Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #61
7mom7
Registered Users

Re: Homeschool check in Feb 14th-28th

I need to join in on this! Maybe some of you veteran mom's can help keep me sane!

Last week the kids had the flu and this week I'm paying the price for letting them veg in front of the TV all week. They were so lethargic that I wasn't really sure what else to do besides TV. This week they are hyper, uncooperative, and constantly asking for TV. I talked to DH and he agreed to do an electronics fast to try and reboot them. We've done school this week but it certainly hasn't gone as smooth as it normally does. Mainly I'm frustrated by behavior and I know TV/electronics are the issue. They make DS1 incredibly hyper...he literally can't sit still right now.

I know that HS is 100% the right decision but days like today make me realize what a sacrifice it can be. Someone tell me it gets easier as they get older?

Advertisement

7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #62
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Busy day here. We had bowling this morning, and then did grocery shopping and lunch. We got home and the kids started schoolwork and I baked a cake (sort of a rainbow cake, but not exactly) for YDD to take tonight to church. I did a batch of chocolate chip pumpkin bread, as well, since DH likes to take it when he flies and he flies tomorrow (he's a flight engineer). As soon as the pumpkin bread comes out of the oven, I have to run up to the post office because apparently we have packages to pick up. Never had that happen before. Hmmm, come to think of it, I think I will call first to make sure the mail carrier has made it back and they've been unloaded.

ooooh....i read this....then i stopped processing after pumpkin bread...mmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2JandS View Post
We are slowly getting back into school. We had off for a few weeks because I had open heart surgery at the end of January. I had my very first homeschool review today and I passed! I'm looking forward to getting back to our regular routine.
glad you are back at it!! hope you are feeling better!!
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #63
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

2/27/2013
We did coin bingo. It was for my kindergartener daughter, but kids in general all love BINGO for some reason LOL so my son also played too. then at the end of the day, $1 bill and $5 bill I took from my husband's wallet without mentioning it to him went AWOL. My husband wanted to go to a grocery store to buy something sweet, then noticed they were missing. I was asked not to take money out of his wallet for educational purpose anymore.

I asked this question on a separate thread, but I just realized yesterday that my son will be done with his Saxon math 3 in 20 lessons (19 now) and I have to decide which curriculum to buy next. Yeah, I should have decided on that sooner. lol but I've been very busy and we are rather laid back with homeschooling. lol

I am considering Saxon, A beka, and Singapore Math.
IF you have experience in any of these, and can share your experience and advice, will you give me some input? What I want to know is strong characteristic of each and difference between them.
Is Singapore a good choice for advanced boy who loves math and can't get enough of it? I want him to continue to advance in math and enjoy it. I want to give him as much knowledge as I can give him and help build his strong skill.

Thanks.

Click Here
to join suporpoints and get your 50 poits.
Earn points for paypal cash.
Do you like shopping online? Get rebates from ebates, Mr. Rebates
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #64
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Jen, y'all should look into the Hank the Cowdog books. I bet your kids would enjoy them. Geronimo Stilton is another good one. And yes, as you get further into the Magic Treehouse books, there does tend to be more magic.
Thanks for the recommendations! Who's the authors? I will see if our library has them.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #65
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mom7 View Post
I need to join in on this! Maybe some of you veteran mom's can help keep me sane!

Last week the kids had the flu and this week I'm paying the price for letting them veg in front of the TV all week. They were so lethargic that I wasn't really sure what else to do besides TV. This week they are hyper, uncooperative, and constantly asking for TV. I talked to DH and he agreed to do an electronics fast to try and reboot them. We've done school this week but it certainly hasn't gone as smooth as it normally does. Mainly I'm frustrated by behavior and I know TV/electronics are the issue. They make DS1 incredibly hyper...he literally can't sit still right now.

I know that HS is 100% the right decision but days like today make me realize what a sacrifice it can be. Someone tell me it gets easier as they get older?
Yes, it does get better. It's hard after a week like that. My older two don't fight me much on schoolwork anymore because at this point they know they have to do it. A suggestion for the next time y'all are sick, though, would be to listen to audiobooks. They would still get the rest time, but it shouldn't be so difficult to get back into the swing of things.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #66
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Thanks for the recommendations! Who's the authors? I will see if our library has them.
Hank the Cowdog is by John R Erickson (not positive I spelled his last name correctly) The audiobooks of this are good, too.

Geronimo Stilton is not actually written by Geronimo Stilton (he's a mouse, so rather difficult for him to publish books), but they are listed as written by him. There are a few other series based around this one, like Thea Stilton.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #67
7mom7
Registered Users

Quote:
Yes, it does get better. It's hard after a week like that. My older two don't fight me much on schoolwork anymore because at this point they know they have to do it. A suggestion for the next time y'all are sick, though, would be to listen to audiobooks. They would still get the rest time, but it shouldn't be so difficult to get back into the swing of things.
Whew, glad to hear it gets easier! They've always been excited for school so facing resistance is new for me. I'm working on building our audiobook collection and they did listen to some but I just don't have that many available through our library. Lesson learned! We never get sick but DS1 tested positive for flu b and he shared it with DS2. Thank goodness DH and I didn't catch it.

We've also recently started having some problems with DS1 expecting to have friends over to play every.single.day....even multiple times a day. He's a social butterfly and I have him in sports, music lessons, and church activities. He's does HS enrichment classes and it's still not enough. We had friends over to play for a couple of hours today and when they left he wanted to know if he could go to a different friend's house to play. He brings it up everyday, several times a day. How do y'all handle this?
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #68
Britches~in~Stitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

tallanvor-thanks, I know you we're posting for Jen, but I didn't know that about the books. As it is, I've already glossed over how the kids talk to one another and been uncomfortable with the third book, and the ghosts. Dd isn't allowed to read them by herself, but we've been torn because of the educational benefit of the companion books.

Aside from that, you have me thinking about making a batch of pumpkin bread, lol .

Mommy2JandS- wow! I hope you're feeling better, and here's to having a smooth few weeks.

7mom7- it's tough right after they've been sick. I don't know if it gets. Better as they get older,but I keep telling myself it does. . How old is your son? Dd knows there are certain days that friends can come over, and tht she needs approval from me before inviting them over or they'll be told no.

Last edited by Britches~in~Stitches; 02-28-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Britches~in~Stitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #69
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'll go back later an catch up on everyone's posts. We had a great week last week...I made a a schedule and pretty much stuck to it. We did some things out of order but got it all in. This week not so much . Plus I have a migraine today which isn't helping matters much. I spent the first two hours of the day trying not to throw up.

So far she's finished her drawing/writing in her language arts journal and read for 15 minutes. Now she's destroying the house making a tent and I'm sitting on the couch doing nothing lol
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #70
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I may just climb in her tent with her and take a nap
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote