Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2013, 07:09 AM   #11
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

It is tough when you don't have any support. DS2 would never take a bottle or a sippy cup, no matter how many different kinds we tried. We just never left him anywhere. He always came with us. He also wouldn't let anyone but me hold him for 9 months. He is 20 months now and is just fine.

Advertisement

Teddyandnick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #12
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: i need some encouragement!

Baby does not hold his own bottle because he does not drink from one. DH needs to realize that his child's nutrition is more important than his going out. A sitter also needs to realize that a crying baby does not mean a hungry baby. Nurse the baby literally right before you leave the house from both sides. Then you will get a couple hours of time.

I use advent bottles and Tommy Tippy sippy cups. Some times he will take one and other times he will not.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #13
Mommy0912
Registered Users

I had to EP for a year, it was the toughest thing ever! I have been Bf'ing now for 7 months, it is so simple. I'm sorry your husband isn't more supportive, my husband loves the Bf'ing aspect because it cuts down on times he gets her at night, less bottles, etc. DD takes NUK bottles when I am working (12 hours a week) but is super picky about temperature which makes sense. Hopefully you can find another bottle that works and until then, date night at home? Having 2 now we do date nights on a whim. Order a good dessert, watch a movie at night after the Lo's are in bed
Mommy0912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #14
sugardumplings
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy0912 View Post
I had to EP for a year, it was the toughest thing ever! I have been Bf'ing now for 7 months, it is so simple. I'm sorry your husband isn't more supportive, my husband loves the Bf'ing aspect because it cuts down on times he gets her at night, less bottles, etc. DD takes NUK bottles when I am working (12 hours a week) but is super picky about temperature which makes sense. Hopefully you can find another bottle that works and until then, date night at home? Having 2 now we do date nights on a whim. Order a good dessert, watch a movie at night after the Lo's are in bed
Good idea! And i honestly dont know why hes complaining! He has not gotten up with him at night, ever! He has only tried to feed him a handful of times! But I definitely think for my own sanity, Im getting a little sleep deprived since he wakes up at least three times at night, I want to get him to take the bottle. I dont want to be the ONLY one who can take care of him!
sugardumplings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #15
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugardumplings View Post
We've actually started giving him baby food and sent some to the sitters last week, was only thing that even let us get thru dinner. Hubby also feels like I'm holding him back, that he should be able to hold his own bottle by now. I think the been7of breast milk are more important! Does anyone pump and feed daily? I'm thinking if i can bottle feed him 2-3 times a day that will help.
I don't see that you need to quit bf altogether but if you want him to take a bottle you do need to make it a fairly regular thing.

How about DH give him a bottle every day or every other day or something? It also might work best if you leave the house so you aren't an option?

DH used to feed the kids with a bottle every evening after dinner so I had the evening off if I wanted to go out.

The food idea is a great one too for those times when you are going out.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #16
sugardumplings
Registered Users
seller

I agree, I dont want to quit bf! I just need to work harder at getting him to take the bottle. I pumped regularly the first couple months but now seems alot harder to keep up with it! Any advice how to work in pumping when still bf and having a 2 yr old and 6 month old?
sugardumplings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #17
organicmama10
Registered Users
seller
seller

I went back to work this week and my LO wouldn't take the bottle from the nanny. We tried twice prior and she took it the first time and did not the 2nd we thought she was just fpbeing fussy the 2nd time. Anyhow, after stressing over it, running to bru, and calling the peds office......and stress some more.....she ended up taking the bottle that night! So, the nurse said to be persistent and ensure that someone else offer the bottle and that bottles, nipples and brand, etc won't change a thing. I sort of disagree....to a degree. So at bru, the associate recommended tommy Tippee as it somewhat mimics the breast. I looked at the calma as well and almost bought one but ended up buying the TT. On the way home, I realized we have wide necked Dr Browns in addition to the regular dr browns. So, I decided to give those a try since it's very similar to the TT. Lord and behold....it worked! DH offered it to her and she took it and 2 bottles!! Nanny was somewhat skeptical the next morning but I told her to be persistent and just try and she did and LO took bottles from her. She now takes the bottle when I'm away! Yay!!! I think it's up to you if you want to try multiple bottles but a wide necked one should help. BFing is not easy but it's the best thing for the babe. Just hang in there. Added stress from anyone esp DH won't help. Perhaps remind him the importance and of the benefits it gives to your LO. Good luck mama!!
organicmama10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #18
organicmama10
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugardumplings
I agree, I dont want to quit bf! I just need to work harder at getting him to take the bottle. I pumped regularly the first couple months but now seems alot harder to keep up with it! Any advice how to work in pumping when still bf and having a 2 yr old and 6 month old?
Oh, we also have a 2.5 yo. Pump when you get a chance, in between feedings, naps, or when DH is home. I pump occasionally at home as time permits and pump once to twice a day while at work (depends on the duration I'm there). I do it late at night as well right before I go to bed. Try to fit it in when you have a moment.
organicmama10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #19
Stacy418
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.thealphaparent.com/2011/1...tfed-baby.html

I found this read very interesting, it outlines the health benefits of breast feeding from birth to 1 year. Maybe show them this and it will help convince them the "inconvenience" is worth it in thee long run!
Stacy418 is offline   Reply With Quote