Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #91
mamatoblessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thrifty kids shoes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irelandclover View Post
What we need is a foot fairy, to measure our kids feet every night while they are sleeping!
Your poor poor children!! Don't you know that you have to measure feet STANDING UP?? Otherwise you don't get the correct measurement since your feet spread when you're standing. A sleeping measurement simply would NOT be accurate!!

Advertisement

Elizabeth~ Jesus loving wife to myNathan, Mama to God's blessings Jayna-11, Quaid-9, Roanen-7, Avelyn Faith-5, Conlan-2 and 2 precious ones, Victory (10-2010) and Treasure (4-2013), in the arms of Jesus. Expecting a little rainbow blessing late Aug/early Sep Doing a lot of this to get ready! My ISO/IHA
mamatoblessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #92
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

I think this is the longest thread that I've ever started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
And no I don't believe for a second their feet grow through an entire size literally overnight.
You just haven't experienced this yet. When I just had Ladybug, I too checked her feet daily to make sure the shoes fit. She was in size 5 shoes for something like six to nine months. Then one day I was putting on the shoes and they were a little tight. Since I already had size 6 shoes thanks to a generous grandma, I went ahead and put those on her. They were a little big, but she walked fine in them. The very next morning those very shoes that grandma gave her did not fit. For about two weeks she only had one pair of shoes in size 6 that fit her (and I think it was a brand that ran kind of big anyway), the other shoes in that size did not fit.

After that, I most definitely believe that a mama could experience her child growing overnight.

Back to the original topic. I was at Sears returning some things to the Lands End counter and they had all their winter stuff on 50% off already reduced prices. If anyone needs winter boots for next winter now is the time. I got these for $20.

Speaking of which, does anyone else find that they have to purchase several shoes for their kids? We have 4 distinct seasons and we play/do chores outside a lot so some shoes get really trashed. I find that I have to get one pair of "muck" shoes (crocs for summer, rain boots for fall and spring and snow boots for winter) one pair of "nice" play shoes (something like sporty mary janes for fall/spring or sandals for summer) when we go to people's houses or to the store and dress shoes for church and special events (flats for F/S/S and "nice" boots for winter).

So for every season we have 3-4 pairs of shoes out per kid. Even with great deals and buying used that adds up really quick. Plus the semi-minimalist in me is really annoyed at having so many kids shoes (with the third kid it will be 9-12 pairs of shoes)!!!! In the past when money was tight I've been able to get away with not getting true dress shoes and just doubled up on using the "nice" play shoes but wearing one's Sunday's best with snow boots or scuffed play shoes does not really work very well and will bring out sighs and critical looks from the grandmas.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #93
mamatoblessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlmrs View Post
I think this is the longest thread that I've ever started.

You just haven't experienced this yet. When I just had Ladybug, I too checked her feet daily to make sure the shoes fit. She was in size 5 shoes for something like six to nine months. Then one day I was putting on the shoes and they were a little tight. Since I already had size 6 shoes thanks to a generous grandma, I went ahead and put those on her. They were a little big, but she walked fine in them. The very next morning those very shoes that grandma gave her did not fit. For about two weeks she only had one pair of shoes in size 6 that fit her (and I think it was a brand that ran kind of big anyway), the other shoes in that size did not fit.

After that, I most definitely believe that a mama could experience her child growing overnight.

Back to the original topic. I was at Sears returning some things to the Lands End counter and they had all their winter stuff on 50% off already reduced prices. If anyone needs winter boots for next winter now is the time. I got these for $20.

Speaking of which, does anyone else find that they have to purchase several shoes for their kids? We have 4 distinct seasons and we play/do chores outside a lot so some shoes get really trashed. I find that I have to get one pair of "muck" shoes (crocs for summer, rain boots for fall and spring and snow boots for winter) one pair of "nice" play shoes (something like sporty mary janes for fall/spring or sandals for summer) when we go to people's houses or to the store and dress shoes for church and special events (flats for F/S/S and "nice" boots for winter).

So for every season we have 3-4 pairs of shoes out per kid. Even with great deals and buying used that adds up really quick. Plus the semi-minimalist in me is really annoyed at having so many kids shoes (with the third kid it will be 9-12 pairs of shoes)!!!! In the past when money was tight I've been able to get away with not getting true dress shoes and just doubled up on using the "nice" play shoes but wearing one's Sunday's best with snow boots or scuffed play shoes does not really work very well and will bring out sighs and critical looks from the grandmas.
Sorry for the crazy thread!!

I know what you mean about having lots of shoes, I've been trying to figure that out myself because when there are 5 children and each of them have 4 pairs of footwear, it's too much!! Right now most of the children have 1 pair of cowboy boots, 1 pair of work cowboy boots, 1 pair of snowboots, 1 pair of Keens and 1 pair of mud boots. I'm thinking that I'm going to get each child a pair of BOGS that will cut out the work cowboy boots, the snow boots and the mud boots. Then they would each have 3 pairs. My children wear their cowboy boots for "good shoes" most of the time and I love the Keens because they can be worn as sandals or as shoes without looking dorky.
Elizabeth~ Jesus loving wife to myNathan, Mama to God's blessings Jayna-11, Quaid-9, Roanen-7, Avelyn Faith-5, Conlan-2 and 2 precious ones, Victory (10-2010) and Treasure (4-2013), in the arms of Jesus. Expecting a little rainbow blessing late Aug/early Sep Doing a lot of this to get ready! My ISO/IHA
Old 02-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #94
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:

Each kid has a pair of nice/church shoes, rainboots, play shoes, and school shoes (if school aged). So we normally have 3-4 pairs per kid at a time.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #95
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoblessings View Post
I'm thinking that I'm going to get each child a pair of BOGS that will cut out the work cowboy boots, the snow boots and the mud boots.
So, I've considered this, but do you think the BOGS would be too warm for summer time for work/mud boots? And do you think they'd actually last as long as people say they do? I almost bought a pair (cancelled the order) because it seemed like way too much money to spend on a pair of boots for a 4 year old.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #96
B's Mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: All Fleeced Out
seller
seller

My Mood:

My dd has only 1 pair of shoes right now. They can be worn with a fun dress, or with normal clothes - they are pink mary jane style shoes. She normally has 1 pair of sneakers, and 1 pair of sandals in the summer - we don't do snow boots because it barely snows here anymore (just muddy), and we try to avoid being outside when it's super muddy anyway. Even when we went to church, it wasn't one that required you to get all dressy for (just nice looking clothes, but not super dressy), so she normally wore her sneakers.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #97
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by B's Mommy View Post
. Even when we went to church, it wasn't one that required you to get all dressy for (just nice looking clothes, but not super dressy), so she normally wore her sneakers.
Well, it certainly is not a church requirement. Many people at our church wear jeans. But, DH and I try to dress nice for church, so our kids do too

That and my kids love to play outdoors when it is muddy. With our weather, if I tried to avoid times when it is really muddy, we'd not be able to go outdoors almost half the year, we don't get a real snow too often (maybe three or four times a year?), but at least two months of the year are made up of nearly frozen, slushy mud from nearly freezing rain and/or sleet and the other four are just muddy. Even in the summer it can be so humid that the ground is just muddy
Old 02-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #98
mamatoblessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You can get different "levels", so if you got the lowest cold rating (as in the least warmest boot) and then just wore heavy socks or wool socks on them in the winter, I would think they would be okay. Of course, this is all what I'm thinking in my head, I haven't actually tried it yet! LOL!! I do know that a friend of my DHs has a pair of BOGS (or maybe muck brand boots) that he wears at the barn when he's cleaning his stalls or washing his horses and he wears them year round out there.
As far as how long they last, they are REALLY well made. We only have one pair for our youngest DD right now (they were given to us) and they are very well constructed. My SIL has the Muck brand boots for her DC and I think those have held up well for her children too (older boys in Alaska). I plan on scouring Ebay for ours to try to save a bit on them, but also checking the farm stores starting now since winter clothing/shoes will go on clearance soon.

Quote:
So, I've considered this, but do you think the BOGS would be too warm for summer time for work/mud boots? And do you think they'd actually last as long as people say they do? I almost bought a pair (cancelled the order) because it seemed like way too much money to spend on a pair of boots for a 4 year old.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:19 PM   #99
B's Mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: All Fleeced Out
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Well, it certainly is not a church requirement. Many people at our church wear jeans. But, DH and I try to dress nice for church, so our kids do too

That and my kids love to play outdoors when it is muddy. With our weather, if I tried to avoid times when it is really muddy, we'd not be able to go outdoors almost half the year, we don't get a real snow too often (maybe three or four times a year?), but at least two months of the year are made up of nearly frozen, slushy mud from nearly freezing rain and/or sleet and the other four are just muddy. Even in the summer it can be so humid that the ground is just muddy
I didn't mean to imply that it's a requirement. I should have clarified better - when we had first started going to that church, we felt very out of place being all dressed up. I was one of the only women in a dress, along with dd, and dh is one of the only one of the men who wore a tie. It was more of a khaki's and slacks type of place. We definitely don't have the humidity problem during most of the summer anymore! lol It was SUUUUPER dry all summer long - and it's only been too muddy to play outside (like literally our yard is flooded right now) for the past week or so. I wish it rained more in the summer like it used to - I have such fond memories of playing outside in the summer rain...now you can't use summer and rain in the same sentence anymore.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #100
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoblessings View Post
You can get different "levels", so if you got the lowest cold rating (as in the least warmest boot) and then just wore heavy socks or wool socks on them in the winter, I would think they would be okay. Of course, this is all what I'm thinking in my head, I haven't actually tried it yet! LOL!! I do know that a friend of my DHs has a pair of BOGS (or maybe muck brand boots) that he wears at the barn when he's cleaning his stalls or washing his horses and he wears them year round out there.
As far as how long they last, they are REALLY well made. We only have one pair for our youngest DD right now (they were given to us) and they are very well constructed. My SIL has the Muck brand boots for her DC and I think those have held up well for her children too (older boys in Alaska). I plan on scouring Ebay for ours to try to save a bit on them, but also checking the farm stores starting now since winter clothing/shoes will go on clearance soon.
I didn't even think of the farm stores, it's about time we made a trip out to Southern States... The cheapest I've seen is Amazon where some of the color/size combinations are only $28. But that's for the Glosh, their "rain" boot, I don't think it has any insulation. Hmm, it would certainly be nice to only have one work boot, I wonder if there's some way to make a fleece moccasin like liner to go inside. Some of the Lands End boots have removable liners, which gave me the idea.

On a slightly different note, have you had success with any non-Muck brand adult boot lasting for more than a year? I'm thinking of trying these Tingleys out for me and DH. Adult Mucks are not in the budget right now after the spending spree for the girls.