Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
piccolabambola
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Sudden bad behavior linked to PL'ing?

I'm really fortunate that my DD has been a complete angel for her 29 months - DH and I are really un-schooled in the land of temper tantrums and willful behavior we really have no clue...

My DD just started actively PL'ing in the past 2 weeks, and that is going steadily well (just a few poop accidents, we're still learning to be confident with that on the potty)

However, I have noticed that her behavior (not related to potty specifically, just in general) has deteriorated. A lot more temper tantrums, willful defiance and the like - and I don't know if it is just that I am totally exhausted from chasing her around all the time for pottytime when I was more used to the chill diaper changes...and it's me...or if it's just the age (29 months!)

Anyone else experience this?

Advertisement

piccolabambola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sudden bad behavior linked to PL'ing?

I am actually wondering the same thing.

We haven't pushed the PLing but DS seems "ready" and on Friday night he peed and pooped in his potty. Yesterday he peed in it once but was more emotional about it but was fighting and didn't want a diaper on necessarily, either. He wanted to wear underwear today so we'll see.

Anyhow, we have had a very very difficult week. He is always a handful but this has been a lot more outright defiance and doing things because he knows I don't want him to, throwing lots of tantrums, etc. I don't know if it's just because he's 2 1/2, or if it's related to PLing.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

well...

DD turns 29 months this week... and let me tell you.. the tantrums have escalated over the last week to a degree where I seriously wonder if the people next door are going to call social services or something (think duplex).

so... partially, I honestly think it's the age. She's gotten really good at expressing herself most of the time, but I think when she cannot express herself, she gets exceptionally frustrated by her inability to communicate her needs and therefore goes into a spectacular meltdown.

Adding in potty training and yes.. you can have the environment for the perfect storm. Because the choice to pee and poop in a certain place is big to them.

I'm not saying don't continue your potty training (I'm jealous and I'd love to be potty training), but I do think that it will help to give more choices in everything. So that they're feeling that they're in control of some things and will feel less need to meltdown.

that's all I've got.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
WinterBaby
Registered Users
seller

I think that it's probably both the age and potty learning. My DD had some very defiant behavior associated with potty learning (she was 22 months when we started). I had to get very creative. With my older DS we didn't start potty learning until he was closer to 3 and the defiance was already there. (That's partly why I decided to start earlier with DD so we could deal with potty learning before the "terrible 2/3 behavior" got into full swing.). Her behavior has improved now that she is day trained. And the potty learning process was great in helping her feel proud of accomplishments. I love hearing her say, "I did it!"
WinterBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
piccolabambola
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

WinterBaby - I definitely see the pride in DD's accomplishments also, and it keeps us going!

But EmilytheStrange -
Quote:
the tantrums have escalated over the last week to a degree where I seriously wonder if the people next door are going to call social services or something (think duplex).
I hear you! Condo living..I had the exact same thought today right before naptime.

Glad I'm not the only one - it's just so intense the way these 2-year olds develop day by day (and they tell me 3 is even more so! Can't wait...)
piccolabambola is offline   Reply With Quote