Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #21
~whitehologram~
Registered Users
Formerly: whitehologram
seller

My Mood:
Re: Basically it's Monday

Is it the same in the US too? In Canada too?

Or is it just all the same everywhere?

Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #22
redgirlsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In the US you can choose private or public, but for the most part all schools are the same. There aren't different types of middle/junior high schools or high schools.

"Oh, dear. I really ought to do something. But I am all ready in my pajamas."
redgirlsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #23
lemurmommies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hi all! What a day. Full moon tonight and you can TELL. The kids were insane. Just insane. It was a difficult day.

Tonight I need to update my CV and send it off to a job I am interested in for next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~whitehologram~
Is it the same in the US too? In Canada too?

Or is it just all the same everywhere?
I can speak for Ontario and Quebec. Here, there are not separate high schools. In Quebec there are two levels of high school classes in the upper grades (9-11) and in Ontario there are three (9-12) but they are all in the same place. If you want to go to university you do the highest level courses. Middle level is good for community college and some trades. Lowest level in Ontario is generally for people who will go on to manual labour or service jobs.
lemurmommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #24
jwjbbrown
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
For the most part the US does not track kids. You can pay for a private college prep school but regular HS are also good for college.
jwjbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #25
jwjbbrown
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What is the job Mel
jwjbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #26
lemurmommies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Also, here, it is not the teachers who decide what classes you take. You do. Though if you can't pass the advanced classes, you would need to move down to general.
lemurmommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #27
~whitehologram~
Registered Users
Formerly: whitehologram
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgirlsmama View Post
In the US you can choose private or public, but for the most part all schools are the same. There aren't different types of middle/junior high schools or high schools.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurmommies View Post
Hi all! What a day. Full moon tonight and you can TELL. The kids were insane. Just insane. It was a difficult day.

Tonight I need to update my CV and send it off to a job I am interested in for next year.

I can speak for Ontario and Quebec. Here, there are not separate high schools. In Quebec there are two levels of high school classes in the upper grades (9-11) and in Ontario there are three (9-12) but they are all in the same place. If you want to go to university you do the highest level courses. Middle level is good for community college and some trades. Lowest level in Ontario is generally for people who will go on to manual labour or service jobs.
Similar to here then but you are in different schools...this is what makes it hard. I have to decide now what she'll be. She has no idea what she wants to do for the rest of her life. She's only 10 and shouldn't have to worry about it now.

on the job Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurmommies View Post
Also, here, it is not the teachers who decide what classes you take. You do. Though if you can't pass the advanced classes, you would need to move down to general.
Same as the UK. But there you are in different sets...but there are 4 sets in x and 5 sets in y. 1 being the top and 5 being the very very lowest before being moved to a different school. In the science subjects you get to choose what level tests you take in each section through out the year. Those all count to your end grade and the end test you take.

Here it's all done much simpler...but that's not better.

Ok, lots ot think about...but time for bed now. everyone.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #28
jacksmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow that is all so confusing. In NY everyone is at the same school and mostly takes the same core classes. I believe regents is now mandatory in ny too. Interesting. It is crazy how at 10 you have to know what track to take

On a school note i am so frustrated. Jack hasn't had recess in a loooong time. THey keep taking it away for one or two kids "misbehaving" it is getting old and i am tired and frustrated. Im about to go all mama bear on the school