Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
triton77
Registered Users
seller

Help with VBAC options

This may be more of a vent but I need some advice too.

Background: 3 natural vag deliveries.
First was the worst induced and episiotomy plus I tore.

Next two I told the doctor (same doc)hands off and it was perfect about three hours from the time the first contraction hit til the baby was here no tears. There were only 3 people in the room my DH, Doc, and a nurse, no lights on(I know weird), and I was left alone. My DH actually slept til about 15min before the baby was here.

My next pregnancy was twins I switched from our local hospital(where my first 3 were born) with no NICU to one 1hr away with NICU. My water broke at 32wks and I opted for a section. It was awful, I had tons of complications plus other issues. This is a very large teaching hospital and you are just a number.

I am now pg and due in early Aug. At my first OB visit we went over VBAC policies for our local hospital they are:
No going past due date, No inductions, IV, constant monitoring.
And the kicker: Due to having no surgeon at the hospital round the clock you can only deliver during the hours of 8-5 Mon-Fri
Basically the only way to VBAC here is to show up complete with the baby coming out.
My doctor recommends all her VBAC patients to go the hospital I had my twins at or have a homebirth.
I do not want to go to that hospital again. I would love a homebirth but my DH is very anti homebirth. He says it's my body and I can do what I want be he won't be here for it.

So any suggestions or advice??
Thanks for the help!

Advertisement

triton77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
Havah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help with VBAC options

No advice, but just an impression on your DH: he's scared. My DH has only "forbidden" one thing in our marriage, and it's an HBAC. Nothing scares him more than losing me, and in his mind "any risk is too high." Admittedly, we live 30 miles from the nearest birthing center, and neither of us want to deliver in an ER. And I've had 3CS (it was 2CS when I approached him, so it would have been HBA2C). But simply asking him what it was about a homebirth that bothered him so and challenging him to at least compare/contrast the risks and benefits of each got the door of communication open again. We were at peace with each other when I delivered ... and although I did have a CS, it was at 40w3d and I was already in labor - so I recovered well and DD2 scored a 10 on the Apgar, alert, feeding well.

I'm not saying you should sacrifice your desires; just that the key may be getting the communication open again.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
scwendy
Registered Users
seller

Honestly, if DH isn't comfortable with a HB, I would consider the large teaching hospital where you delivered your twins if a VBAC is what you have your heart set on.

I would not like to only have the option to show up ready to push, but that's just me. I am attempting a VBA4C at the local university/research hospital any day now (EDD was 2-25). Since I am going into it planning for a VBAC, DH and I are making sure that we are clear on our birth plan and options. You might be surprised what options you may have to make your birth experience more pleasant with a planned VBAC versus a C/S.

We didn't know until we reasearched and asked and as it turned out there were many routine procedures (residents in room etc) that are not REQUIRED and you can opt out of. Talk to someone there and go for a visit and tour and ask those questions.

I personally feel most comfortable laboring at a hospital with OBs/anethesiologists on site 24/7 due to my prior C/Ss, and I certainly have no idea if baby boy will conveniently arrive between 8-5 M-F.

Good luck and congratulations!
scwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Some women have found that watching "The Business of Being Born" with their DH has been pretty helpful for getting him to consider a home birth. I haven't seen that one yet myself, and so I can't vouch for it personally, but it's an option, anyways.

Would going to the teaching hospital with a doula be an option, maybe? The doula would be there to support you every step of the way, and help you fight for your birth wishes when you're in labour, so you don't have to argue with the staff over things when you're not up for it. She would provide the personal care and support that you missed out on last time you were there. If your DH won't consider a homebirth, maybe that could help?

I don't think I'd opt for the local hospital if you're going to be on the clock like that. Too much stress!

All the best with finding a solution that works for you!
Old 02-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had 2 c/s and my dr said after 2 they do not allow a vbac. That was ok by me bc I was moving. So I searched and found a Dr who would perform them who was very reputable and in one of the top hospitals.

I go an hr and a half away but I got my vba2c and it was amazing. I am also due in Aril and using the same Dr.

I would do as much research as you could to find the top Drs and hospitals. Wen it comes down to it you need to go with your momma instincts after all the research is done.

In my case though vba2c or c/s I would have to still go that far away bc where I live the medical is horrible.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
ambivalent_amy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Here's a silly question. So you can't VBAC because there's no surgeon in the hospital outside business hours. So what do they do if a woman who is not a VBAC needs an emergency c in the middle of the night? Transfer her to the other hospital? Call someone in? Why can't they do the same for you? And what happens if you show up outside business hours in labor anyway? Turn you away? Make you have a c? Wait, no surgeon, they couldn't do that. That doesn't make sense to me. I'd question this a bit further if I were you.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_amy
Here's a silly question. So you can't VBAC because there's no surgeon in the hospital outside business hours. So what do they do if a woman who is not a VBAC needs an emergency c in the middle of the night? Transfer her to the other hospital? Call someone in? Why can't they do the same for you? And what happens if you show up outside business hours in labor anyway? Turn you away? Make you have a c? Wait, no surgeon, they couldn't do that. That doesn't make sense to me. I'd question this a bit further if I were you.
Yup. He is blowing smoke up your you know where. Not having surgeons available is laughable and ANY birth can need an immediate c-section so if there are no surgeons there is no maternity ward. I had a HBAC and would try discussing further with your husband especially when you had 3 easy births prior to the section,
Old 03-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #8
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_amy View Post
I'm wondering if this is a smaller hospital and high risk patients and emergencies are diverted to a larger one?
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #9
mhschool6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first 5 deliveries were vaginal, natural births. And then my 6th was a c-section, and I had soooo many complications. So with my 7th, I went to several doctors before I found one that would do a vbac. And it was so wonderful! Totally worth all the extra work to find that doctor!!! But anyway, would a birthing center, with an OB on staff, be an option? That way you don't have to have a hospital birth, but your DH may feel more comfortable. And you have the OB there, although I feel the midwives do a much better job!! Hehe!!
Hannah- married to M for 14 yrs: Mama of 7 amazing children! Ages 13yrs down to 23mos And expecting #8 January 2014!!!
mhschool6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #10
bruenderbaby
Registered Users

My Mood:

My hubby is the same way about not wanting a HBAC. I understand and agreed for my first vbac, since 20 min can be the difference between losing the baby or not. That being said, my vote is get a doula and go to the big hospital or show up at the closer hospital pretty far into labor. They cant' turn you away and they won't have any time to do any of those silly requirements.