Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Any tips?

My 6yo is having surgery tomorrow. Of course he can't eat anything past midnight.... Well, he's a hearty eater and gets extremely irritable when hungry. His surgery doesn't start until 1pm tomorrow.

I have to feed his three sisters before then of course... I don't know how to go about doing that. I was hoping and praying that his surgery might be at 8am or something like that.

Have you ever been in a situation like this?

Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

In my experience (dd has had multiple surgeries and I've had 4 c/s) it's no solids 8 hours before and only clear liquids like apple juice or water until 6 hours before. You can always call and double check on the info. That's a long time even for a child that age. I always scheduled my LO surgery early in the morning- even the important ones that had to be put off by up to a week. Her first surgery was at 3 months old and last was at 22 months.
If they want to stick with the after midnight rule an you don't want to reschedule then I would keep him up super late and give him filling foods like carbs and protein and try and get him to sleep most of the morning so he wakes up as close to surgery time as possible.
Good luck with his surgery!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum most likely while nursing
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any tips?

I agree with the PP's suggestions. Likely they're going to stick with the midnight rule, and you're not going to be able to shuffle OR times around - heck, if emergencies happen he may be pushed later anyways.
I would let him stay up a bit later than normal (though not hours and hours), long enough that he's able to have a good, big snack before going to bed.

Really, at 6, he's old enough to understand that it's safest to not have anything in your stomach for surgery and that that's just what he has to do.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think you guys have a good suggestion with the staying up later and filling him up thing... I think that's my only option at this point. I will make sure he's pretty full before bed.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've never heard of restricting solids for 13 hours prior to surgery. I think you should call & double check.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They bumped his surgery up to 12:30pm so we're at the hospital now.

I stuffed him full last night but he didn't really sleep in, of course! I gave him an apple juice drink at 8:30am and surprisingly he has not totally freaked out about hunger (yet).

He is watching Nickelodeon right now in the waiting room.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
mekat
Registered Users

I'm glad he is handling things well. Good luck with the surgery.

Unfortunately as they get older it gets harder to secure earlier spots for procedures and surgeries where anesthesia is used because they tend to schedule the youngest first since they can't cope without food as long as older kids can. It just goes with the territory of having an older kid that needs more involved medical care such as surgery and the like.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I understand (logically). The mama instinct in me doesn't like it.

I will post a picture of him when I get home later. He thinks he looks like a nurse in his mini scrubs and cap lol.

And thank you!