Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Phil & Teds vs Mountain Buggy Duet for Twins?

Anybody want to help me think through this? Have any experience with a MB? I've read all the reviews I can find, I just cannot choose the best option for us. I'm never indecisive. GRRRR.

I have had the perfect stroller for 6.5 years - our Phil and Teds E3. Love everything about it. Its discontinued and going to our house in Florida. I am pregnant with twins. These are our last babies. I am torn which one of these two strollers (these are really the two I'm interested in considering) is the way to go. Cost-wise, let's consider them even. That's not a factor. We walk in our neighborhood every single day, and I also carry our stroller fulltime in our Odyssey. Neither are small, but the P and T is 6# lighter.

The MB Duet always the twinnies to both be in their infant seats which is so handy when keeping up with 3 older children too. Its one piece so I don't have to add on the lower seat everytime I want to use the stroller. Its heavier and bigger folded. The kiddos will outgrow it around 3yrs of age since the seats are tiny. I'm concerned they will be in touching range of each other and that will create drama.

The Navigator is like coming home. Very similar to what I know and love. I can do one carseat attachment but the other will always have to be taken out and worn along with holding the 3 year olds hand. Unless there is some not mentioned way to set another infant seat in the lower seat since it reclines now? (it doesn't on my e3). But when the littles move to convertibles (around 5-6 months like my others I would guess), then they are separated in the P and T, which comfortably still holds my 5 year old. But I will forever have to install and remove the lower seat, making it less efficient to use.

What to do? How often will I really be out and about by van with twins in their first 5 or 6 months of life? Will I really use the stroller when out and about with twins in infant seats? Will I wish the seats were roomier and/or separated on the MB? Will I wish I didn't have the extra seat to install everytime on the P & T? Help!

Advertisement

Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
gabmaxi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would get a side by side. That way you could put a rider board on the back for any older children. I have both a tandem and a side by side. Tandem is great for one older and one infant. Side by side they love - no fights as to who is in front. Plus I'm going to attach a board on the back for my oldest when the new baby arrives.
gabmaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Phil & Teds vs Mountain Buggy Duet for Twins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabmaxi View Post
I would get a side by side. That way you could put a rider board on the back for any older children. I have both a tandem and a side by side. Tandem is great for one older and one infant. Side by side they love - no fights as to who is in front. Plus I'm going to attach a board on the back for my oldest when the new baby arrives.
I can do a rider board with either stroller, which is great. I did think with the side by side about avoiding the "who's in front" debate .
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'll PM you back later today and give you my take.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
I'll PM you back later today and give you my take.
Thanks Heather! Can't wait for your feedback. Want some more twins mommies to comment!!
Old 02-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I can't offer any help, just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS!! This is such exciting news.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumkinsmommy View Post
I can't offer any help, just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS!! This is such exciting news.
Awww, thanks! I had about 6 hours of shock, dismay and disbelief, truly. Now, I'm excited and see them as the DOUBLE BLESSINGS they are. An exciting new and final chapter to my mothering journey!
Old 02-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #8
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I HATE my Mountain Buggy Urban Double. It pushes nice. That is the ONLY redeeming quality. I bought it online without seeing it in person first and have regretted it ever since.

The seats are narrow and it is short. It has a super high weight limit, but no kids are ever going to make it there because the canopy is short.

Canopy SUCKS. Not nearly big enough. I think it might have been improved on the Duet though. Fold SUCKS and is super awkward. It is really heavy. Make sure you try folding it before you buy it.

If I had it to do over, I would buy a BJ instead. Every time we go to Disney, DH and I talk about buying a BJ. In the end, since the kids are 2 and 4, we've decided we don't need a 6th double stroller. But man do I want one.

I bought the bassinet with it as part of the deal. We've used it about 4 times. Niether DS nor DD would lay peacefully in there like on the pictures. They both wanted to be up and looking around. They would cry in the bassinet, but sit nicely in the seats.

The straps are a PITA to adjust. You pretty much set them and leave them. It is not conducive to using for multiple kids and adjusting. They adjust kinda like Maclaren waist straps.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 02-26-2013 at 07:05 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #9
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

luvsviola... thank you so much for your feedback. I need to see if anywhere here even stocks them to try out. I too am concerned about the PITA nature of the seat back adjustment, the fold, and the weight. Must try it out. Thanks!