Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Interviewing care providers

This is freaking me out! We've decided my in-laws are not trustworthy enough to watch ds so I'm bookmaking occasional sitters on care.com to interview.

WHAT DO I ASK? :Eek: I know I need to cover with them Faolan's sensitivities, cloth diapers, medication, but I'm lost. What else?

Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

Re: Interviewing care providers

What things are your in-laws doing that bother you? I would definitely ask about those things. Also, ask for references.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

How you expect his appetite to be, how his sleeping usually is, what his temperament is like, what sort of things make him fussy and what sort of things soothe him - so that they'll know if it's unusual.

How they show affection, how they discipline? I know your son is still very young, but there are things that I've seen other parents/caregivers react to that I wouldn't, and non-reactions for things that I would. When Jammy was about 10 months, my mum was trying to encourage her to lower her voice, gently and kindly for sure, but the speaking voice of a 10 month old is of no concern to me whatsoever. Then again, I've seen people laugh and tolerate aggressive behaviour (swatting and biting) from babies, and others (like me ) who are more likely to break out the furrowed eyebrows and the deep, stern voice. And how Faolan reacts to that too - is he the kind of kid who crumples if someone tells him off, or does he grin, does he persist before stopping naughty behaviour, etc.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller

Ask them what they feel the scariest way for them to die would be, then tell them if they hurt your child that's exactly what you will ensure takes place in order for them to meet Jesus.

On a serious note, I would sit down and make a list of your concerns and kind of do a check list. The previous poster had a good point, think of what your inlaws do that bother you and apply them to sitters, see how they feel about it etc. For example, if the inlaws have issues with cloth diapers, ask your sitter how they feel about it.

Austen 06/12
Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
Erinne
Registered Users

In addition to the concerns about caring for your son, I'd also ask a lot about general reliability. How will she plan to get to work? Has she ever been reprimanded for being late to work? How many times has she missed work in the past month? I've never hired a sitter, but from hearing others' experiences, those issues can be huge even with someone who is great with the kids.