Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #101
myblessedbaby
Registered
seller

Re: The value of well child checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Meh, that's great that it was caught, but it would have been caught when you started teaching him to read in a bit anyway. He would have had trouble, and vision issues are a first check. Here you have to have them checked by an optometrist before kindergarten. You can also get free vision screenings from the lion's club and such without going to well child visits.
I started doing 'pre-k' homeschool when DS was 3. He learned all his letters/sounds and started reading with me. He then went through a year of full day pre-k at a public school and is in his 2nd year of pre-k now (missed the cut off for kindergarten due to birth date), where they did more reading and site words. He can decode CVC words and he has never once complained about not being able to see the letters. Print at this age is typically larger, that's the only reason I can think of why he was able to succeed with such poor vision. It wasn't caught by myself or his teacher. Yes, it may have been caught a year or so down the road as he got into more formal schooling, but I'm glad it can be corrected now. Which is why to me, the well visit was valuable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
Yeah. Plus we have never had a doc do a vision screening during a well check.

We do take our kids to the opthomologist every august from age 1 anyways. We all have bad eyes (all wear glasses) so its something we keep watch on.
I'm glad our doc does do eye exams or this wouldn't have been caught for another year or so when they do eye exams in kindergarten (or at least they used to). I think it's great that you are so proactive about eye exams, given the family history. We don't have that history, so it's not something that was on my radar.

Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #102
tonewinwy
Registered Users

My Mood:

My Sister always took her Kids to their Well Visit appointments. My younger Nephew developed perfectly fine up till 9mos. By 12mos at his Well Visit the Dr was feeling his legs and said HMMM I want him to have a CT Scan. Had to wait almost a month for the appointment. Dr got the results and said now I want him to have an MRI done. That was almost another month to wait for appointment.

At 14mos he was diagnosed with mild PVL(Periventricular leukomalacia)/CP. For almost a yr we thought he was developing normally maybe some little delays here and there but figured he'd catch up. My Sister immediately got him OT,PT,and ST through First Steps.

Had she not kept up with his Well visits ain't no telling how long it would of been before we found out about his PVL. And wouldn't of been able to get him Therapy as quickly. Therefore maybe he wouldn't be doing as well today as he is.
It's OK, next time I'll make you listen. I wish that it were in the power of all children to say that to their parents and to know that indeed they would be heard as we were in those wonderful days on Waltons Mountain.Narrator The Waltons (From the Runaway in Season 3 Eposide 4.)
tonewinwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:20 PM   #103
Wendylady
Registered Users

My oldest son was diagnosed with hydrocephalus because of well baby checkups. While I think it took way too long for the doctor to start the testing that led to the diagnosis and that he should have caught it a lot sooner I wouldn't have realized there was something seriously wrong till it potentially caused further brain damage or even possibly killed him.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #104
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

If I didn't have insurance, I wouldn't go either.

I have a daycare child who is SO obviously way behind in every way, and his pediatricians haven't noticed. I'd be really upset if I paid out of pocket when they don't even notice the obvious. (in all fairness, they only see him for about 20 minutes..so, I can't expect them to magically see everything)
Old 02-27-2013, 02:14 AM   #105
anne_josh
Registered Users
seller

We do them to get baselines on height, weight and also developmental checkups. I know all that can be found online, but I am not a doctor. There can also be things that aren't obvious to a parent, like a heart murmur or defect. Unlikely, but possible, and worth a half hour of my time to make sure of IMO.
anne_josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:37 AM   #106
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

we do checks so kids not afraid of doctor. i hear around here some kids terrified of doc cuz they dont go. here too some do & some dont do candy for those they have. my oldest was disappointed plus if you dont agree you wouldnt go to that pediatrician. like we found one we didnt seem to care for after son was born...couldnt make up his mind on what he was concerned about. hoping we didnt do billi blannket for no reason because it also made belly button fall off prematurely as it was still bleeding....as to find out doc was like worried on stuff our other wasnt.one not our main also a not white doc should have known like not white babies tend to be more jaundice... our doc looked at things & was like i wouldnt have been worried...ours also didnt push for back sleeping with second as she refused to sleep on her back.