Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
Registered Users
Please help. Need Advice Please. Weaning

My baby is 3 weeks old today and I have gave my breastmilk (through pumping only in bottles) for 2 of those 3 weeks.

First week she was on formula from hospital as she was small.

Anyways, after 3 weeks right now (2 weeks of giving breastmilk), I want to stop. It's not for me. I am not enjoying my daughter because I am not able to pump much at all. And I am pumping every 2-3 hours around the clock and whenever I do have time with my daugther, I'm so exhausted and need sleep. I am barely enjoying her and my motherhood.

Breastpumping is not making me a happy person.

She will not latch on me either and I prefer to formula feed her now.

I stopped pumping regularly yesterday (Monday) at 5am. I pumped at 5am and then I pumped again at 3pm yesterday. Then today (Tuesday) I pumped at 2am after 11 hour break.

My breasts are getting engorged; I am taking motrin 600mg around the clock every 6 hours, putting cold compressions on for relief. I'm drinking peppermint tea, and eating Peppermnt Altoids (1 every hour so 24 in a day), and I'm doing the cold cabbage in my bra thing. I am also wearing a tight sportsbra around the clock. I'm also not going to shower for 2-3 days right now because I dont want any warm water going on my breasts.

I pumped 4.5 ounces at 3pm on Monday after 10 hour break. I pumped 4 ounces this morning at 2am after a 11 hour break.

I wanted to try to go 24 hours before I pump. I know it's going to be painful but I wanted to go to just 1 pump.

I'm pumping for 10 minutes as well each time.

Can you recommend if I should pump for only 5 minutes the next time i pump (in 24 hours)?

I just want my milk to dry up and me move on to formula and be a happy mom.

Please advise when my milk will dry up.

mommywow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Please help. Need Advice Please. Weaning

When I weaned my son at 4 months I did what you are doing for a few days but then I knew I had to give up cold turkey. Once I did that, the enforcement went away in about 24 hours and my breasts were emptied of milk after a week. It hurt. A lot, but in the end it was faster than doing it gradually.
Loving wife to my gaming, sports loving hubbie. Sahm to J 2/12 and L 10/13
UVASahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: Please help. Need Advice Please. Weaning

Drink sage tea. As many cups as you can stand. That will help dry you up.
E, wife to my rock, S 2009
Mama to DD 1/13
evasimone is offline   Reply With Quote