Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #11
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasia1117 View Post
The time she actually didn't get paid amounts to two days. That is it. We paid her for Christmas day and we would have been off normally that Thursday and Friday. I guess you are all right in the fact it is more that we gave her a schedule with it written out and she says we weren't clear enough that she wasn't going to get paid. She also said that if this is/was going to happen again she would let us know if that was ok with her. We never offered paid time off when we interviewed her (although she is given 5 paid personal days and 10 paid holidays). I do not receive any paid time off that I do not earn. My time off is earned every pay period. Would it be crazy to set it up for her like that?

We are seriously considering another nanny, in fact we have talked to a few other nannies already. My biggest issue is that I don't want to "fire" her and leave on bad terms, in that she knows ALOT about our personal life, house, kids, car, etc. I don't think she would retaliate in any manner, but seemingly normal people do strange things these days.
Um...if it's ok with her? Wow that would rub me the wrong way. I certainly understand your concern but it really sounds like not a good fit....

Advertisement

mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #12
MomMe3
Registered Users

Re: How much do you pay your Nanny?

What was the final resolution with this?

I'm of two minds about it. On one hand, as devil's advocate, I think it's totally appropriate for a nanny to expect to be paid for hours that she's available if you're simply taking the time off because you want time at home. If you were paying a childcare center, you would pay for the full month even if you didn't bring your child everyday.

On the other hand, I use nannys and sitters and get really annoyed for paying for time that they're not working, so I can really see both sides.

The first nanny I ever hired, I paid a set amount a month and that was that (It was like $500 a month for p/t care). If I used her less, it didn't matter. (Like with a daycare.) With my next nanny, I paid her by the hour and based only on the hours she worked. She was paid around $10/hr.

With my current situation, we made an agreement but both of us can always negotiate. For full-time care, she's paid a daily rate. I will pay her for all holidays. If she misses a day or calls in sick, she's not paid for that day. If I cancel the day, I still pay her for day. I also allowed her to use my vehicle (and gas) for personal use while she's with LO, which to me is also compensation since gas is expensive (and it's helping her out).

For part-time care she's paid based on the number of days she works. Whether she works two hours that day, or 8 hours that day she gets the same amount. This works for her because there are often days when it's just a few hours, so she makes more than she would being paid hourly for PT work.

Going forward, if I hire someone else I will only pay a monthly set amount based on a set number of hours. Could you negotiate something like that with your nanny (or a future nanny) so that this doesn't happen again? I like it because I have my budget and it is what it is. I don't have to worry about going over budget. Also, the nanny knows what they're making and that's the end of it and it just feels fair.

Last edited by MomMe3; 01-08-2013 at 04:43 PM.
MomMe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #13
MrsNessy
Registered Users

I would have let her go after the speeding ticket. You sound like really nice people but I think she has made some major errors. The talking to you about not eating paid is understandable because I am sure she depends on every penny to make ends meet but the speeding ticket would have been it for me.
MrsNessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #14
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMe3 View Post
What was the final resolution with this?

I'm of two minds about it. On one hand, as devil's advocate, I think it's totally appropriate for a nanny to expect to be paid for hours that she's available if you're simply taking the time off because you want time at home. If you were paying a childcare center, you would pay for the full month even if you didn't bring your child everyday.
At my daycare I can change how many days a week I pay for. We went from full time to 2 days a week back to 3 over 2 months, and our rate is based on weekly days used. The only thing is if we call in sick we still pay. If we want a week off we pay 50% to save a spot ?
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #15
doodah
Registered Users
seller

the most important thing is to always have everything in writing in a contract. The fact that she did not require one and the fact that she got a speeding ticket, shows me that she is not a professional nanny with high standards. I would decide what you want and then stick to that. If you start compromising on huge things at the interviews, you are going to end up resenting your nanny....when that is not really her fault. If they ask you for this or that and you agree, you have to take the responsibility for agreeing to something that you didnt want to do in the first place. its important to know what you want and communicate that effectively. you also need to be able to say no down the road. this isnt all on the nanny because relationships take two people, you know?
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #16
firemommaof1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry but I would have to find someone else. Speeding ticket, china cups, and the pay are three strikes your out. There are plenty of other nanny's that would be responsible.
Kai Grayson Arrived June 3 2014
firemommaof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #17
iheartinky
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
the most important thing is to always have everything in writing in a contract. The fact that she did not require one and the fact that she got a speeding ticket, shows me that she is not a professional nanny with high standards. I would decide what you want and then stick to that. If you start compromising on huge things at the interviews, you are going to end up resenting your nanny....when that is not really her fault. If they ask you for this or that and you agree, you have to take the responsibility for agreeing to something that you didnt want to do in the first place. its important to know what you want and communicate that effectively. you also need to be able to say no down the road. this isnt all on the nanny because relationships take two people, you know?
this is an excellent suggestion! We had problems with a sitter (not a nanny) and learned a hard lesson. Everything is in writing and very clear and specific. A lot less stress now!
Old 02-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #18
heynay01
Registered Users

We're going to do a nanny share once I go back to work at the equivalent of $700/month with 1 other child being cared for (no clue how much she charges them). I agree with other mama's that you need a new nanny, and I'm glad I read this thread - completely escaped my mind to do a written contract even though I do them all the time when I sell our kittens.
heynay01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #19
bonusround
Registered Users
seller

When I was a nanny, I also made between 10-15/hour, depending on how many children/ages/etc.
bonusround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #20
alyxmegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have worked as a nanny and the only advise I have is to write up a contract. I will not work for a family without a written agreement. It protects you from a nanny who isn't following the guideline like what you are experiencing and it so protects the nanny from any bad situations with the family (ex: I was working as a nanny for a nurse and a deployed military husband. We had agreed on a weekly salary and after a while she just cut my pay more than in half and upped my expected hours and when I tried to have a discussion with her about it she fired me on the spot. Then she tried pressing charges on me for not showing up at our agreed time.)
As for pay I wish I was making $13 an hour as a nanny. The norm here is about 8.50 an hour!
alyxmegan is offline   Reply With Quote