Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-24-2013, 06:44 AM   #11
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Re: 8 week old twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanolin View Post
Each baby is so different. It really depends on their weight and growth pattern, sometimes they will need more. If it is really important for you to have them sleep through the night. I would feed/nurse them on a strict 3hour schedule throughout the day and let them sleep during the night without the scheduling, but still feed them if they do wake up.
This, plus when they wake at night, wait a few minutes to see if they are just fussing as a transition between sleep cycles, or they are actually waking. Soooooo many parents immediately stick a nipple in the baby's mouth as soon as they make a peep at night, and inadvertently wake them up and teach their babies to need to eat at night. Wait 3-5 minutes if you can (with twins that would be especially difficult) to see if they are truly hungry or just being noisy about moving between sleep cycles. Some babies will fuss quite a bit and even open their eyes, all while asleep, and then suddenly drop back into deep sleep, if you just wait it out to let them do it.

Physiologically, a healthy full term infant should be capable of sleeping 10-12 hours solid without waking by the time they are at least 13 pounds and 3 months old. Some babies can do it sooner. This is assuming the baby is NOT doing most of their sleeping during the day and most of their eating at night. Like pp said, wake them every 2-3 hours during daytime to eat and let them sleep undisturbed at night. Get them both full of food and tired from being awake a lot during the day, so they are good to sleep at night

I would expect them to be waking at night to eat for another 8 weeks at least, since they are technically only 4 weeks old right now.

Advertisement

Last edited by Melinda29; 02-24-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #12
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda29 View Post
This, plus when they wake at night, wait a few minutes to see if they are just fussing as a transition between sleep cycles, or they are actually waking. Soooooo many parents immediately stick a nipple in the baby's mouth as soon as they make a peep at night, and inadvertently wake them up and teach their babies to need to eat at night. Wait 3-5 minutes if you can (with twins that would be especially difficult) to see if they are truly hungry or just being noisy about moving between sleep cycles. Some babies will fuss quite a bit and even open their eyes, all while asleep, and then suddenly drop back into deep sleep, if you just wait it out to let them do it.

Physiologically, a healthy full term infant should be capable of sleeping 10-12 hours solid without waking by the time they are at least 13 pounds and 3 months old. Some babies can do it sooner. This is assuming the baby is NOT doing most of their sleeping during the day and most of their eating at night. Like pp said, wake them every 2-3 hours during daytime to eat and let them sleep undisturbed at night. Get them both full of food and tired from being awake a lot during the day, so they are good to sleep at night

I would expect them to be waking at night to eat for another 8 weeks at least, since they are technically only 4 weeks old right now.
Agreed!
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #13
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My twin DDs (37 weekers) started sleeping through the night @ 5 months. It stopped and took 2-3 months to resume at every growth spurt. So, throughout their first 2 years they may have slept through the night a total of 6-8 months and rarely continued sleeping through the night for more than a couple months straight. They are now nearing 4yrs old and for the last several months one of them routinely wakes up around 3-4 am and crawls into bed with us. They have never slept well through the night throughout illnesses, but it has been significantly easier to resume full nights of sleep after illnesses than after growth spurts.

For 36 weekers I think it is really early for you to be thinking about stopping night feedings.

Last edited by raymark; 02-24-2013 at 12:58 PM.
raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #14
twinmomstl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We let them CIO around 3-4 months and that worked well (no bad mouthing me please). They have slept well ever since! I think they just need a little nudge in the right direction. Good luck to you!
Working my dream job as NICU Nurse . I have two not so little monsters Dominick and Gavin born 08/08/08 Still TTC #3
twinmomstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #15
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first two were awesome sleepers. Sleeping from 8pm till 5am and then back to sleep till 8ish by 3 or 4 months. They were born at 36 and 37 weeks.

My third (born at 39 weeks) still wakes at least once at 1is and then at 5ish to eat.

I do what I like to call "the bathroom test" When I hear them fuss, I get up, go to the bathroom and if they are still fussing I go in. If not I go back to bed.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #16
meesh38
Registered Users
seller

I think after 8 weeks they started going longer stretches here and there, but at 6 months we did CIO. I think it took 3 or 4 nights.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #17
MyNameIsMama
Registered Users
seller

I think it must vary, my DS started sleeping through MOST nights at 18 months. But now at 26 months he still will wake up occasionally. They go through a lot, teething, growth spurts and when they are a bit older night terrors or nightmares.
MyNameIsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #18
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

My twins were routinely sleeping through the night at about 11-12 months. Then we had some regression from 14-16 months and then since then they've pretty much STTN except when sick, etc.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote