Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Ten Month Old With Lazy Latch

My ds is getting a bit lazy with his latch . . . he keeps pulling his head back so that he is more on the nipple than the surrounding breast tissue. He's actually been doing this for a long time, but it used to just be only when my milk let down and he was swallowing like crazy to keep up with the flow. Now it seems he is pulling back all the time.

Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas on what to do besides relatch or hold the back of his head firmly to the breast (we nurse in cradle hold).

Thank you!

Pumpkinnoodlemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Ten Month Old With Lazy Latch

I have the same problem with 9mo DD. I have a fast let down and she has a bad habit of pulling back. Forcing her just makes her mad. I have to take her off then make her relatch until she stops. Distractions are also becoming a big problem. She is too busy looking around to finish nursing.
tracyleigh00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
My Mood:
Re: Ten Month Old With Lazy Latch

My son got like this a 10 months too. Like he was just too comfortable with his booby. It actually made my nipples some what sore. I had to just deal with it unfortunately. He has gotten back on track with his latch now. Could be a phase. Maybe try a nursing necklace for yourself. It might keep him interested in staying closer to you and get a better latch naturally.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
Registered Users
Remind him to open big and wide before latching. Put your arm behind him and don't allow him to pull back. My son did the exact same sonewhere around that age.
Single Mommy to my 3 year old DS born all natural. We are a Cosleeping, Breastfeeding, Babywearing Non-Vaxing DUO!!
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote