able to keep him rear facing.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #13
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

My daughter had a full leg cast. All the way up to her hip at 15 months old. She was walking in it within a week.

She could not use cloth diapers because they were too thick to fit comfortably.

I bought those cheap fuzzy slipper socks from Walgreens. (the adult ones) and cut the toes out, then used that to slip over her cast to keep it from rubbing on everything.

Bathing was NOT fun. It seemed like years of bathing her on the kitchen counter. I washed her hair in the kitchen sink, and then sponge bathed her the rest of the way.

The carseat was even less fun. I have no idea how that will work for you.

Booser seats and high chairs no longer work, because the weight of the cast is too much, and hurts them...so, you have to come up with ways to have them sit with their cast resting on something instead of pulling down.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #14
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The hospital will teach you how to diaper her. You will need sposies. It is a PITA, so you change them as little as possible and use maxi pads to soak up the pee, and change the maxi pads more frequently, then change the overall diaper when kiddo poops.

Cloth will be out of the question. You need thin, trim, dry to the skin.

Ask your hospital to help you get a spica cast carseat to rent. Their durable goods company should have them.

Good luck mama!
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #15
cyanotype
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Following. I've been wondering the same thing recently. DS needs hip surgery soon and then surgery in his femur as well.

Most likely nursing and typing. Please pardon any mistakes.
cyanotype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #16
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

I had a body cast when I was about 3. I broke my femur. As far as I know I didn't do much moving around...my mom explains that my hair was just a disaster from laying on it all day (my dad watched me, he didn't brush my hair) So I assume I didn't move much. There are pics of my on my tummy and side playing with toys on the floor (don't have those pics though)

Here are some pics...maybe it will help give you an idea. Though this was in 1990, so things may have changed. If it helps you feel better...I don't remember it AT ALL! And I was older than your son is now. So at least you can know that he may be uncomfortable and have no fun and it may be a REALLY long 6 weeks, but he won't remember it!

Last edited by solarbabies; 02-25-2013 at 06:06 PM.
solarbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #17
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama*Kim View Post
I just found this that looked helpful
http://www.nationwidechildrens.org/Document/Get/40037
Thank you! That was very informative.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #18
CASMama711
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
The hospital will teach you how to diaper her. You will need sposies. It is a PITA, so you change them as little as possible and use maxi pads to soak up the pee, and change the maxi pads more frequently, then change the overall diaper when kiddo poops.

Cloth will be out of the question. You need thin, trim, dry to the skin.

Ask your hospital to help you get a spica cast carseat to rent. Their durable goods company should have them.

Good luck mama!
I'm probably missing something, never having dealt with this before, but why wouldn't Flip covers with their disposable inserts work like this?
Old 02-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #19
CASMama711
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbabies View Post
I had a body cast when I was about 3. I broke my femur. As far as I know I didn't do much moving around...my mom explains that my hair was just a disaster from laying on it all day (my dad watched me, he didn't brush my hair) So I assume I didn't move much. There are pics of my on my tummy and side playing with toys on the floor (don't have those pics though)

Here are some pics...maybe it will help give you an idea. Though this was in 1990, so things may have changed. If it helps you feel better...I don't remember it AT ALL! And I was older than your son is now. So at least you can know that he may be uncomfortable and have no fun and it may be a REALLY long 6 weeks, but he won't remember it!
Thank you for the pics! Unfortunately, this isn't his first surgery and it won't be his last. He won't remember this one, but he'll be older next time.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #20
CASMama711
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle1002 View Post
As for the nanny, can you spend a day with her before you go back to work to make sure she's comfortable with his care? I hope everything goes smoothly!
We will be doing this at a minimum, but I still have doubts about leaving him with her... she just lacks the maturity I feel is needed for this. I'm not sure we have any other choice, though.